Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    It’s been said already, but that drive by Morikowa on 16 is just something you had to see live to believe. It was one of those shots you hope to hit when playing with friends and you would love to win bragging rights/small change, but don’t really care about missing badly. Once in your life.
    One other thing about that shot (and the coverage in general) - I consider myself somewhat of a traditionalist, but it LOVE the shot tracer. To the point that I am disappointed when they don’t show it. Like the first down maker in football, I don’t know how we ever watched without it. And it was perfect on that shot because you could see the ball tracking right at the flag the whole way.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    One other thing about that shot (and the coverage in general) - I consider myself somewhat of a traditionalist, but it LOVE the shot tracer. To the point that I am disappointed when they don’t show it. Like the first down maker in football, I don’t know how we ever watched without it. And it was perfect on that shot because you could see the ball tracking right at the flag the whole way.
    Video without the tracker... and it is sooo much better with the ball tracer on.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Video without the tracker... and it is sooo much better with the ball tracer on.
    Best part of that video is whoever said "Oh what a golf shot!".

Add me to the list of guys that LOVE the shot tracer. Really adds to the coverage IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Interesting - watching without the tracer makes the lack of a gallery more noticeable. With a normal gallery, you would hear cheering in anticipation building as the ball got closer to the green.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Yes! I know the players miss the gallery, but I love the overheard commentary that we usually don’t get.

ETA: without the tracer, I focused on his caddy stepping quickly into the frame to watch the shot to see if it was really headed as true as he thought.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post

Add me to the list of guys that LOVE the shot tracer. Really adds to the coverage IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Yes! I know the players miss the gallery, but I love the overheard commentary that we usually don’t get.

ETA: without the tracer, I focused on his caddy stepping quickly into the frame to watch the shot to see if it was really headed as true as he thought.
    I also loved Paul Casey's reaction, who was standing on the tee of the next hole. He asked his caddy or playing partner incredulously, "Who hit that?" And he was such a good sport in his interview after his round, especially considering he's been close to winning a major so many times. Casey impresses me very much. A true gentleman.

Supporting article: https://www.centredaily.com/sports/a...244843827.html
    Last edited by Rich; 08-10-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Add link to supporting article
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I also loved Paul Casey's reaction, who was standing on the tee of the next hole. He asked his caddy or playing partner incredulously, "Who hit that?" And he was such a good sport in his interview after his round, especially considering he's been close to winning a major so many times. Casey impresses me very much. A true gentleman.

Supporting article: https://www.centredaily.com/sports/a...244843827.html
    I saw Casey's interview after his round as well and I was impressed. So gracious, just seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Yeah, almost* everything about the event was a rousing success for the PGA. Young stars emerging, with Morikawa winning and Scheffler, Champ, Finau, DeChambeau, Wolff, Schauffele, and Berger all in contention well into the afternoon Sunday. Some well-known vets (DJ, Casey, Day, Rose) in contention as well. Some incredible shotmaking, including but certainly not limited to the two haymakers landed by Morikawa on the back nine. A course that offered plenty of opportunity but severely penalized mistakes. Like 10 different guys who stood a legitimate chance of winning as of the back nine. I mean, prior to Morikawa’s eagle, they were discussing the possibility of a 3-hole playoff with everyone tied (and it could have been 7 or 8) teeing off in the same group! Personable interviews and gracious competitors*. Excellent TV coverage. It nearly had it all.

The only downside was the weird barbs fired by Koepka at - oddly enough - his friend DJ (and others, though the DJ comments stood out). But if you can look past that blemish, it was a really amazing event. Usually the PGA is a blah tourney, but kudos to them for bringing it this week. The US Open will have its hands full matching that.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, almost* everything about the event was a rousing success for the PGA. Young stars emerging, with Morikawa winning and Scheffler, Champ, Finau, DeChambeau, Wolff, Schauffele, and Berger all in contention well into the afternoon Sunday. Some well-known vets (DJ, Casey, Day, Rose) in contention as well. Some incredible shotmaking, including but certainly not limited to the two haymakers landed by Morikawa on the back nine. A course that offered plenty of opportunity but severely penalized mistakes. Like 10 different guys who stood a legitimate chance of winning as of the back nine. I mean, prior to Morikawa’s eagle, they were discussing the possibility of a 3-hole playoff with everyone tied (and it could have been 7 or 8) teeing off in the same group! Personable interviews and gracious competitors*. Excellent TV coverage. It nearly had it all.

The only downside was the weird barbs fired by Koepka at - oddly enough - his friend DJ (and others, though the DJ comments stood out). But if you can look past that blemish, it was a really amazing event. Usually the PGA is a blah tourney, but kudos to them for bringing it this week. The US Open will have its hands full matching that.
    They had a fairly significant falling out during the last Ryder Cup. I think calling them "friends" is a bit of an overstatement.

https://www.otbsports.com/videos/us-...fallout-236783
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    They had a fairly significant falling out during the last Ryder Cup. I think calling them "friends" is a bit of an overstatement.

https://www.otbsports.com/videos/us-...fallout-236783
    Koepka denies this: https://www.abccolumbia.com/2018/10/...ustin-johnson/

Everything I have read/heard is that they are friends and workout buddies when back home in Florida.

Koepka denies this: https://www.abccolumbia.com/2018/10/...ustin-johnson/

Everything I have read/heard is that they are friends and workout buddies when back home in Florida.
    Koepka is going to run out of friends at this rate.

He is a little full of himself. Kind of the anti-Paul Casey.

CONGRADULATIONS CDu on winning the first major of the year..

Koepka's comments were unbecoming .. I know I sound old school.. that todays younger fans love trash talking etc.. When I was growing up, my parents always said , "kids raised around golf or tennis learned how to behave, respect, and manners" . It didn't matter if it was the local muni, the private course , the pitch and putt, you behaved and showed respect. That's why Casey's comments about Morikawa's shot on 16 seemed so... right

I can't help but think how the tournament would have been different if they had scheduled it for this weekend. Last weekend was more June or July weather for that area than August, September, or October weather although we do get some cool Augusts. This four day stretch may be the hottest of the year here. Friday was pretty much completely windless too.