Page 54 of 68 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1350
    I think if the Celtics thought they could move Heyward for legit interior help, they already would have. Stevens may be sentimental. Danny Ainge is not. Just ask Isiah Thomas.

If Heyward’s trade value has improved at all it’s because he’s an expiring contract. That might help the Cs move him but I don’t see them getting a stud in return, much less more than one.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I think if the Celtics thought they could move Heyward for legit interior help, they already would have. Stevens may be sentimental. Danny Ainge is not. Just ask Isiah Thomas.

If Heyward’s trade value has improved at all it’s because he’s an expiring contract. That might help the Cs move him but I don’t see them getting a stud in return, much less more than one.
    Maybe. But maybe the Celtics hadn’t traded Hayward yet because they were giving it one more shot to see how he would do in the playoffs.

And they don’t need a “stud” in return for Hayward. Boston already has studs. What they need is addition by subtraction while getting players who better fit their needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Maybe. But maybe the Celtics hadn’t traded Hayward yet because they were giving it one more shot to see how he would do in the playoffs.

And they don’t need a “stud” in return for Hayward. Boston already has studs. What they need is addition by subtraction while getting players who better fit their needs.
    Well, how he did in the playoffs was . . . not very well. He was pretty good in his first game back, but after that pretty much gave them nothing and got killed on D.

I don't think Boston needs addition by subtraction. They need addition. Meaning, they need to strengthen the bench. Wannamaker is OK as a backup guard but he's tiny, like Kemba. Grant Williams wasn't bad vs. Miami but he's like 6'6". Not sure what happened to Robert Williams in that series. But they have to lengthen the bench.

Other question they have to answer is about Kemba. Is he truly OK with being a third banana? Because for Boston to achieve its potential, I think it has to be clear that Tatum and Brown eat first. If Kemba isn't OK with that, Boston should try to move him for several players, but his contract is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Well, how he did in the playoffs was . . . not very well. He was pretty good in his first game back, but after that pretty much gave them nothing and got killed on D.

I don't think Boston needs addition by subtraction. They need addition. Meaning, they need to strengthen the bench. Wannamaker is OK as a backup guard but he's tiny, like Kemba. Grant Williams wasn't bad vs. Miami but he's like 6'6". Not sure what happened to Robert Williams in that series. But they have to lengthen the bench.

Other question they have to answer is about Kemba. Is he truly OK with being a third banana? Because for Boston to achieve its potential, I think it has to be clear that Tatum and Brown eat first. If Kemba isn't OK with that, Boston should try to move him for several players, but his contract is a problem.
    Brad is a lot of things, but tiny isn't one of them. He's 6'3" and weights 210lb. To put that in perspective, Russell Westbrook is 6'3" and weights 200lb. Brad's issue is he isn't a difference maker at all. He's okay at offense. He's okay at defense. He's just okay.

And your bench these days needs to be good. Look at the Heat or the Lakers. They have good benches.

Boston needs a) a better 5 and b) a stronger bench.

The core 4 + Myles Turner + a bench consisting of Theis + Grant Williams + Wanamaker + 2 veteran wings + 1 scoring guard is a nice rotation. And you can absolutely get Myles Turner and a veteran wing with Hayward. The other pieces can come via trades with the 35 picks the Celtics have over the next 4 years.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I’m patiently waiting for the next comment in the “How To Fix The Celtics” thread.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I’m patiently waiting for the next comment in the “How To Fix The Celtics” thread.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    I hear that after he wins this one in LA, LeBron wants to win one in Boston.

Bookends.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I hear that after he wins this one in LA, LeBron wants to win one in Boston.

Bookends.

-jk
    jk, I am nearly 100% certain you are joking. Surely you jest, right? Right, jk?

jk, I am nearly 100% certain you are joking. Surely you jest, right? Right, jk?
    No, it’s true. LeBron told me that just last week when we spoke.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    No, it’s true. LeBron told me that just last week when we spoke.
    One last championship with the C's, then he commands Stevens to quit and go coach Duke?

Sounds like a DBR post to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    One last championship with the C's, then he commands Stevens to quit and go coach Duke?

