Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Football 2020

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    I’m with you. Spurrier gave us winning records as OC and Head Coach. In today’s world everyone of those teams is bowl bound. How can anyone be upset when their young coach leaves to go “home.” I would take a Steve Spurrier clone right now for the next few years to use us a stepping stone.
    Moreover, in a world filled with coach speak (e.g. we respect their ballclub but we don't fear their ballclub, etc) Steve didn't mince words. If he didn't like someone (Hello George Welsh) he'd say so. I thought that was refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Moreover, in a world filled with coach speak (e.g. we respect their ballclub but we don't fear their ballclub, etc) Steve didn't mince words. If he didn't like someone (Hello George Welsh) he'd say so. I thought that was refreshing.
    Steve Spurrier had a really nice touch in "blurting out the truth." As in, if his team lost because of an interception on a broken play, he might say,"I dunno. I thought it was a good idea at the time. I was wrong."

Also impressive were his spontaneous calls. Players who played QB for him at Florida would say, if you're a quarterback on the Florida team, you're going to play. You're a third stringer on the bench, and the head coach yells, "Jones come over here." Then he says, "Go into the game -- here's the play we're gonna run." Refreshing.

I remember when one of Spurrier's successors in Washington, Mike Shanahan, sat a quarterback at the end of the game, and then tried to weasel out of it. "I didn't bench [McNabb?]; he was injured." Spurrier would have said. "Yeah, we were losing the game. I thought Grossman [or whomever] might help us win. I'm just a ball coach."

It also helped that Spurrier was a Heisman trophy winner at quarterback and played in the NFL for a decade (without much success). He didn't need to coddle quarterbacks.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Steve Spurrier had a really nice touch in "blurting out the truth." As in, if his team lost because of an interception on a broken play, he might say,"I dunno. I thought it was a good idea at the time. I was wrong."

Also impressive were his spontaneous calls. Players who played QB for him at Florida would say, if you're a quarterback on the Florida team, you're going to play. You're a third stringer on the bench, and the head coach yells, "Jones come over here." Then he says, "Go into the game -- here's the play we're gonna run." Refreshing.

I remember when one of Spurrier's successors in Washington, Mike Shanahan, sat a quarterback at the end of the game, and then tried to weasel out of it. "I didn't bench [McNabb?]; he was injured." Spurrier would have said. "Yeah, we were losing the game. I thought Grossman [or whomever] might help us win. I'm just a ball coach."

It also helped that Spurrier was a Heisman trophy winner at quarterback and played in the NFL for a decade (without much success). He didn't need to coddle quarterbacks.
    good post, Sage. Yeah, for those of us who got to watch him, you could see the wheels turning...he'd grab a QB on the sideline, almost send him back out with a play, then reconsider, yank him back, tell him what to do and shove him onto the field.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Also worth mentioning that Coach thought enough of Duke that his son graduated from Duke, and his grandson is currently at Duke. That speaks well of his feelings for Duke University.
    Then why did he do a disappearing act, at least mentally, in the prep for the 1989 bowl game? At the time, I felt he had already checked out of Duke and was concentrating on Florida. I have seen or heard nothing since then to change my mind.

I still think his exit at South Carolina speaks volumes about him.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Then why did he do a disappearing act, at least mentally, in the prep for the 1989 bowl game? At the time, I felt he had already checked out of Duke and was concentrating on Florida. I have seen or heard nothing since then to change my mind.

I still think his exit at South Carolina speaks volumes about him.
    He agreed to coach Florida; he needed to get started with recruiting, and he turned the Duke team over to his assistants. We got waxed by Texas Tech. Check out the record of coaches accepting another offer before a bowl game. Don't they usually leave? How about our last bowl game against Temple? Its coach, Geoff Collins, jumped to Ga. Tech -- and he wasn't at the bowl game.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

One thing that made Spurrier successful was that he understood opposing defenses. His QB’s were trained to call audibles at the line of scrimmage. Whenever audibles were called, something good usually happened. Admittedly, I didn’t follow him after he departed Duke.