Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Football 2020

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Y'all have expressed my sentiment wonderfully.

I am very interested in our team. I'm just not convinced we're going to play a game, let alone a meaningful "season."

But if we beat Dame and then they call the season, I guess I would take that as a pretty good result under the circumstances.
    I've stated multiple times in multiple threads my belief that if we beat ND, we go undefeated.

In fact, I'm willing to wager a pie on it between now and kick off.

Hasn't high school football started in some places already? I thought I saw a picture of a game in Utah of all places.

In any event, teams are practicing in locales where all sports were not preemptively cancelled for the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I've stated multiple times in multiple threads my belief that if we beat ND, we go undefeated.

In fact, I'm willing to wager a pie on it between now and kick off.
    ND just completely outclassed us last year...having said that, I have no idea what the effect will be of having a new offensive coordinator (badly needed), new QB (badly needed) and new OL coach (ditto)...sure can't hurt. Will it be enough to
    make us competitive? I haven't the foggiest...also wondering about the effect of having a new Wr coach last year...he was highly touted, but our passing game (and I use the term loosely) was so disjointed that I just couldn't tell if he had much of an impact...

For sure, I like (probably more than Cut does) starting the season with a real, solid opponent, vs. NCCU or other cupcakes...we ought to be up for the game, no excuses, let's see what we've got.

Yeah, should we beat ND, we're probably in for a solid season, but it was men vs. boys last year, not sure we can close that gap...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ND just completely outclassed us last year...having said that, I have no idea what the effect will be of having a new offensive coordinator (badly needed), new QB (badly needed) and new OL coach (ditto)...sure can't hurt. Will it be enough to
    make us competitive? I haven't the foggiest...also wondering about the effect of having a new Wr coach last year...he was highly touted, but our passing game (and I use the term loosely) was so disjointed that I just couldn't tell if he had much of an impact...

For sure, I like (probably more than Cut does) starting the season with a real, solid opponent, vs. NCCU or other cupcakes...we ought to be up for the game, no excuses, let's see what we've got.

Yeah, should we beat ND, we're probably in for a solid season, but it was men vs. boys last year, not sure we can close that gap...
    I like your analysis. My point is more about the relative ease of our post-ND schedule, and my belief that the season will not be completed.

I like your analysis. My point is more about the relative ease of our post-ND schedule, and my belief that the season will not be completed.
    can't argue with that. Still a bit hard to believe i'll get to see a real game in two weeks on my spiffy new TV...maybe we catch ND napping, because we didn't put up much of a fight last year..

And even if we don’t win, we still might have a one loss season.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    And even if we don’t win, we still might have a one loss season.
    That would be an epic accomplishment in and of itself.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    That would be an epic accomplishment in and of itself.
    I'll take any season that we only lose once.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'll take any season that we only lose once.
    Even if it's an 0-1 season?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Even if it's an 0-1 season?
    I might leave out that minor detail when bragging about our one loss season.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Yea, kind of like the Cheats bragging they won one more game than Duke in the last ACC b-ball tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Yea, kind of like the Cheats bragging they won one more game than Duke in the last ACC b-ball tourney.
    Looks like a banner to me.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Regarding our WR group: it's a vast mystery to me: last year our OL couldn't block for a QB who couldn't throw...yet we do seem to have some talent, a new WR coach last year whose impact couldn't be assessed...so who knows?
    Lots of unknowns for sure. It seems the WR position went through a talent dip for a few years. Aaron Young was never healthy, Scott Bracey was practically invisible for four years, no one could create separation...

Perhaps this current group represents a talent spike, perhaps I’m guilty of wishful thinking.

As far as whether or not games are played goes, time will tell. Three weeks until kickoff in South Bend.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Many schools will have the opportunity this year to produce Emory-style football-brag t-shirts, I expect.

This one is from a couple days ago. Jim Sumner on Cornerbacks Coach Chris Hampton:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-dukes-defense

This comment by Josh Blackwell stands out:

Coach Hampton . . . . brings a lot more technical coaching. He’s very hands on with us. I like the guy a lot. He’s very smart, very tangible. He’s instilling what a cornerback can be, both in the ACC and at the next level.
    And this:

Hampton confirmed that Mark Gilbert is practicing at a high level, as if he had never been injured.
    Bob Green

This article just posted (I haven’t read it yet):

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...evils-football

Coach Cutcliffe on preseason progress.
    Bob Green

Reminds me of that ping pong tournament not long ago where I came in second place!
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    This article just posted (I haven’t read it yet):

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...evils-football

Coach Cutcliffe on preseason progress.
    Excellent as always. Glad to hear positive things about the O Line.

Reminds me of that ping pong tournament not long ago where I came in second place!
    Impressive!! How many players were there? 😉

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    Impressive!! How many players were there? 😉
    Gosh I can't recall.