Page 37 of 68 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Lakers v Heat Finals... Not too interested, but I give them a puncher’s chance.
    So, the Lakers are already in the Finals in your mind without having played even one game against Denver?

Beating Portland was not a legitimate challenge and beating Houston was nearly the same, as that team was flawed from the start. Not to mention their two best players — Harden and Westbrook — are career-long losers. Lakers haven’t proven a whole lot yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    As good as Jayson Tatum has been all year and in the Bubble, it seems like he's making too many mistakes and costing the Celtics dearly with charges and turnovers.
    Think about this for a minute: If Tatum had played four years at Duke like players used to routinely do, he wouldn’t even have been in the NBA yet. We would be eagerly anticipating his upcoming rookie season.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    So, the Lakers are already in the Finals in your mind without having played even one game against Denver?

Beating Portland was not a legitimate challenge and beating Houston was nearly the same, as that team was flawed from the start. Not to mention their two best players — Harden and Westbrook — are career-long losers. Lakers haven’t proven a whole lot yet.
    I hope you’re right. But I just can’t see the Nuggets taking down the Lakers. The size will be key in this series as distinct from the Clippers. No more Joker seeing overtop double teams for easy assists. The Lakers are a huge team that is now well rested. Can’t see them losing.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I hope you’re right. But I just can’t see the Nuggets taking down the Lakers. The size will be key in this series as distinct from the Clippers. No more Joker seeing overtop double teams for easy assists. The Lakers are a huge team that is now well rested. Can’t see them losing.
    Well, Zubac is 7’ tall and he was on the court quite a bit against Jokic. That didn’t seem to slow him (Jokic) down, so why would a 7’ Lakers player be significantly more successful at slowing him down? It’s not as if they’re going to put two 7-footers on Jokic. I don’t see why this is a problem for Denver.

Besides, we are in the small-ball, spread ‘em out, three-point shot era of the NBA. Why would the Lakers playing throwback basketball suddenly be the way to win a championship? How long has it been since a team won the title because they outsized their opponents?

I think Denver is a more dangerous three-point shooting team and they have more overall depth. They are playing loose and confident and are on a roll with their youthful energy. Yet they do have some playoff experience, so they will not be starry-eyed.

I think the teams Denver has beaten — the LA Clippers and Utah — are better than both of the teams the Lakers have played. If Denver wins one of the first two games I think this series will go 7. And at that point it’s anybody’s ballgame, especially with no home crowd involved.

Well, Zubac is 7’ tall and he was on the court quite a bit against Jokic. That didn’t seem to slow him (Jokic) down, so why would a 7’ Lakers player be significantly more successful at slowing him down? It’s not as if they’re going to put two 7-footers on Jokic. I don’t see why this is a problem for Denver.

Besides, we are in the small-ball, spread ‘em out, three-point shot era of the NBA. Why would the Lakers playing throwback basketball suddenly be the way to win a championship? How long has it been since a team won the title because they outsized their opponents?

I think Denver is a more dangerous three-point shooting team and they have more overall depth. They are playing loose and confident and are on a roll with their youthful energy. Yet they do have some playoff experience, so they will not be starry-eyed.

I think the teams Denver has beaten — the LA Clippers and Utah — are better than both of the teams the Lakers have played. If Denver wins one of the first two games I think this series will go 7. And at that point it’s anybody’s ballgame, especially with no home crowd involved.
    Well they got more than just Zubac to throw out and just being tall doesn't make one a good defender. Besides which they will have the 2 best players in this game. I hope the Lakers win and this was the best matchup for them to do so.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Well, I’m not even sure the Lakers will choose to double him like the Clippers did. But if they do, there’s a huge difference between Zubac and the combination of A.D., Howard, and McGee. Jokic was effective because he was able to see over top most of the double teams. It’s not going to be that easy against a much taller and more athletic Laker front line. But we’ll see.

Think about this for a minute: If Tatum had played four years at Duke like players used to routinely do, he wouldn’t even have been in the NBA yet. We would be eagerly anticipating his upcoming rookie season.
    And we would be enjoying another national championship

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Is Hayward going to help?
    If he had not gotten hurt- I say yes

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    If he had not gotten hurt- I say yes
    Except...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/09/17/sports/when-could-gordon-hayward-be-ready-go/

And Zion, RJ, Wendell Carter Jr, Bagley...

We would of been okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The biggest issue with the Celtics - significantly moreso than Kemba's mediocre playoffs (he was great yesterday) or Brown's lack of impact in quarters 1-3 or Tatum's late game issues - is the their lack of bench.

In this series, the Celtics bench is Wannamaker (solid defensively and can provide some offense), Kanter (he's a disaster on defense), Ojeleye (poor man's 3-and-D), and... that's it. You can substitute Robert Williams for Kanter depending on the game.

That is an awful bench. The starters are playing minutes as if Coach K is leading this team. It's not good for a long series.

The team needs Hayward back, especially for depth. I love Smart starting but Hayward is critical for depth and that "super 6th man". The Heat are so much deeper than the Celtics.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    The biggest issue with the Celtics - significantly moreso than Kemba's mediocre playoffs (he was great yesterday) or Brown's lack of impact in quarters 1-3 or Tatum's late game issues - is the their lack of bench.

In this series, the Celtics bench is Wannamaker (solid defensively and can provide some offense), Kanter (he's a disaster on defense), Ojeleye (poor man's 3-and-D), and... that's it. You can substitute Robert Williams for Kanter depending on the game.

That is an awful bench. The starters are playing minutes as if Coach K is leading this team. It's not good for a long series.

The team needs Hayward back, especially for depth. I love Smart starting but Hayward is critical for depth and that "super 6th man". The Heat are so much deeper than the Celtics.
    Lantern barely played last series, but has some very effective minutes last night.

I'm definitely not counting out the Celtics. They are in a hole, but this NBA Playoffs has been anything but predictable.

Lantern barely played last series, but has some very effective minutes last night.

I'm definitely not counting out the Celtics. They are in a hole, but this NBA Playoffs has been anything but predictable.
    Enes "The Lantern" Kanter was god awful against Bam. But then again, everyone not named Theis is awful against Bam.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Smart has been the best Celtics this series (it's only 2 games, but still). That's amazing given he's making by far the least of the 4 Celtic studs (assuming Tatum gets the max extension this summer).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Enes "The Lantern" Kanter was god awful against Bam. But then again, everyone not named Theis is awful against Bam.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Smart has been the best Celtics this series (it's only 2 games, but still). That's amazing given he's making by far the least of the 4 Celtic studs (assuming Tatum gets the max extension this summer).
    Smart has been very consistent this playoffs this far. He seems to really shine when the stage is biggest.

Tatum is still feeling out his role as leader. Kemba still looks like he's trying to find his place as well.

This team has the talent to win if they can all get on the same page.

Smart has been very consistent this playoffs this far. He seems to really shine when the stage is biggest.

Tatum is still feeling out his role as leader. Kemba still looks like he's trying to find his place as well.

This team has the talent to win if they can all get on the same page.
    Don't disagree. They just haven't found their places. Unlike the Heat, who seem to know exactly what each of their roles are.

I live in Boston, I've been a Celtics fan for a decade, and I really want them to win. But I can't be too upset because these Heat are a joy to watch. They play as if there is no tomorrow. They seem to like each other. Their leader doesn't score much but does everything else. Their coach (IMO) is better than Brad Stevens at strategy. There is a lot to like with these Heat.

Small move that seems to be having a bigger impact now: after losing Horford in free agency, Boston traded Aaron Baynes (who is a free agent after this year) and the #24 pick (Ty Jerome) to Phoenix for the 30th pick in this year's draft. Long-term, probably shrewd to pick up a 1st round pick rather than losing a player like Baynes for nothing (or overpaying him in free agency). And Boston correctly gaged that Theis was ready to be a starter. But right now, they would love to have Baynes as their backup big, rather than the motley crew of Kanter, Robert Williams, and Grant Williams, who all have more exploitable flaws when playing this late into the postseason.

And in effect they traded down from the #24 pick in 2019 to the #30 pick in 2020. Maybe Ty Jerome would be helpful in short minutes playing against the Heat's zone defense.

It might just have been a marginal difference, but with Boston and Miami so evenly matched so far, every little bit helps.

Hayward has a player option for next year. With his injuries and the salary cap issues, he is likely to opt in.

The Celtics should consider trading him for a 3-point shooter and a big man. His $34m expiring deal could yield 2-3 vets to round out the rotation.

They could send him to Indy for Miles Turner, Doug McDermott and other salary. Or to Sacramento for Buddy Hield and Richaun Holmes.

I guess it all depends on if they think they can keep him healthy next season.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Hayward has a player option for next year. With his injuries and the salary cap issues, he is likely to opt in.

The Celtics should consider trading him for a 3-point shooter and a big man. His $34m expiring deal could yield 2-3 vets to round out the rotation.

They could send him to Indy for Miles Turner, Doug McDermott and other salary. Or to Sacramento for Buddy Hield and Richaun Holmes.

I’m all-in on trading Hayward if we can get useful players in return who fit well with Stevens’s offensive and defensive schemes and add legitimate depth.

It’s been three years of mostly disappointment with this guy. I’m ready to move on. Actually, I’ve been ready for quite awhile now. I think I would have pulled the trigger after the 2018-2019 season had I been in Ainge’s shoes.

I’m all-in on trading Hayward if we can get useful players in return who fit well with Stevens’s offensive and defensive schemes and add legitimate depth.

It’s been three years of mostly disappointment with this guy. I’m ready to move on. Actually, I’ve been ready for quite awhile now. I think I would have pulled the trigger after the 2018-2019 season had I been in Ainge’s shoes.
    Ainge has done a pretty good job of talent evaluation. One of the better jobs in the league, I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

What makes you think the Celtics could get 3 years of Myles Turner or Buddy Hield for a one year rental of Hayward on a bad contract? I mean, maybe if Boston took some bad salary off their hands and threw in a pick or two, but I suspect Indiana and Sacto would laugh at the deals you proposed here.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?