Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I think you’ve hit on a salient point. The seasons, other than football, have waaaay too many games. MLB has 161 regular season games. The NBA has 82. The NHL has 82.

In comparison the NFL has only16. College Football has only 11 or 12 (not exactly sure on that one). And not only that, but MLB, the NBA, and the NHL also have way too many playoff games.

What helps make a game interesting is the stakes which are riding on it. That is why the majority of NFL and College Football games are at least somewhat compelling while the vast majority of MLB, NFL, and NHL games are not.
    I agree with this ^ and I'll just add that the NCAAT is probably my favorite time of the year sports wise behind every Duke game(basketball or football).

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I agree with this ^ and I'll just add that the NCAAT is probably my favorite time of the year sports wise behind every Duke game(basketball or football).

GoDuke!
    I caught an error in the last sentence where I mistakenly wrote “NFL” when I had intended to write “NBA”. It should have read as follows:

I think you’ve hit on a salient point. The seasons, other than football, have waaaay too many games. MLB has 161 regular season games. The NBA has 82. The NHL has 82.

In comparison the NFL has only16. College Football has only 11 or 12 (not exactly sure on that one). And not only that, but MLB, the NBA, and the NHL also have way too many playoff games.

What helps make a game interesting is the stakes which are riding on it. That is why the majority of NFL and College Football games are at least somewhat compelling while the vast majority of MLB, NBA, and NHL games are not.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    The problem is the season is so long there's just no point in watching most of the season. This is why the NFL is so compelling. I'm a big NBA fan but even I can hardly see 1/10 of the games. They need fewer games (by a lot) but that has 0 chance of happening.
    I started following the NBA when there were eight teams, six made the playoffs and you played each opponent 10 or so times per season.

The current set-up seems like a breeze comparatively speaking.

And yes, I just showed my age.

Could be in line for Tatum and Cook in the NBA Finals

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post

What helps make a game interesting is the stakes which are riding on it. That is why the majority of NFL and College Football games are at least somewhat compelling while the vast majority of MLB, NFL, and NHL games are not.
    I have very little interest in the NFL these days, so it must not work on me.

Baseball is a game of statistics made to play out over a very large sample size. It's also a game of history and historical comparisons. Further, it's a game that can be played the way it's meant to be played over a long season. I'm not going to watch the majority of games, but I follow it every day. I don't have a problem with its season, though I do have a problem with approximately half the league hitting 40 homers last year and 20 pitching changes per game (slight exaggerations).

Basketball, on the other hand, doesn't focus as much on season scoring totals as points per game (or other statistics), and it is very difficult to play the way it's meant to be played over 82 games, plus a very long playoffs. I would be all for shortening the season by about 20 games and making the first round of the playoffs best of 5.

I also much prefer regular season college basketball over college football. There are usually more top-notch interconference basketball games in the first couple of weeks than there are in football all year.

Gordon Hayward out four weeks.

I watched most of the Celtics/Sixers game. J Smooth Tatum has passed Kyrie as the current best Duke player in the NBA. He is attacking the basket instead of settling for pull-ups and fadeaways and getting to the line as a result, his defense is very much improved, he is a real vocal leader, he is stroking the 3 on the move - it's all happening. Still, the Sixers have such a size advantage and failed to go to Embiid enough. And, once Philly put Matisse Thybulle on Tatum he was not nearly as effective. Brett Brown's job definitely depends on him figuring out how to press their advantages. After Brown, Tatum and Smart, Boston doesn't really have any standouts because Hayward still seems like he doesn't fit and he got hurt at the end of the game yesterday. I am impressed with Burks and Richardson for Philly.

I only saw the first half of the Clippers v Mavs game but, man, Dallas is a lethal offensive team as they all spread out around Luka and he finds the open man. That game had some crazy swings in the first half with both teams being up by double digits at different times. Seth fits their system like a glove, and "their system" is Luka Luka Luka.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Gordon Hayward out four weeks.
    Big loss, but not catastrophic. This Celtics team is based on the tandem of Tatum and Brown with Kemba providing a punchy third option. Hayward is a a phenomenal option as a free fourth option.

Puts more pressure on the wings, but you can replace Hayward with Smart and become much better defensively and slightly worse offensively.

If Theis is out, I'd be more worried. He may be the 5th best starter, but he's also the Celtics's only two-way big man.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Big loss, but not catastrophic. This Celtics team is based on the tandem of Tatum and Brown with Kemba providing a punchy third option. Hayward is a a phenomenal option as a free fourth option.

Puts more pressure on the wings, but you can replace Hayward with Smart and become much better defensively and slightly worse offensively.

If Theis is out, I'd be more worried. He may be the 5th best starter, but he's also the Celtics's only two-way big man.
    My comment above neglected Kemba - my bad. He certainly rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I have very little interest in the NFL these days, so it must not work on me.

Baseball is a game of statistics made to play out over a very large sample size. It's also a game of history and historical comparisons. Further, it's a game that can be played the way it's meant to be played over a long season. I'm not going to watch the majority of games, but I follow it every day. I don't have a problem with its season, though I do have a problem with approximately half the league hitting 40 homers last year and 20 pitching changes per game (slight exaggerations).

Basketball, on the other hand, doesn't focus as much on season scoring totals as points per game (or other statistics), and it is very difficult to play the way it's meant to be played over 82 games, plus a very long playoffs. I would be all for shortening the season by about 20 games and making the first round of the playoffs best of 5.

