Comcast/Xfinity Outage

Since Tropical Storm Isaias passed through and wreaked havoc on much of NJ earlier this week, I've been without internet/Wi-Fi/cable. My electricity was restored within 24 hours, but Comcast is reporting that their services will not return until this Sunday night. It's my understanding that the outage goes all along the east coast north of North Carolina, but it's very hard to find any specific information. Does anyone have any more details about this Comcast situation?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Since Tropical Storm Isaias passed through and wreaked havoc on much of NJ earlier this week, I've been without internet/Wi-Fi/cable. My electricity was restored within 24 hours, but Comcast is reporting that their services will not return until this Sunday night. It's my understanding that the outage goes all along the east coast north of North Carolina, but it's very hard to find any specific information. Does anyone have any more details about this Comcast situation?
    Haven't heard that one, but I remember years ago a storm cut a major fiber at the Raritan River, knocking internet out for a few days in the mid-Atlantic.

-jk

I thought we were unscathed except for the recycle bin that tried to be a raft. Power stayed on the whole time. Next darry we lost xfinity, for the first time since we fired Mr. FIOS in February. I was able to limp through the day using my mobile hotspot for internet but all was good yesterday. Good luck!! I am impressed with the false precision of their estimated resolution time on the outage map: 12:18 becase 4:18 became 8:16 (all equally wrong!!)
    "Quality is not an option!"

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    I thought we were unscathed except for the recycle bin that tried to be a raft. Power stayed on the whole time. Next darry we lost xfinity, for the first time since we fired Mr. FIOS in February. I was able to limp through the day using my mobile hotspot for internet but all was good yesterday. Good luck!! I am impressed with the false precision of their estimated resolution time on the outage map: 12:18 becase 4:18 became 8:16 (all equally wrong!!)
    As I learned in bidness, precision is way more important than accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Here is the outage map according to downdetector.com

Screenshot_2020-08-07 Status overview.jpg
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Here in suburban Atlanta, my Internet speed has dropped about 50%. Might not be related to the storm.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Here in suburban Atlanta, my Internet speed has dropped about 50%. Might not be related to the storm.
    Virtually school start maybe?

Did anyone else initially mis-read the headline as " Comcast/Xfinity Outrage " ?

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Did anyone else initially mis-read the headline as " Comcast/Xfinity Outrage " ?
    that goes without saying.

Cable service is nice when it works; when you need help, best o' luck to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    that goes without saying.

Cable service is nice when it works; when you need help, best o' luck to ya.
    My wife briefly did business with our cable provider, working with some people who were fairly high up. A few times we had issues and she called her contact and it was truly incredible the response we got. One time the repairman got to us in record time and fixed the issue in about two minutes (my bad). The regional supervisor called to see how things were going and we told him we were all set and he didn't need to come over, but he still insisted on coming over to check on things - I tried to explain that someone else probably need his help more than we did but he didn't listen.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    My wife briefly did business with our cable provider, working with some people who were fairly high up. A few times we had issues and she called her contact and it was truly incredible the response we got. One time the repairman got to us in record time and fixed the issue in about two minutes (my bad). The regional supervisor called to see how things were going and we told him we were all set and he didn't need to come over, but he still insisted on coming over to check on things - I tried to explain that someone else probably need his help more than we did but he didn't listen.
    If you happen to live in a state with a good, solid Public Utility department, they can be most helpful.
    When Comcast first installed our cable many years ago, they told me point blank that it wouldn't work for some length of time, (they could not even specualate when it would work) BUT that I would start paying immediately.

I pushed back, they said tough noogies, that's the way it is.

So I called our Public Service Dept, and within the hour I had a Comcast VP on the phone with me, bowing and scraping, and the next morning at 8 a.m. he had three Comcast trucks in my driveway. So yes, it's good knowing to whom you should complain...

Municipal broadband here. Thankfully can't even remember what it was like prior to that. But I do remember once going into local Comcast office to get some answers about something - maybe their service vs. others, and so forth. There was a long line of irate people ... I didn't stay, but never forgot the impression it made upon me.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Long Story:

We had years of problems with Time Warner Cable first with TV and then with internet when it became available. It was terrible...for years. Around twenty years ago I had enough. I went through every level of the corporate customer service and still hit a wall. I was so angry that I eventually hunted down the home phone number of Richard Parsons. It took some doing and cross referencing property records and such but I eventually found it. I called him on a Saturday morning. He actually answered the phone! I explained the situation. His first question was “How did you get this number?” I explained. His second comment was “It’s Saturday.” I said yes I know but the problem has been going on for years. He said he understands the frustration, would have someone take care of it and took my number. Ten minutes later someone calls and says a crew will be there Sunday morning. They replaced the wiring and equipment for the entire street. The local TWC people apparently knew the cul da sac was too far from their node for consistent service but didn’t want to spend the money to fix the problem. The entire street hasn’t had a localized problem since.

Sounds like many here have solved similar problems. So, who should Rich call and what’s their direct phone number?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Sounds like many here have solved similar problems. So, who should Rich call and what’s their direct phone number?
    If it's a multi-state outage, their is not much he can do. Just call and get credit for the outage days. At lease he will not have to pay for the week without service.

If it's a local issue try:

Thomas Karinshak
    Executive Vice President Customer Service
    1701 JFK Blvd
    Comcast Center
    Philadelphia, PA 19103
    (215) 665-1700

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    The local TWC people apparently knew the cul da sac was too far from their node for consistent service but didn’t want to spend the money to fix the problem. The entire street hasn’t had a localized problem since.
    I'm dumping Spectrum (the Time Warner successor) for exactly this problem. I am less enterprising than you, I guess. We have two available, so I'm switching to the other one. We'll see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I'm dumping Spectrum (the Time Warner successor) for exactly this problem. I am less enterprising than you, I guess. We have two available, so I'm switching to the other one. We'll see how that goes.
    Well my business is seasonal so I have a lot of free time in the winter. Being a pain in the rear to CEO's and Presidents of giant corporations that are in the wrong has become a hobby. I know Wells Fargo hates me which brings a smile to my face. With TWC, they are the only game in town so switching was not an option for internet.