Page 53 of 68 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1350
  1. #1041
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Will be snapped up quickly I suspect
    Finally. They waited 2-3 years too long.

  2. #1042
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    They wouldn't get him for 4-5 years, they would get him for 1 year at $34 million. He is not a $34 million quality player at this point. Getting two low first-round draft picks as an enticement is probably necessary to get another team to acquire Hayward; but I'm not sure that it's worth giving up a talented young big who is locked up at a relatively reasonable price for the next 3 seasons ($18mm/year through the 2023 season).
    Well, they would get Hayward for what remains on his contract and then sign him to a new contract for much less than $34 million per year.

  3. #1043
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Well, they would get Hayward for what remains on his contract and then sign him to a new contract for much less than $34 million per year.
    See Jason Evans previous post. Hayward has very little trade value.

  4. #1044
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Well, they would get Hayward for what remains on his contract and then sign him to a new contract for much less than $34 million per year.
    Ok, so you're posing a trade where part of it is an agreement with Hayward to extend with the Pacers at some number substantially lower than $34 million/year. Why would Hayward agree to do that, as opposed to playing out the last year of his contract and then seeing what he can get on the free market after the 2021 season?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  5. #1045
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    See Jason Evans previous post. Hayward has very little trade value.
    How do you know heís right about that? Maybe Indiana sees him differently.

    None of us will know the answer to this until there are actually some trades proposed. We are all just guessing.

  6. #1046
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Ok, so you're posing a trade where part of it is an agreement with Hayward to extend with the Pacers at some number substantially lower than $34 million/year. Why would Hayward agree to do that, as opposed to playing out the last year of his contract and then seeing what he can get on the free market after the 2021 season?
    Iím not saying Hayward would agree to that. Iím saying thatís what Indiana would TRY to get him to agree to do. And once he were to see as a free agent the offers he would get from other teams he might realize that signing with Indiana is the way to go. Who knows? Itís all just speculation.

  7. #1047
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mount Kisco, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Here is a trade that I think would help the Celtics: Gordon Hayward to Pacers for Myles Turner, Jeremy Lamb and Aaron Holiday. With this trade Boston addresses its need for size without sacrificing spacing (the 6í11Ē, 250-pound Turner has a 36.3 three-point percentage since last season), adds a reliable wing reserve (once Lamb is recovered from his torn ACL) and perks up the second unit with a 23-year-old playmaker (Holiday). The Celtics immediately become less top-heavy and should expand their margin for error as a result. The rise of Tatum and Brown doesnít make him redundant, but their rising cap figures make it foolish to spend so much on a wing who will likely be taking even fewer shots when he returns because of how well the offense has flowed without him. The return in this deal is solid, with Myles Turner being the golden grab, Jeremy Lamb being a potential sixth man of the year candidate, and Aaron Holiday competing for backup minutes in the backcourt. That said, I believe Hayward (and a pick or two) could conceivably return both Turner and a player like T.J. Warren, who proved he wasnít a #1 option in the postseason but proved he was an elite scorer in the bubble.
    I actually think this deal makes a lot of sense. Turner is not the big man of the future for Indiana, Sabonis is. It is no secret that the Pacers big 3 are Sabonis, Oladipo and Brogdon. Granted, there is a tough injury history with that crew, but Turner is not a fit with those guys. Hayward would be.

    On the flip side, the Celtics need a more dynamic modern big who is also a tough defender - Turner checks both boxes and his salary is good for his output (although he's 3x higher than Theis). From a chemistry standpoint, he was on that FIBA squad with all 4 Celtics, and, one assumes, if the Celtics make this move that those guys will have spoken well of him.

    So that would put the Celtics in position to finish 7th in the FIBA World Cup!

    (don't forget that Tatum didn't play in the medal rounds)

    If Hayward left, the Pacers would still be in position to go after free agents to round themselves out. They are a nice young team on the rise.

  8. #1048
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I actually think this deal makes a lot of sense. Turner is not the big man of the future for Indiana, Sabonis is. It is no secret that the Pacers big 3 are Sabonis, Oladipo and Brogdon. Granted, there is a tough injury history with that crew, but Turner is not a fit with those guys. Hayward would be.

