Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    wildcats no like...
    To be honest, this is probably my favorite thing about this commitment. It's that he was Calipari's #1 target

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    https://twitter.com/Pp_doesit/status...046512128?s=20

To me, the thing that stands out the most is how skilled he is as a play maker. This particular video doesn't show a ton of his ball handling and passing, but he is really impressive with the ball for a big man.

He will be a killer in the high post, where he can attack slower bigs with his elite face up game, or drop dimes to cutters with his great passing and vision.
    Thanks, kAzE!

OK, I’m excited. In Paolo’s own words:

“[Coach K] doesn’t really say I play like him, but he says my IQ and my mind, and just the way I talk on the floor, reminds him of Shane Battier. Just being able to talk and being a leader, and just having a great IQ, that’s the one player who he says I remind him of… just the way I see the game.”

Huevos!

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    To be honest, this is probably my favorite thing about this commitment. It's that he was Calipari's #1 target
    I don’t like linking to BallDurham but there’s a good little story here that just had to feel like salt in a wound for Calipari... ouch!

https://balldurham.com/2020/08/23/ke...aolo-banchero/
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    OK, I’m excited. In Paolo’s own words:
    Paolo was doing a lot of positive talking in the huddle at the beginning of his mix tape. I'm hoping that is his 'normal' mode.
    I really liked his mobility. He moves like a much smaller player with good body control, and it's easy to forget he has good size. Judging from the video, he's got some room to put on more muscle, too.
    If he is indeed a good communicator, has a good motor (per the reports), and moves that well, he has the potential to be really special.

Dare I say that Paolo Banchero will be the closest thing to Christian Laettner we've had since...well Christian Laettner?

He seems to have the complete skillset. Sweet midrange jumper. Strong drives to the hoop with excellent ballhandling for a 6'10 monster. Can even hit the occassional 3. Guards multiple positions.

Mature beyond his years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Dare I say that Paolo Banchero will be the closest thing to Christian Laettner we've had since...well Christian Laettner?

He seems to have the complete skillset. Sweet midrange jumper. Strong drives to the hoop with excellent ballhandling for a 6'10 monster. Can even hit the occassional 3. Guards multiple positions.

Mature beyond his years.
    That would be great. Having said that, what made Laettner Laettner was his rather unique mindset, even more important than the skills you mention, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post

Mature beyond his years.
    You know, I had that same thought watching his mixtape. Similar size. Makes shots all over the floor. Good court vision and passer. Seems to be a vocal presence on the court. I think Paolo may be a little more athletic than Laettner.

But Laettner had an unbelievable competitive fire and is the most celebrated and accomplished player in Duke history. Unfortunately, Paolo won't be around Durham long enough to attempt to fill those shoes...

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    You know, I had that same thought watching his mixtape. Similar size. Makes shots all over the floor. Good court vision and passer. Seems to be a vocal presence on the court. I think Paolo may be a little more athletic than Laettner.

But Laettner had an unbelievable competitive fire and is the most celebrated and accomplished player in Duke history. Unfortunately, Paolo won't be around Durham long enough to attempt to fill those shoes...
    In my mind, there may never be another Christian Laettner at Duke or maybe in the ACC. For one thing, he played 4 years of college basketball and won two NCAAT. The player that could have come close to Laettner's career was Zion but those days are over. I do feel Paolo will be a great college player and should make the players around him better. But Christian and David Thompson are in a league of their own.

I'd say if he ends up a combination of Giannis, Laettner, and Battier, our team will do well.

He will be very good for his 1 year at Duke but so have many others.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    In my mind, there may never be another Christian Laettner at Duke or maybe in the ACC. For one thing, he played 4 years of college basketball and won two NCAAT. The player that could have come close to Laettner's career was Zion but those days are over. I do feel Paolo will be a great college player and should make the players around him better. But Christian and David Thompson are in a league of their own.
    Agree. That kind of greatness takes years to accomplish and will not come again unless massive systemic change occurs.

Christian wasn't Laettner at the conclusion of his first year. David Thompson wasn't the legend that inspired Michael Jordan at the end of his either. But they both would have been lottery picks in the modern nba draft.

Paolo may be the 2nd coming of Laettner or Battier. I hope he is. But he won't have the level of impact on Duke's program or the collegiate accomplishments of either player. He won't have time.

Could Paolo be the next Ingram, Kyrie, Tatum, Bagley, Zion, Deng for our program with the skillset of a Battier/ Laettner? I certainly hope so and I'm eager to find out.

Take-Home Quiz -- Duke Lottery Picks Since Kyrie

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post

Could Paolo be the next Ingram, Kyrie, Tatum, Bagley, Zion, Deng for our program with the skillset of a Battier/ Laettner? I certainly hope so and I'm eager to find out.
    Since Kyrie Irving's selection, Duke has had 13 draft lottery picks -- all one-and-done players. Can you figure out which year each player was picked? Here they are in alphabetical order:

• Bagley, Marvin
    • Barrett, R.J.
    • Carter, Wendell
    • Ingram, Brandon
    • Irving, Kyrie
    • Kennard, Luke
    • Okafor, Jahlil
    • Parker, Jabari
    • Reddish, Cam
    • Rivers, Austin
    • Tatum, Jayson
    • Williamson, Zion
    • Winslow, Justise

Prior to Kyrie the only one-and-done players so highly drafted were Luol Deng and Corey Maggette.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Since Kyrie Irving's selection, Duke has had 13 draft lottery picks -- all one-and-done players. Can you figure out which year each player was picked? Here they are in alphabetical order:

• Bagley, Marvin
    • Barrett, R.J.
    • Carter, Wendell
    • Ingram, Brandon
    • Irving, Kyrie
    • Kennard, Luke
    • Okafor, Jahlil
    • Parker, Jabari
    • Reddish, Cam
    • Rivers, Austin
    • Tatum, Jayson
    • Williamson, Zion
    • Winslow, Justise

Prior to Kyrie the only one-and-done players so highly drafted were Luol Deng and Corey Maggette.
    Wasn’t Luke two and done?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I believe so. I felt like he didn't belong on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post

Perhaps alarmingly so?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Right. I hadn't noticed Luke on the list until I typed it up.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Early Christmas list for Santa asks for Banchero to recruit Baldwin to Duke (along with Keels), K sails into semi-retirement with another championship...plus maybe a puppy or something...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Early Christmas list for Santa asks for Banchero to recruit Baldwin to Duke (along with Keels), K sails into semi-retirement with another championship...plus maybe a puppy or something...
    I am confident you will get your first two gifts. I hope K adds more than one before leaving. A new puppy is on my list. Two years since losing my two labs within a year of each other.