Page 14 of 68 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Portland showed a lot of fight hanging in with the Lakers without Damian Lillard. Big game for McCollum, and a bit of a throwback from Carmelo Anthony.

But wow, what a showing from LeBron (36 pts 10 reb 10 asst) and Anthony Davis (43 pts, 9 rebs, 4 asst). Together they scored 79 points on just 37 shots. That's hard to beat! But the lingering question as the Lakers advance: will they get enough support from the rest of the roster?
    if they don’t play Quinn...no.

Seriously Gary hit a few big ones in the game. What seems to be impressive is his defense. Guarding Lebron is a big responsibility. Maybe someone more qualified than me can comment on his D but I thought he looked good and my goodness is he turning into a big lad!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Listening to all the talk about Mitchell and Murray in this Denver/Utah series has me thinking about "Glengarry Glen Ross".

Which guy would you want on your team right now, Murray or Mitchell?

Murrell? Mitchay?

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Which guy would you want on your team right now, Murray or Mitchell?
    Probably Mitchell, but it's close--Murray has been fantastic as well.

Denver's roster is so lopsided right now, with Jokic and lots of rotation-quality bigs (Millsap, Plumlee, Porter, Grant) and very few healthy guards, basically just Murray and Monte Morris. So the return of Garry Harris tonight is something to keep an eye on. He looks rusty in his first outing (he hasn't played since March 11), but the longer the Nuggets can hang around in the playoffs, the more Harris can help take the scoring load off of Murray. And he is the type of player that could feast on easy looks when the defense keys in on the Murray-Jokic pick and roll.

Barkley is just going off on Quinn in the post-game, sayyng that any good coach would make adjustments when 'one guy' is killing your team single-handedly, that nobody should allow an opponent to score 21 in the fourth quarter of an elimination game, etc. Pretty harsh. Kenny is actually kind of defending him, perhaps unwittingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Listening to all the talk about Mitchell and Murray in this Denver/Utah series has me thinking about "Glengarry Glen Ross".
    “And to answer your question, pal, why am I here? I came here because Mitch and Murray asked me to, they asked me for a favor. I said, the real favor would be to follow my advice and fire your f$@%ing a##, because a loser is a loser.”

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Probably Mitchell, but it's close--Murray has been fantastic as well.

Denver's roster is so lopsided right now, with Jokic and lots of rotation-quality bigs (Millsap, Plumlee, Porter, Grant) and very few healthy guards, basically just Murray and Monte Morris. So the return of Garry Harris tonight is something to keep an eye on. He looks rusty in his first outing (he hasn't played since March 11), but the longer the Nuggets can hang around in the playoffs, the more Harris can help take the scoring load off of Murray. And he is the type of player that could feast on easy looks when the defense keys in on the Murray-Jokic pick and roll.
    Should also add: with the lack of guards/wings Denver has been giving more and more minutes to Michael Porter Jr., but Utah has been exploiting his defense. Harris is a much more adept defender, hence he was +16 in his 20 minutes on the court, despite scoring just 4 points.

Utah may win game 7 anyway and make this all moot, but I think Harris's return really raises Denver's ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    “And to answer your question, pal, why am I here? I came here because Mitch and Murray asked me to, they asked me for a favor. I said, the real favor would be to follow my advice and fire your f$@%ing a##, because a loser is a loser.”
    YES!

"I’m here from downtown. I’m here from Mitch and Murray. And I’m here on a mission of mercy."

Bottom line, both (Donovan) Mitch(ell) and (Jamal) Murray have what it takes to sell real estate (and excel in the playoffs)...brass balls!

I couldn't stay awake to watch the second game, but Jimmy Butler did his thing in the Miami v Bucks game. I could not understand how they were letting him repeatedly catch the ball in the final few minutes when he scored about 10 points. I thought I was out on him after the shenanigans he pulled in Minnesota but the fact that he and Tyus were close was always a sign, to me, that maybe he was ok...and history has proven Andrew Wiggins to be a flake and KAT to be a little soft so maybe he had reason to be a d*ck.

I couldn't stay awake to watch the second game, but Jimmy Butler did his thing in the Miami v Bucks game. I could not understand how they were letting him repeatedly catch the ball in the final few minutes when he scored about 10 points. I thought I was out on him after the shenanigans he pulled in Minnesota but the fact that he and Tyus were close was always a sign, to me, that maybe he was ok...and history has proven Andrew Wiggins to be a flake and KAT to be a little soft so maybe he had reason to be a d*ck.
    Linking this back to Duke, I cannot understand how Brand let Jimmy and JJ go and sign Horford and resign Harris. I get Butler wanted out, but I'm sure management could have done something. They were one rim roll away from making the Eastern Conference finals.

Butler is an absolute winner. Not the most talented player, but certainly one of the hardest workers with one of the strongest "winner" mentalities.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Linking this back to Duke, I cannot understand how Brand let Jimmy and JJ go and sign Horford and resign Harris. I get Butler wanted out, but I'm sure management could have done something. They were one rim roll away from making the Eastern Conference finals.

Butler is an absolute winner. Not the most talented player, but certainly one of the hardest workers with one of the strongest "winner" mentalities.
    He's a really hard worker. It doesn't surprise me at all that he decided he was done with the dysfunctional Sixers.

Bottom line, both (Donovan) Mitch(ell) and (Jamal) Murray have what it takes to sell real estate (and excel in the playoffs)...brass balls!
    Which should come in handy if they end up facing the Thunder in the conference finals...

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    I think that most reasonable people would agree with two propositions: [1] It's difficult -- but possible -- to give an overall "improvement score" to a very complex, diverse society such as ours; [2] In many important respects there has been considerable progress in racial justice and opportunity since the 1960's.

I agree with the [I think pretty obvious] notion that we are seeing a backlash to many elements of that progress. There are numerous reasons for this backlash, including the belief by certain white cohorts that their way of life is being threatened. [Not justifying this belief.] Their fears are being amplified by social media and certain political leaders.

However, I would like to add another element to the overall "improvement [or not] score," issue, especially as it might be calibrated by Black people: The police, who have been given great power, including the use of lethal force, have a huge, pervasive impact on the everyday lives of Black people.

Yes, it's very important and noteworthy that Blacks, since the 60's have increased in number and levels of authority in their respective pursuits. But the most accomplished Black person still has to worry about whether a "routine" traffic stop by police will end in their mortality. Several speakers in Duke athletics [Kara Lawson, Nolan Smith and others] on Thursday lamented their daily anxiety about being stopped by police and perhaps suffering mortal harm.

What a burden to carry around everyday! As noted previously, no matter what level of accomplishment a Black person has achieved, one doesn't rise above this danger. It was so poignant to me when Nolan said, you know me, I'm no drug dealer, I'm not a thug, but I'm black...and that's enough. [We do know you, Nolan, as one of the finest people many of us have ever met.] Kara broke down in pain about her daily fears. None of her amazing accomplishments has earned her the right to feel -- and be -- safe, even as she just drives a car.

So, while there has been much progress in many areas, until and unless Black people feel fully safe in their cars, homes -- wherever they go, I easily understand why the areas of progress may not amount to much in their minds, hearts and lives.
    I know we are discouraged from responding to posts with agreement and kudos, but this post was so good that it deserves recognition. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this extremely complicated and hugely important subject.

Yawn... just 34 points on 17 shots for Tatum tonight. Oh, and 8 rebounds and 6 assists. Boston wins to go up 2-0 on the Raptors.

Dude is the best player on the team that, at this moment, looks like the most likely team from the East to make the finals. Oh, and he is just 22 years old.

-Jason "Danny Ainge should have 'Tatum plus a #1 for Fultz' tattooed on his chest so that he sees it every night when he is changing to get ready for bed" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yawn... just 34 points on 17 shots for Tatum tonight. Oh, and 8 rebounds and 6 assists. Boston wins to go up 2-0 on the Raptors.

Dude is the best player on the team that, at this moment, looks like the most likely team from the East to make the finals. Oh, and he is just 22 years old.

-Jason "Danny Ainge should have 'Tatum plus a #1 for Fultz' tattooed on his chest so that he sees it every night when he is changing to get ready for bed" Evans
    Mormons can’t get tattoos. Sorry
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

It's not illegal, it's frowned upon like, uh, this is a family board so I guess you complete the Hangover quote.

Definitely frowned upon, as is the use of the term Mormons, now. They are now called Latter-day Saints. Just FYI.

I don’t know. The series now moves to Toronto for games 3 and 4, and the Raptors are very tough at home. I wouldn’t be surprised if the series returns to Boston tied 2-2.

Oh, and your comment about Danny Ainge was funny. 😆

I texted this to my son and he replied:

“Maybe the most one-sided trade since the pilgrims gave the Indians a few beads and beaver pelts for New York.