Jake Rimmer and Ben Wyatt opt out for 2020

Long snapper Ben Wyatt and offensive lineman Jake Rimmer opted out of the 2020 season due to COVID-19 concerns. Wyatt is a senior, will graduate and move on. John Taylor has been the short snapper and will get the first shot at taking over Wyatt's role.

Rimmer has played little due to injury. It looks like he also will graduate and move on with his life.

Both will remain on scholarship.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...244794562.html

“They just weren’t comfortable playing in the environment of this virus and we certainly support them in every way,” Cutcliffe said. “They are two great young men.”
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Losing your long snapper is an unenviable situation; however, I certainly understand the player’s concerns.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Long snapper Ben Wyatt and offensive lineman Jake Rimmer opted out of the 2020 season due to COVID-19 concerns. Wyatt is a senior, will graduate and move on. John Taylor has been the short snapper and will get the first shot at taking over Wyatt's role.

Rimmer has played little due to injury. It looks like he also will graduate and move on with his life.

ouch. I'm not smart enough to know what the problem has been, but due to either bad talent assessment, poor development, or just plain bad luck (injury), we've had a whole lot of offensive linemen in the past few years who really haven't worked out at all. I'm suspecting a combination of those factors...

Again, I think this is just the beginning of many athletes (and others) from not participating in Fall sports, given the risks from Covid-19. As I linked yesterday, the NCAA has now said that athletes on athletic scholarships cannot have the scholarships rescinded if they elect not to play their sport.

I'm predicting we're going to see many, many more announcements like this. And it would not surprise me in the least if it eventually causes many of the sports' teams to cancel their seasons (just from lack of available athletes).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Dominoes.

If Duke (and other schools) weren't glued to the hip of the conference they are members of, seasons would be getting canceled/postponed left and right as of a month ago.
    As it is now, I'm guessing nobody wants to take the risk of financial penalty for dropping out. Not because the school doesn't get revenue, but how it affects the conference as well.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Dominoes.

If Duke (and other schools) weren't glued to the hip of the conference they are members of, seasons would be getting canceled/postponed left and right as of a month ago.
    As it is now, I'm guessing nobody wants to take the risk of financial penalty for dropping out. Not because the school doesn't get revenue, but how it affects the conference as well.
    yeah, I suspect no one wants to go first, but the longer this goes on, the less logical it becomes. Regroup and get ready for (hopefully) Spring practice...even that has to be in doubt.

I'm still on the "I'll believe it when I see it" train for college sports. Lots of talk and plans that likely amount to nothing.

I just had a thought.

Referees?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I just had a thought. Referees?
    My understanding is that many ACC football crews live within driving distance of UNC. (Seriously, a bunch are from Georgia to Virginia.) I would assume there would be some early retirements or leaves of absence, but you only really need 8 busy crews + alternates with this schedule instead of 10. If we have a season, it might be like the NFL replacement referees.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I just had a thought.

Referees?
    They suck. They really really suck.

(but good question and vibes to them)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    They suck. They really really suck.
    Yes, especially ones who call Duke/Miami football games.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    My understanding is that many ACC football crews live within driving distance of UNC. (Seriously, a bunch are from Georgia to Virginia.) I would assume there would be some early retirements or leaves of absence, but you only really need 8 busy crews + alternates with this schedule instead of 10. If we have a season, it might be like the NFL replacement referees.
    Hopefully, the clowns (kind term) who "reffed" the Duke-Miami larceny are no longer acc employees.

Edit: waaaay late response as I see peloton has this covered; I've been traveling the last few hours and just getting around to reading DBR in the wee hours this AM
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Add Brandon Hill and Myles Hudzick to the opt out list.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Add Brandon Hill and Myles Hudzick to the opt out list.
    Not a surprise here. It may be irrelevant because I think there is a strong possibility that the season will not take place anyways. But even it does, I'm sure there will be quite a few other players who will not participate.

Hill was a projected started at LB.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide