Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Football 2020

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Perfect setup as I thought might happen to play BIG champion in Rose Bowl; winner claims shared National Championship. BCS always was a Southern thing.
    They can play that championship game in March, the Sunday of hoop Final Four weekend...

Before the day expires, just a friendly reminder that today is David Cutcliffe’s birthday.

With all due respect to Steve Sloan, Carl Franks, Ted Roof , and with a tip of the chapeau to The Old Ball Coach, I’m extremely grateful Cut has called Duke home for the past 12 plus seasons.

Happy birthday Coach Cut!

QB Chris Katrenick has opted out of the rest of the season and LB Brandon Hill, who previously opted out this year, is in the transfer portal as a grad transfer.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    QB Chris Katrenick has opted out of the rest of the season and LB Brandon Hill, who previously opted out this year, is in the transfer portal as a grad transfer.
    Not too surprised to hear that. Doesn’t seem like he had a fair shot last year or this year. No idea what goes on at practice, but he seemed solid in the limited time he got on the field. I kept thinking he would replace Quentin in the 2nd half last year but never happened. He looks he could take better care of the ball than Brice! As I said before, Cut is too loyal to his staff and players and seems unwilling to make changes even when it seems obvious one is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    We’ve probably seen the last of Katrenick but that’s just an opinion. Brandon Hill is a talented LB so it is disappointing he is transferring.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    We’ve probably seen the last of Katrenick but that’s just an opinion. Brandon Hill is a talented LB so it is disappointing he is transferring.
    It sure would be nice if we could get some good news concerning our football program. The hits just keep on coming. Hard not to be depressed a out the whole situation.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

We’ve probably seen the last of Katrenick but that’s just an opinion.
    Katrenick already transferred to 404 (page deleted--not ATL) on GoDuke. We probably needed to win 8 games this year to go bowling when the requirement for 6 wins was suspended. I doubt we will see Diamont's redshirt burned, but we could see Gavin Spurrier against FSU. It is 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Katrenick already transferred to 404 (page deleted--not ATL) on GoDuke. We probably needed to win 8 games this year to go bowling when the requirement for 6 wins was suspended. I doubt we will see Diamont's redshirt burned, but we could see Gavin Spurrier against FSU. It is 2020.
    Didn't they change the rule so Diamont (or anyone else) could play a few games without burning his redshirt?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Didn't they change the rule so Diamont (or anyone else) could play a few games without burning his redshirt?
    Yes. The limit is four games.
    Bob Green

Yes. The limit is four games.
    Not only that, but they changed the 2020 rule so that this whole season doesn’t count. Diamont could play in every Duke game and not lose a season of eligibility.

This is all irrelevant, though. Cut will not change.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Not only that, but they changed the 2020 rule so that this whole season doesn’t count. Diamont could play in every Duke game and not lose a season of eligibility.

This is all irrelevant, though. Cut will not change.
    If this season continues to go south why not give Diamont a chance in the last 2 weeks. Think the coaching staff knows the 2020 rule?

Think the coaching staff knows the 2020 rule?
    Yes.
    Bob Green

If this season continues to go south why not give Diamont a chance in the last 2 weeks. Think the coaching staff knows the 2020 rule?
    Yes, they know the rule.

No, there is no reason to believe Cut (not “the coaches,” just Cut) will give anyone else a chance. (See, e.g., Katrenick, C., season-opt-out.)

Per Adam Rowe at 247 Sports, Mark Gilbert is opting out of the remainder of the season and declaring for the draft (I was tempted to make this its own thread, and maybe it should be one).

https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...aft-153664412/

Shame for our defense, but wish him the best of luck. Kind of feels like guys are bailing on the season a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Per Adam Rowe at 247 Sports, Mark Gilbert is opting out of the remainder of the season and declaring for the draft (I was tempted to make this its own thread, and maybe it should be one).

https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...aft-153664412/

Shame for our defense, but wish him the best of luck. Kind of feels like guys are bailing on the season a little bit.
    Can't blame them. Nothing left to play for this season. Too much risk to simply play out the season for no reason. Will be surprised if Gilbert is the last to opt out.

Best of luck to him and his health. When healthy he's terrific. Having said that, no way he gets drafted...he'll have to prove his durability in some training camp...I hope he does, but it's something of a very long shot.

Star DB Marquis Waters is leaving Duke as a graduate transfer. This is a huge loss.
    https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...tal-156886848/

Also, Duke DB Coach Chris Hampton is leaving Duke for the D Coordinator job at Tulane. He was at here just one year.
    https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...ane-156907286/
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Marquis Waters leaving is a big loss. Unfortunately, I do not believe he will be the Lone Ranger.
    Bob Green

Marquis Waters leaving is a big loss. Unfortunately, I do not believe he will be the Lone Ranger.
    I agree with you Bob on both accounts. Waters is a big loss and I don't believe he will be the last to leave. Sinking ship?

GoDuke!