I also much prefer regular season college basketball over college football. There are usually more top-notch interconference basketball games in the first couple of weeks than there are in football all year.
    I don't see much being needed to fix in football and basketball outside of a few things here and there. Baseball though... I'll just be nice and stay silent.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I watched most of the Celtics/Sixers game. J Smooth Tatum has passed Kyrie as the current best Duke player in the NBA. He is attacking the basket instead of settling for pull-ups and fadeaways and getting to the line as a result, his defense is very much improved, he is a real vocal leader, he is stroking the 3 on the move - it's all happening. Still, the Sixers have such a size advantage and failed to go to Embiid enough. And, once Philly put Matisse Thybulle on Tatum he was not nearly as effective. Brett Brown's job definitely depends on him figuring out how to press their advantages. After Brown, Tatum and Smart, Boston doesn't really have any standouts because Hayward still seems like he doesn't fit and he got hurt at the end of the game yesterday. I am impressed with Burks and Richardson for Philly.

I only saw the first half of the Clippers v Mavs game but, man, Dallas is a lethal offensive team as they all spread out around Luka and he finds the open man. That game had some crazy swings in the first half with both teams being up by double digits at different times. Seth fits their system like a glove, and "their system" is Luka Luka Luka.
    This is one area that everyone underrates for Tatum. He's incredible defensively. He's ranked 6th in defensive win shares and has an incredibly high rating. His anticipation is quick and he doesn't gamble. Also, he can block, steal, and rebound like a champ.

I think Kyrie is still the best offensive Duke player. But there isn't any Duke player near Tatum's defensive prowess (Winslow comes close. But can you trust a player who has injured every major body part?). That, coupled with his really good offensive chops, makes Tatum the best Duke player in the NBA today.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    My comment above neglected Kemba - my bad. He certainly rates.
    I love Kemba. He's a really good offensive player. He's an okay playmaker. He's an amazing teammate and even better locker room presence. Basically, a poorman's Kyrie with leadership. As a result, he fits better on this Celtics team that now belongs to the "Jays".

But I don't like playoff Kemba. He's too easy to attack when he's on defense. He's a small 6'0". And even though he tries defensively, it's not very effective.

I love the Celtics's defensive ability with the exception of Kemba. A core of Tatum, Brown, and Smart is a frightening defensive core. Imagine putting a defensive big man in that unit.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    This is one area that everyone underrates for Tatum. He's incredible defensively. He's ranked 6th in defensive win shares and has an incredibly high rating. His anticipation is quick and he doesn't gamble. Also, he can block, steal, and rebound like a champ.

I think Kyrie is still the best offensive Duke player. But there isn't any Duke player near Tatum's defensive prowess (Winslow comes close. But can you trust a player who has injured every major body part?). That, coupled with his really good offensive chops, makes Tatum the best Duke player in the NBA today.
    What also puts Tatum at or near the top of the list is how he plays in big games. The guy has always performed better in big games. He will be fun to watch over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    What also puts Tatum at or near the top of the list is how he plays in big games. The guy has always performed better in big games. He will be fun to watch over the next few years.
    And he's not injury prone. I love Zion, but I'm pretty sure everyone - including the Pelicans front office - is nervous about his longevity (or even his ability to get through a season). Tatum has missed a total of 9 games in the last three seasons, and I'm pretty sure half of those are due to resting (like the last game of this season).

Looks like Orlando is about to steal one from the Bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Looks like Orlando is about to steal one from the Bucks.
    Without a home court crowd- and travel - this is going to be a wide open championship. Any team can get hot. Gonna be interesting.

I am an NBA fan, not a hater, but the worst thing about the NBA is watching Harden handle the ball 95% of the time, travel without it getting called, flail and throw up a wild shot, play act like he got maimed, and then get the call every darn time.

I am an NBA fan, not a hater, but the worst thing about the NBA is watching Harden handle the ball 95% of the time, travel without it getting called, flail and throw up a wild shot, play act like he got maimed, and then get the call every darn time.
    Couldn't agree more. Harden is a great player, but absolutely painful to watch. I'm not a fan of the Rockets extreme small ball approach, either, FWIW.

Could not agree more. I am simply appalled at the way James Harden plays the game. He has almost single-handedly changed the sport for the worse. It will be a day of great celebration in my home when he announces his retirement.

Oh, and you forgot to mention the plays where he purposely drives straight into an opponent as fast and hard as he possibly can — while the defender is just standing there, and sometimes even backpedaling! — in an attempt to draw a cheap gimmick blocking foul. Why a referee would ever give him this call is completely beyond my ability to comprehend.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I guess if I ever lose my love for college basketball, I'll only love the bouncing golf ball and baseball. I lost my love for the NBA a while back and I don't even know why. I do watch a playoff game if one of my Dukies is playing but other than that, I can take it or leave it. Funny I feel that way when there's mostly nothing on tv other than re-runs.
    The problem with the NBA, for me, is that they took everything I love about basketball and took it away. When I was a kid there were offensive sets and plays, players were expected to play as a team. Things took time to develop and it was interesting to watch the plays unfold. All shots were worth the same number of points, which emphasized strategy to get a shot off closer to the basket. Defense was an integral element of the game.

The NBA just kept shortening the shot clock, emphasizing individual play rather than team play. It became more about the players than about the team or the game. The three-point shot became more and more important. Defense took a back seat. People wanted to see scoring, offense, fast breaks, slam dunks, and great individual play. In short, they tried to take basketball out of basketball.
    The games are boring not because there are too many of them (although that's a huge part of it) but because the game itself has devolved into something that bears very little resemblance to the game I grew up loving.

There. I said it. Now get off my lawn!