    On the flip side, the Celtics need a more dynamic modern big who is also a tough defender - Turner checks both boxes and his salary is good for his output (although he's 3x higher than Theis). From a chemistry standpoint, he was on that FIBA squad with all 4 Celtics, and, one assumes, if the Celtics make this move that those guys will have spoken well of him.

    So that would put the Celtics in position to finish 7th in the FIBA World Cup!

    (don't forget that Tatum didn't play in the medal rounds)

    If Hayward left, the Pacers would still be in position to go after free agents to round themselves out. They are a nice young team on the rise.
    Itís pretty clear that Hayward is damaged goods at this point. I donít think any team that may trade for him knows exactly what theyíre getting. Hence that drops his trade value tremendously. Add in the one year, 34 million contract and Jason is right. Only someone attracted to shedding salary is going to be interested.

  9. #1049
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mount Kisco, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Itís pretty clear that Hayward is damaged goods at this point. I donít think any team that may trade for him knows exactly what theyíre getting. Hence that drops his trade value tremendously. Add in the one year, 34 million contract and Jason is right. Only someone attracted to shedding salary is going to be interested.
    Because of the desire to build around Sabonis, I think the Pacers would be happy with a one year Hayward rental and, if he works out, they could sign him to Turner money but have better positional alignment moving forward. If it doesnít work out, they are in great cap shape with a solid young nucleus.

  10. Or they could use Turner to trade for a better contract / player than Hayward elsewhere. There will be demand for Turner, a mobile defensive big man that doesn't require the ball much to be effective.

  11. #1051
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    https://hoopshype.com/rumor/1389099/

    Allegedly both Oladipo and Turner want out.

  12. #1052
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Hayward represents an expiring contract, which for reasons I can never fully understand is an extremely valuable commodity in the NBA. Plus, if you're willing to give Kemba a break for being injured these playoffs then you should also be willing to do the same for Hayward, who returned quickly from injury and also sacrificed being present for the birth of his son and early weeks of parenting in order to continue playing in the bubble. He's overpaid and now has an injury history, but still a valuable player and has a good relationship with Stevens.

    Tough news for Rivers, whom I consider part of the extended Duke family. I have no doubt he'll be hired elsewhere though.

  13. #1053
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Or they could use Turner to trade for a better contract / player than Hayward elsewhere. There will be demand for Turner, a mobile defensive big man that doesn't require the ball much to be effective.
    Shhhhh 🤫.

    Come on, man, the Pacers are almost certainly regular readers of DBR. I donít want them to start second-guessing going after Hayward. Letís keep this on the down-low.

  14. #1054
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    You are correct, sir!
    You can jump through as many hoops as you want to, but the bottom line is I was still correct. The Lakers won in five.

  15. #1055
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Hayward represents an expiring contract, which for reasons I can never fully understand is an extremely valuable commodity in the NBA. Plus, if you're willing to give Kemba a break for being injured these playoffs then you should also be willing to do the same for Hayward, who returned quickly from injury and also sacrificed being present for the birth of his son and early weeks of parenting in order to continue playing in the bubble. He's overpaid and now has an injury history, but still a valuable player and has a good relationship with Stevens.

    Tough news for Rivers, whom I consider part of the extended Duke family. I have no doubt he'll be hired elsewhere though.
    This is exactly right. Was gonna post the same thing. Say you have a team like Washington and Bradley Beal is looking for an out, which would leave Washington looking to rebuild. You might be able to trade Hayward and a boat load of picks for Beal. Or you use Hayward and some other expiring or even attractive contracts, and you bring in Beal and John Wall, whose contract Washington would love to dump. The value to Washington is that the Hayward contract comes off the books the next year and they get rid of an albatross like Wall, allowing them the cap space to rebuild.

    Boston would probably have plenty of options over the course of the year.

  16. #1056
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Being widely reported that Doc Rivers is out as Clippers coach
    I know he has done his best with veteran teams, but I would love to see what he could do in New Orleans

  17. #1057
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I know he has done his best with veteran teams, but I would love to see what he could do in New Orleans
    Iím not surprised the Celtic sheen finally wore off heís underachieved with the lob city clippers teams and now this one. He probably needed another year to figure out the KL, PG dynamic but pro sports is a meritocracy of the moment, thatís for sure.