Sounds like a DBR post to me!
    So that Bronnie can play for Stevens at Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    So that Bronnie can play for Stevens at Duke?
    Exactly! Were you listening in on our conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Exactly! Were you listening in on our conversation?
    Elvis told me all about it over brunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Elvis told me all about it over brunch.
    He heard about it from me. I called him right after I got off the phone with Bron.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    I find the matchup in the finals to be fairly uninteresting and I'm bummed that it's come down to these two teams (with no Duke presence - QC being inactive doesn't count). One team has Danny Green, once again riding the coattails of good players, and LeBron who whines at every call. The other team, Jimmy Butler, who plays well but I just can't get behind. Both teams have UK players (second most annoying fan base in men's hoops behind the cheaters). So, yeah, I'm good with a discussion on how to fix a team lead by a young Duke player.

What can we do to help the Pelicans?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I find the matchup in the finals to be fairly uninteresting and I'm bummed that it's come down to these two teams (with no Duke presence - QC being inactive doesn't count). One team has Danny Green, once again riding the coattails of good players, and LeBron who whines at every call. The other team, Jimmy Butler, who plays well but I just can't get behind. Both teams have UK players (second most annoying fan base in men's hoops behind the cheaters). So, yeah, I'm good with a discussion on how to fix a team lead by a young Duke player.

Speaking of Elvis...

In all seriousness, I completely agree with you. It's going to be hard for me to put aside my personal dislike for UNC and UK players, Jimmy Butler, and Pat Riley in these Finals and just watch basketball. I'd much rather have seen a different matchup.

Any help the Pelicans can receive this offseason has to start with a solid hire on their next HC.

I think there are some pretty compelling (albeit, as you note, non-Duke) storylines. The Lebron-Riley/Heat storyline is interesting despite all parties denying it. Lebron's pursuit of a 4th championship with a 3rd franchise is historic. I think it's it's great that Iggy is on the Heat and this is his 6th appearance in as many years. Butler has received a lot of flack for being rough in the locker room but he seems pretty pumped about his current situation.

Battier and Arison are Duke guys on the heat side.

I'll admit, I don't watch much regular season NBA but do enjoy the play-offs. I miss the intensity of the crowds though. They've done a bang up job under the circumstances but this all just doesn't feel as consequential.

I am rooting for good numbers and a compelling series though. I think we should all root for Silver's success in concluding the season.

Pretty easy.

Duke related changes:

1) Have a Pelicans staffer track Zion 24/7. Manage what he eats, drinks, and how he exercises.

2) Teach Zion and Ingram this thing called defense. It's kinda important and will lead to more wins.

3) Cut Jah. He's useless on this team, especially with Zion being a bad defender at this point.

Non-Duke related changes:

4) Package a bunch of young players (possibly including Jackson) and draft picks for a really good 5. Hell, package those players AND Ball for an elite 5.

5) Do not extend Ball for a max. Make sure he continues to work on scoring. He's already an elite playmaker and defender.

6) Keep JJ and Jrue. Two veterans who are great in the locker room and add value (JJ for his shooting; Jrue for his scoring and defending).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Pretty easy.

Duke related changes:

1) Have a Pelicans staffer track Zion 24/7. Manage what he eats, drinks, and how he exercises.

2) Teach Zion and Ingram this thing called defense. It's kinda important and will lead to more wins.

3) Cut Jah. He's useless on this team, especially with Zion being a bad defender at this point.

Stopped reading there...

Zach Lowe breaks down the Finals match-up and predicts (!!SPOILER!!) Lakers in 6

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/pag...akers-heat-why

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Pretty easy.

Duke related changes:

4) Package a bunch of young players (possibly including Jackson) and draft picks for a really good 5. Hell, package those players AND Ball for an elite 5.

5) Do not extend Ball for a max. Make sure he continues to work on scoring. He's already an elite playmaker and defender.

6) Keep JJ and Jrue. Two veterans who are great in the locker room and add value (JJ for his shooting; Jrue for his scoring and defending).
    That's a pretty good take. One thing that I have noticed is that Ball plays well with Zion. That might be reason enough to keep him but 100% agree with your point #5. After watching Zion play last year I was shocked at how badly he played defense for the Pelicans (along with everyone else). As for Jah, he can really score...still...but he just doesn't seem to understand how to play defense. It's frustrating because he's so young and seems to have so much potential (needs a better motor too).