Page 38 of 68 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Ainge has done a pretty good job of talent evaluation. One of the better jobs in the league, I would say.
    I think you’re right, but that doesn’t change my mind about the Hayward situation.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    What makes you think the Celtics could get 3 years of Myles Turner or Buddy Hield for a one year rental of Hayward on a bad contract? I mean, maybe if Boston took some bad salary off their hands and threw in a pick or two, but I suspect Indiana and Sacto would laugh at the deals you proposed here.
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I don’t think we’re going to be able to get very much for Hayward. He’s kind of an albatross at this point. But I can dream, can’t I?

What makes you think the Celtics could get 3 years of Myles Turner or Buddy Hield for a one year rental of Hayward on a bad contract? I mean, maybe if Boston took some bad salary off their hands and threw in a pick or two, but I suspect Indiana and Sacto would laugh at the deals you proposed here.
    That's what I was thinking as well. I can't see how Boston can get rid of the injury-riddled, less-than-his-former-self Hayward. They are stuck with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    That's what I was thinking as well. I can't see how Boston can get rid of the injury-riddled, less-than-his-former-self Hayward. They are stuck with each other.
    Noooooooooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Well, Zubac is 7’ tall and he was on the court quite a bit against Jokic. That didn’t seem to slow him (Jokic) down, so why would a 7’ Lakers player be significantly more successful at slowing him down? It’s not as if they’re going to put two 7-footers on Jokic. I don’t see why this is a problem for Denver. Besides, we are in the small-ball, spread ‘em out, three-point shot era of the NBA. Why would the Lakers playing throwback basketball suddenly be the way to win a championship? How long has it been since a team won the title because they outsized their opponents? I think Denver is a more dangerous three-point shooting team and they have more overall depth. They are playing loose and confident and are on a roll with their youthful energy. Yet they do have some playoff experience, so they will not be starry-eyed. I think the teams Denver has beaten — the LA Clippers and Utah — are better than both of the teams the Lakers have played. If Denver wins one of the first two games I think this series will go 7. And at that point it’s anybody’s ballgame, especially with no home crowd involved.
    I am on board with this take. The minute anyone tells me that Dwight Howard and JaVale McGee are the keys to the series, I am putting money on the other team to at least cover. I agree that the Nuggets are underdogs but I think they are not as big underdogs as Vegas says. I really like Denver's chances.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    The biggest issue with the Celtics - significantly moreso than Kemba's mediocre playoffs (he was great yesterday) or Brown's lack of impact in quarters 1-3 or Tatum's late game issues - is the their lack of bench. In this series, the Celtics bench is Wannamaker (solid defensively and can provide some offense), Kanter (he's a disaster on defense), Ojeleye (poor man's 3-and-D), and... that's it. You can substitute Robert Williams for Kanter depending on the game. That is an awful bench. The starters are playing minutes as if Coach K is leading this team. It's not good for a long series. The team needs Hayward back, especially for depth. I love Smart starting but Hayward is critical for depth and that "super 6th man". The Heat are so much deeper than the Celtics.
    How about that brief Romeo Langford cameo in the first quarter? That's called depth desperation. I heard Bill Simmons and Jackie Mac (a new Ringer podcast signee, by the way) breaking down last night's game on his pod and they talked about the energy Tatum, Smart and Brown are spending chasing around Robinson and Herro and the toll it is exacting on their offense. They also talked about the Celtics getting timid on offense when they build leads in the age old attempt to bleed the clock rather than staying aggressive. I think Boston bounces back and we get a longer series, they have too much recent playoff experience, good coaching and toughness to just get rolled.

As for Gordon Hayward, I think he's got basketball left in him. He's only 30, and, despite the injuries, he has barely played the past few years so he doesn't have that day-in, day-out wear and tear on him. With a fresh start and a drive to prove he isn't washed up, I think he'd be a good get in that $10MM - $20MM per year range.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    They also talked about the Celtics getting timid on offense when they build leads in the age old attempt to bleed the clock rather than staying aggressive.
    Wait just a minute there, pal. Are you saying that when Brad Stevens replaces Coach K that Duke is going to employ the same bleed-the-clock “strategy” (a strategy I hate, btw) of which K is so fond? Say it ain’t so, William.

Wait just a minute there, pal. Are you saying that when Brad Stevens replaces Coach K that Duke is going to employ the same bleed-the-clock “strategy” (a strategy I hate, btw) of which K is so fond? Say it ain’t so, William.
    They use the strategy because it works, generally speaking. I'm not sure it works as well with a shorter shot clock, though.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    They use the strategy because it works, generally speaking. I'm not sure it works as well with a shorter shot clock, though.
    Mike, I know you have huge respect for the brilliant posters on DBR, but I don’t think that fact merits your commenting on our posts.

You have a team full of talented and eager young men to help prepare for what is sure to be a particularly challenging season. Besides, I was mostly just joking. I didn’t expect you to take my comment seriously. 😉

Supposedly Indiana does not want to pay both Miles Turner and Sabonis, and they prefer Sabonis of the two. So it would be a salary dump for Indy. You cannot use 35% of the salary cap on the 5 position unless you have Anthony Davis on your team. And they'd be bringing home a Butler legend.

Hield represents a similar issue for Sacramento. At some point they have to pay all of Bagley, Bogdanovic, DAron Fox (max deal forthcoming) while over-paying Harrison Barnes. They have a lot of pieces that dont really fit and are not particularly well run...hence the arbitrage opportunity for Ainge.

Hayward is highly regarded as a 3-point shooter (38%) and playmaker (4 assists) and he can guard 2-4. There will be a market for him, especially if he plays well over the next week.

Addiitonally, Boston has 3 first round picks in this year's draft and they dont really have any place to put those guys, so they can sweeten a deal with a pick.

Boston is going to have a max deal coming for Tatum, needs bench depth, and probably cannot pay Hayward for his next deal, so why not put something together now?

I think Ainge has drafted well, as others have mentioned. But his mistake was not selling high on the draft picks he had. He sat on the Memphis pick (now #14) when it's value was greater a year ago. He sat on the Sacramento pick last year (#14) when it's value was greater a year earlier and drafted Romeo Langford.

Think about if Ainge had traded up in 2018 for Wendell Carter using that Sacramento pick. Or if he'd used it last year for Hachimura or PJ Washington. I think he kept hoping he could put together a deal for Anthony Davis and waited too long.
    Last edited by superdave; 09-18-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I think Ainge has drafted well, as others have mentioned. But his mistake was not selling high on the draft picks he had. He sat on the Memphis pick (now #14) when it's value was greater a year ago. He sat on the Sacramento pick last year (#14) when it's value was greater a year earlier and drafted Romeo Langford.

Think about if Ainge had traded up in 2018 for Wendell Carter using that Sacramento pick. Or if he'd used is last year for Hachimura or PJ Washington. I think he kept hoping he coult put together a deal for Anthony Davis and waited too long.
    What is that old saying about 20-20 and hindsight? I forget the exact wording.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Supposedly Indiana does not want to pay both Miles Turner and Sabonis, and they prefer Sabonis of the two. So it would be a salary dump for Indy. You cannot use 35% of the salary cap on the 5 position unless you have Anthony Davis on your team. And they'd be bringing home a Butler legend.

Hield represents a similar issue for Sacramento. At some point they have to pay all of Bagley, Bogdanovic, DAron Fox (max deal forthcoming) while over-paying Harrison Barnes. They have a lot of pieces that dont really fit and are not particularly well run...hence the arbitrage opportunity for Ainge.

Hayward is highly regarded as a 3-point shooter (38%) and playmaker (4 assists) and he can guard 2-4. There will be a market for him, especially if he plays well over the next week.

Addiitonally, Boston has 3 first round picks in this year's draft and they dont really have any place to put those guys, so they can sweeten a deal with a pick.

Boston is going to have a max deal coming for Tatum, needs bench depth, and probably cannot pay Hayward for his next deal, so why not put something together now?

Think about if Ainge had traded up in 2018 for Wendell Carter using that Sacramento pick. Or if he'd used it last year for Hachimura or PJ Washington. I think he kept hoping he could put together a deal for Anthony Davis and waited too long.
    Ainge's magic only works if the 76ers or Nets are somehow involved.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Think about this for a minute: If Tatum had played four years at Duke like players used to routinely do, he wouldn’t even have been in the NBA yet. We would be eagerly anticipating his upcoming rookie season.
    Except maybe Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood stay four years, which means Winslow and Ingram are impacted, which means we have no idea if Tatum ends up at Duke and if he does he keeps Trent and Barrett away and Okafor keeps Carter away and Bagley keeps Williamson away and we can do this darn near forever.

Many of Duke's OADs came to Duke because the OADs ahead of them were going to leave a vacancy. We just can't assume anything here.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Except maybe Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood stay four years, which means Winslow and Ingram are impacted, which means we have no idea if Tatum ends up at Duke and if he does he keeps Trent and Barrett away and Okafor keeps Carter away and Bagley keeps Williamson away and we can do this darn near forever.

Many of Duke's OADs came to Duke because the OADs ahead of them were going to leave a vacancy. We just can't assume anything here.
    Jim, you killed it.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    https://twitter.com/GwashburnGlobe/s...613014528?s=20

Rumor has it Kyrie is a locker room cancer...
    Interesting that you post that like Smart's outburst is a negative. I LOVE it. I love that passion. Sometimes things need to be said...and said loudly. Down 2-0, what's going on isn't working and if there are guys going through the motions or being selfish, whatever maybe it's best to call them out and move forward instead of staying quiet and just losing.

Kyrie is a great player but even those of us that love his game admit that he says a lot of cringe-worthy stuff. I think Smart might not always live up to his last name but down 2-0, guys should be mad.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Interesting that you post that like Smart's outburst is a negative. I LOVE it. I love that passion. Sometimes things need to be said...and said loudly. Down 2-0, what's going on isn't working and if there are guys going through the motions or being selfish, whatever maybe it's best to call them out and move forward instead of staying quiet and just losing.

Kyrie is a great player but even those of us that love his game admit that he says a lot of cringe-worthy stuff. I think Smart might not always live up to his last name but down 2-0, guys should be mad.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...eltics-leaders

Thanks for the article. Here's a good quote:

Among the coaching staff and players, there was a belief that players had sufficiently talked through the issues and were ready to start preparing for Game 3 on Saturday, sources said.

The irony

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    After failing to sign Hayward in 2017, plus the horrible contracts for Hassan Whiteside, James Johnson, Tyler Johnson, and Dion Waiters, a lot of people figured that the Pat Riley magic was gone and that it was time for him to retire to California. But it seems that all of these failures forced the Heat to develop talent internally (not to mention that Jae Crowder has been the big surprise in the Justise Winslow-Waiters-James Johnson trade) and all of a sudden they are 10-1 in the playoffs.

Of course, both Heat-Celtics games have been really close, and if Boston gets Hayward back things could change quickly. The playoffs have been pretty entertaining and one of the few good things that have happened so far this year, so anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    After failing to sign Hayward in 2017, plus the horrible contracts for Hassan Whiteside, James Johnson, Tyler Johnson, and Dion Waiters, a lot of people figured that the Pat Riley magic was gone and that it was time for him to retire to California. But it seems that all of these failures forced the Heat to develop talent internally (not to mention that Jae Crowder has been the big surprise in the Justise Winslow-Waiters-James Johnson trade) and all of a sudden they are 10-1 in the playoffs.

Of course, both Heat-Celtics games have been really close, and if Boston gets Hayward back things could change quickly. The playoffs have been pretty entertaining and one of the few good things that have happened so far this year, so anything is possible.
    Riley has been a genius. With cornerstones like Bam and the Dragon, Riley needed a true leader. Enter Butler. And then you surround those three with shooting and defense. Lots and lots of shooting and some defense. Trade a talented but perpetually injured player (Winslow) for 2 veterans, one whom is a perfect fit (Crowder) and you have a perfect recipe. It also helps that Spoelstra is a top 3 coach in the league.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post

I agree. If the Celtics were all love and hugs, I'd be worried. Tension can build a team, if channelled correctly. I don't think Tatum has the leadership skills (yet) to take that role. Kemba is new and has missed a bunch of games to injury. I have no problem with Marcus Smart saying things that someone has to say, and saying them loudly.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I am on board with this take. The minute anyone tells me that Dwight Howard and JaVale McGee are the keys to the series, I am putting money on the other team to at least cover. I agree that the Nuggets are underdogs but I think they are not as big underdogs as Vegas says. I really like Denver's chances.
    For the record, I did not say or even insinuate that Howard and McGee are the keys to the series. I was simply pointing out that the Lakers have much more height than the Clippers, and I do believe it will be tougher for the Joker to dice them up with great passes.

And also for the record, I’m 100% pulling for Denver. But I just have this sinking feeling that the Lakers are going to win this in 5. Hope I’m wrong.