  18. #1058
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I know he has done his best with veteran teams, but I would love to see what he could do in New Orleans
    I suspect the Sixers might have an interest in Doc too.
    https://www.si.com/nba/76ers/news/ph...hed-doc-rivers
    Count the Philadelphia 76ers in as interested in Rivers. According to ESPN's Marc Spears, both the Sixers and the New Orleans Pelicans "have already reached out to former Clippers head coach Doc Rivers in regards to their head coach openings."

    Before Rivers' departure, the Sixers' search for a head coach was already down to two candidates in former Houston Rockets head coach Mike D'Antoni, and Los Angeles Clippers assistant, Ty Lue. Now that Rivers is available, however, the 76ers' coaching search could have a third top candidate involved as Philly seems to be interested in considering Rivers,
    More importantly, someone is going to walk into a pretty sweet situation in LA. I think the bubble was really bad for the Clippers and I would still make them one of the top 3-5 title contenders for next season. Houston is another sorta contending club that also has an opening. Do you have to be ok with Harden taking 50% of your shots to take the Houston job?
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  19. #1059
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I suspect the Sixers might have an interest in Doc too.
    https://www.si.com/nba/76ers/news/ph...hed-doc-rivers


    More importantly, someone is going to walk into a pretty sweet situation in LA. I think the bubble was really bad for the Clippers and I would still make them one of the top 3-5 title contenders for next season. Houston is another sorta contending club that also has an opening. Do you have to be ok with Harden taking 50% of your shots to take the Houston job?
    Disagree. It's a high risk / low reward opportunity from a coach's perspective. If you don't win, you're out. If you win, you need to convince Kawhi and George to resign, which is unlikely. There are no draft picks and little flexibility.

    If I'm an established coach, I wouldn't take it. Lots of other good roles out there where you are guaranteed to be a head coach for 2+ years, including NO and Indiana.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  20. #1060
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I actually think this deal makes a lot of sense. Turner is not the big man of the future for Indiana, Sabonis is. It is no secret that the Pacers big 3 are Sabonis, Oladipo and Brogdon. Granted, there is a tough injury history with that crew, but Turner is not a fit with those guys. Hayward would be.

    On the flip side, the Celtics need a more dynamic modern big who is also a tough defender - Turner checks both boxes and his salary is good for his output (although he's 3x higher than Theis). From a chemistry standpoint, he was on that FIBA squad with all 4 Celtics, and, one assumes, if the Celtics make this move that those guys will have spoken well of him.

    So that would put the Celtics in position to finish 7th in the FIBA World Cup!

    (don't forget that Tatum didn't play in the medal rounds)

    If Hayward left, the Pacers would still be in position to go after free agents to round themselves out. They are a nice young team on the rise.
    Good post. The Pacers have two cornerstones in Sabonis and Brogdon (and a good scorer in TJ Warren). They aren't getting rid of either. But the issue with the Pacers is both these players aren't young. Brogdon is 27 and Sabonis is 24 (Warren in 27). If anything, the Pacers want to win now.

    We also know Turner wants out (which makes sense, given he's a clear second banana to Sabonis) and Oladipo is not a happy camper. Bad injury, bad recover, bad year. Does he really want out? Not sure, but it's not looking good.

    Hayward provides another proven scorer who can probably get you 15-20 points a game easy (he averaged 17 a game this past year). He's a productive player, a good wing option, and plays decent defense.

    But there are two issues with Hayward and the Celtics. 1) he gets paid like a boss when in reality he's a 4th banana on this team (at best) and 2) although he provides depth, he doesn't solve the Celtics main concern of a lack of a 5. And the only way to get that 5 is to trade a player. And guess what? The Pacers have the perfect 5 for the Celtics.

    The Celtics want to keep Hayward...if he wasn't the highest paid player on the team.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Similar Threads

  1. NHL Playoffs
    By Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-05-2017, 08:40 PM
  2. NBA Playoffs
    By superdave in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 748
    Last Post: 06-17-2011, 11:51 PM
  3. NHL Playoffs
    By mac46 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 11:04 AM
  4. PGA Playoffs
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-20-2010, 11:55 AM
  5. NFL Playoffs
    By YourLandlord in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 01-27-2010, 09:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •