Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Football 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Defensive co-coordinator Matt Guerrieri seems convinced cornerback Mark Gilbert is all the way back from his hip injury. That is great news!

The secondary is a team strength and a healthy Mark Gilbert, six interceptions in 2017 when he was 1st Team All ACC, combined with Duke’s talented edge rushers will cause opponent’s offensive coordinators sleepless nights.
    Food (or beer ) for thought: any chance any of the bigger DBs get moved to LB to help "cover" that perceived weakness?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Food (or beer ) for thought: any chance any of the bigger DBs get moved to LB to help "cover" that perceived weakness?
    I don’t believe so because we already play five defensive backs so converting a DB to LB makes the defense really small. My bet is on true freshmen seeing action early. Jim’s article mentions two possibilities.
    Bob Green

I don’t believe so because we already play five defensive backs so converting a DB to LB makes the defense really small. My bet is on true freshmen seeing action early. Jim’s article mentions two possibilities.
    Good points. I knew in the past, we seemed to have several shorter DBs and they'd often lose passes to taller TE/WR but recently, we appear to have a number of guys 6' and taller and they get out-jumped/out-heighted less (yea, there's no such word as out-heighted I'd reckon but you know my intent ).

Good points. I knew in the past, we seemed to have several shorter DBs and they'd often lose passes to taller TE/WR but recently, we appear to have a number of guys 6' and taller and they get out-jumped/out-heighted less (yea, there's no such word as out-heighted I'd reckon but you know my intent ).
    My concern would probably be weight related, not height related. I'm not sure we want a 190 pound DB trying to stuff the run or bring down a 250 pound TE.

If we were going to move anyone I would think we would slide a more mobile DE over to LB, at least situationally, rather than a CB or S.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    My concern would probably be weight related, not height related. I'm not sure we want a 190 pound DB trying to stuff the run or bring down a 250 pound TE.

If we were going to move anyone I would think we would slide a more mobile DE over to LB, at least situationally, rather than a CB or S.
    Ha-Rumph II you!!

We've got a couple DBs >200 pounds, but your point is well taken as guys like Jeremy Cash don't arrive at Duke very often.

the newly arrived Mr. Woods could at times be a LB candidate...

Ha-Rumph II you!!

We've got a couple DBs >200 pounds, but your point is well taken as guys like Jeremy Cash don't arrive at Duke very often.
    Ha! I meant to specifically mention Rumph, but then I got distracted looking at DB sizes on our roster and forgot. That was the first person who came to mind when I wrote that.

We have two DBs listed at 210, but I would guess those are "optimistic" listings, and 210 is still on the lighter side for an LB.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    the newly arrived Mr. Woods could at times be a LB candidate...
    Woods is one of our two 210 pound DBs (the other being Lummie Young, both safeties).

Given that they are both presumptive starters at safety, I think, I'm not sure we can afford to move them to LB. Depends on the guys behind them I guess.

Edit: Actually I don't think Young is a starter, but Woods likely is.

^ the Lumster played pretty well last year, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Ha! I meant to specifically mention Rumph, but then I got distracted looking at DB sizes on our roster and forgot. That was the first person who came to mind when I wrote that.

We have two DBs listed at 210, but I would guess those are "optimistic" listings, and 210 is still on the lighter side for an LB.

Woods is one of our two 210 pound DBs (the other being Lummie Young, both safeties).

Given that they are both presumptive starters at safety, I think, I'm not sure we can afford to move them to LB. Depends on the guys behind them I guess.

Edit: Actually I don't think Young is a starter, but Woods likely is.
    I couldn't resist the Ha-Rumph, especially with my advanced age . Agree with the bolded and that Mr. Woods *might* be the best candidate. But, then again, maybe Cut institutes the 2-2-7 as OPK suggested a few days ago .

For whatever reason Cut has strongly resisted moving Rumph to linebacker. If it hasn't happened by now, I suspect it won't happen until he's in the NFL.

Rumph, not Cut.

Dwayne Norman moved from safety to linebacker a few years ago and made All-ACC at linebacker. So, there are precedents. With the exception of Shaka Hayward most of Duke's LBs are in the 210-215 range.

Just read the article. Lots of quotes.

"This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Bob Green

Sweet. I love that the pass was put where only Eli could catch it.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Sweet. I love that the pass was put where only Eli could catch it.
    I love that he reached out and caught it!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Just got an email that Duke will start the season without fans at events. There was a link about options (defer until 2021, Iron Dukes donation, refund) that I can't find again. There was no definitive word on whether fans might be able to buy tickets to later in the season if conditions improve.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Just got an email that Duke will start the season without fans at events. There was a link about options (defer until 2021, Iron Dukes donation, refund) that I can't find again. There was no definitive word on whether fans might be able to buy tickets to later in the season if conditions improve.
    I put the email in the “when will sports return” thread. Here’s what I got (there’s been a couple of marketing messages since):

Dear Blue Devils fan,
    Due to the impact of COVID-19, Duke University will begin its fall sport program seasons without spectators at home events. Click here for the full release.
    As a football season ticket holder, we have three options for your ticket charges:
    Roll over your 2020 season ticket and parking order toward your 2021 season order.
    Convert your ticket and parking charges into a tax-deductible donation to the Iron Dukes Annual Fund. This would be an additional one-time donation and would be deductible. In addition, the Iron Dukes office will award extra bonus credit for the full amount of your converted donation, in essence doubling the Iron Dukes credit for this donation. The Iron Dukes Annual Fund helps Duke to cover the scholarship costs for our student-athletes.
    Receive a refund of your ticket and parking charges. Refunds would be issued to the credit card used for the original purchase. If you paid with check, your account representative will reach out with further information.
    Our default will be to roll over your ticket and parking charges to the 2021 season. If this option is your preference, you do not need to take any action. If you would like one of the other two options, please contact the Duke Athletics Ticket Office at 919-681-BLUE by September 15. After September 15, we will move forward with rolling over your 2020 season order to the 2021 season.
    Thank you and Go Duke!

Selfishly I am beyond disappointed. Have been looking forward to this season since last year. We are old and not in good health. Thought we could do the Durham trip this year but very likely won’t be able to make it for 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by 60sDukie View Post
    Selfishly I am beyond disappointed. Have been looking forward to this season since last year. We are old and not in good health. Thought we could do the Durham trip this year but very likely won’t be able to make it for 2021.
    Hope your health improves and you can come next season. Coming this year might have been the last thing you did...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The AP rankings are out, and as of now, they include plenty of BIG-10 and PAC-12 teams.
    I'm guessing that changes pretty quickly after week one.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

Duke's first opponent, ND, is 10th.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I put the email in the “when will sports return” thread. Here’s what I got (there’s been a couple of marketing messages since):

Dear Blue Devils fan,
    Due to the impact of COVID-19, Duke University will begin its fall sport program seasons without spectators at home events. Click here for the full release.
    As a football season ticket holder, we have three options for your ticket charges:
    Roll over your 2020 season ticket and parking order toward your 2021 season order.
    Convert your ticket and parking charges into a tax-deductible donation to the Iron Dukes Annual Fund. This would be an additional one-time donation and would be deductible. In addition, the Iron Dukes office will award extra bonus credit for the full amount of your converted donation, in essence doubling the Iron Dukes credit for this donation. The Iron Dukes Annual Fund helps Duke to cover the scholarship costs for our student-athletes.
    Receive a refund of your ticket and parking charges. Refunds would be issued to the credit card used for the original purchase. If you paid with check, your account representative will reach out with further information.
    Our default will be to roll over your ticket and parking charges to the 2021 season. If this option is your preference, you do not need to take any action. If you would like one of the other two options, please contact the Duke Athletics Ticket Office at 919-681-BLUE by September 15. After September 15, we will move forward with rolling over your 2020 season order to the 2021 season.
    Thank you and Go Duke!
    With a tear in my eye today I called and requested a refund for my four Duke football season tickets. My dad had these tickets when I started regularly going to games with him in 1960.
    When my Duke alum dad died 18 years ago, I purchased the same four tickets. So this year will break a 60 year tradition. A very sad day. Go Duke!
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide