Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    I am confident you will get your first two gifts. I hope K adds more than one before leaving. A new puppy is on my list. Two years since losing my two labs within a year of each other.
    Agreed... I still think it's possible for K to get two more.

I am confident you will get your first two gifts. I hope K adds more than one before leaving. A new puppy is on my list. Two years since losing my two labs within a year of each other.
    As our two labs got older (12 and 13) my wife proposed we get a lab puppy to be trained in good habits by the older two...worked like a charm...

Yes, I proposed that, but my wife was so attached to the oldest one, that she fought that idea. She was so attached that I am having a hard time even talking her into a new puppy.

Yes, I proposed that, but my wife was so attached to the oldest one, that she fought that idea. She was so attached that I am having a hard time even talking her into a new puppy.
    My wife was similarly attached to our then 13 year old male, but he became a giant fan of the puppy, and lasted two more happy years...it had a definite rejuvenating effect...we've done this before, it clearly perks up the older dogs, and we make sure that the puppy gives them the proper respect...they learn pretty quickly what the limits are...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    My wife was similarly attached to our then 13 year old male, but he became a giant fan of the puppy, and lasted two more happy years...it had a definite rejuvenating effect...we've done this before, it clearly perks up the older dogs, and we make sure that the puppy gives them the proper respect...they learn pretty quickly what the limits are...
    I didn't know that Paolo Banchero likes dogs so much.

I will report from my extended family that COVID-19, which makes most people stay home, makes the dogs very, very happy.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

If I get another pup, I'll name it Patrick Baldwin, Jr. if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I didn't know that Paolo Banchero likes dogs so much.

I will report from my extended family that COVID-19, which makes most people stay home, makes the dogs very, very happy.
    The World Health Organization has declared that canines can't catch COVID, so any such animals in quarantine may be released.

In other words, WHO let the dogs out.

(I'm here all week; try the veal)

Poster Alert!

Here's a fun video of Paolo Banchero and his Rotary AAU team against Patrick Baldwin, Jr. and the Phenom Universe team from September 5, 2020. This was an impressive performance from Paolo, including his baseline drive and poster. He catches Baldwin flat-footed and dunks on Phenom U's Kobe Johnson (yes, Kobe is Jalen's younger brother and recently committed to USC - another Kobe in LA!). Baldwin had a rough game in this one, but you can see how talented he is overall. The shot is as clean as you'll see in the game and he has impressive ball-handling, passing, and basketball IQ. Banchero was the star of the show, though. He can shoot, handle, and gets where he wants on the court. He's a three-level scorer and just as comfortable breaking his man down off the dribble as he is posting up near the hoop. His passing is an underrated aspect of his game. He's an exciting prospect and could end up as one of the best big men to come through Duke.

One other note: The big dude on the Rotary team is TJ Tuimoloau, one of the top 3-5 football prospects in the country. He's a defensive end. Kinda neat that the same AAU team has two of the top overall prospects in sports.

Banchero nickname?

I would like to emerge from the shadows for a moment to propose the nickname "Eggs" Banchero.

I suppose that would make AJ Griffin "Steak", resulting in "Steak and Eggs".

*slips back behind curtain*

Andrew Dawkins hosted Paolo Banchero on the Dawkins on Duke podcast for the Field of 68 recently. You can see that Paolo has cut his distinctive haircut for something a little more aerodynamic. The two had a long conversation about a lot of topics. Here is a short video describing what led Paolo to choose Coach K and Duke. I find it interesting that so many people around Paolo were saying he was a lock to Washington to such a degree that no one even bothered to recruit him at first.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Andrew Dawkins hosted Paolo Banchero on the Dawkins on Duke podcast for the Field of 68 recently. You can see that Paolo has cut his distinctive haircut for something a little more aerodynamic. The two had a long conversation about a lot of topics. Here is a short video describing what led Paolo to choose Coach K and Duke. I find it interesting that so many people around Paolo were saying he was a lock to Washington to such a degree that no one even bothered to recruit him at first.

Cool interview. FYI, it's Andre Dawkins.

By the way, I miss the hair.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Cool interview. FYI, it's Andre Dawkins.

By the way, I miss the hair.
    Blargh, my fingers added a W. My brain knows it's Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneBanksManCrush View Post
    I would like to emerge from the shadows for a moment to propose the nickname "Eggs" Banchero.

I suppose that would make AJ Griffin "Steak", resulting in "Steak and Eggs".

*slips back behind curtain*
    HUEVOS!

This can double as a comment on the size of his onions when he takes and makes some big shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    HUEVOS!

This can double as a comment on the size of his onions when he takes and makes some big shots.
    He's part Italian, so I propose Uova

Banchero Documentary

Coming back from a brief hiatus to share with you this video. Having not watched him play, he looks to be more perimeter oriented than one who bangs down low which makes me very excited about his potential. His athleticism, ball handling, and versatility should help a ton on this team.

Thanks for posting. When I see him on the court, I see a shot maker. Jayson Tatum, plus 2 inches and 30 lbs. Very excited to see him in a Duke uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Thanks for posting. When I see him on the court, I see a shot maker. Jayson Tatum, plus 2 inches and 30 lbs. Very excited to see him in a Duke uniform.
    Yeah. Good lord. He's like Tatum in Demarcus Cousins' body.

And the scene in Seattle seems pretty cool. Lots of guys taking care of each other and the next generation.

Looks like he's getting some pretty high level training from someone with pro-level experience. Is that common among these top high schoolers? I'm also curious how things will translate to Duke's strength and conditioning program which is much more traditional.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Looks like he's getting some pretty high level training from someone with pro-level experience. Is that common among these top high schoolers? I'm also curious how things will translate to Duke's strength and conditioning program which is much more traditional.
    I agree - those were some impressive workouts.

I seem to remember that the Duke team kept Zion off the free weights so he wouldn't bulk up further. Functional training has become more and more popular in recent years and I expect our training staff is all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    Yeah. Good lord. He's like Tatum in Demarcus Cousins' body.

And the scene in Seattle seems pretty cool. Lots of guys taking care of each other and the next generation.
    I prefer to be original, but yeah, Tatum is the comp that came to mind. Paolo is a very skilled young player at this point, and bigger and more physically developed than Tatum was in college.

Paolo should be dynamite in the high post, and teams will have to also guard Mark Williams close to the basket. Let's hope our shooters can take advantage of what should be some great opportunities.