RIP Wilford Brimley

RIP Wilford. Not COVID related. Talented actor. I need to pour out some oatmeal in his honor.

Really torn on favorite performance:

My nominees are:
    Cocoon
    The Thing
    The China Syndrome
    The Natural
    Absence of Malice

I think I am going with The Natural. That movie does not work without the audience rooting fiercely for Pop.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Really torn on favorite performance:

My nominees are:
    Cocoon
    The Thing
    The China Syndrome
    The Natural
    Absence of Malice

I think I am going with The Natural. That movie does not work without the audience rooting fiercely for Pop.
    I'll go with Absence of Malice. Something special about his delivery in that final scene. "You ain't no Presidential appointee, Elliot. The one that hired you is me. You got 30 thirty days." Or "Wonderful thing, sub-peeny."

I enjoyed his subtly menacing performance in ‘The Firm.’

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    As someone who has it, he will always be Mr. Diabetes(said in his odd manner)

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    As someone who has it, he will always be Mr. Diabetes(said in his odd manner)
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2hNu1I9r_1A

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I'll go with Absence of Malice. Something special about his delivery in that final scene. "You ain't no Presidential appointee, Elliot. The one that hired you is me. You got 30 thirty days." Or "Wonderful thing, sub-peeny."
    I'm going with Absence of Malice. I've always loved the same scene that Phredd3 cited.

Despite his occasional and distinct lack of couth, some of the old Imus show impressions of Wilford were quite marvelous.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I enjoyed his subtly menacing performance in ‘The Firm.’
    I second this. Once I ran through the oatmeal jokes in my head, he was a sufficiently scary antagonist.

Also want to mention In & Out. Like with The Firm, it was weird casting at first. You could easily picture him as a small town Midwesterner, but he’s not an obvious choice to play the husband of Debbie Reynolds and the father of Kevin Kline. Still, his gruff frankness works well in that film.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Despite his occasional and distinct lack of couth, some of the old Imus show impressions of Wilford were quite marvelous.
    When I heard Brimley died that was actually the first thing I thought of. I remember some very awkward teenage moments in the car listening to those segments with my parents...

I debated including The Firm on my list but it felt like such a smaller role than the others in terms of its importance to the film. He was wonderful as the head of security for Bendini, Lambert, and Locke but he is no more than the 5th most important character in the film (Cruise, Hackman, Tripplehorn, and Hunter are all more significant... and several others are on par with him).

It is memorable but I think his MVP performance was either The Natural or Cocoon.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I debated including The Firm on my list but it felt like such a smaller role than the others in terms of its importance to the film. He was wonderful as the head of security for Bendini, Lambert, and Locke but he is no more than the 5th most important character in the film (Cruise, Hackman, Tripplehorn, and Hunter are all more significant... and several others are on par with him).

It is memorable but I think his MVP performance was either The Natural or Cocoon.
    I don’t know. When I think of The Firm I immediately think of Tom Cruise and Wilford Brimley.

Brimley: “Here’s your Abby, one day, walking to the mailbox anticipating the arrival of her Redbook or Sharper Image catalogue. What does she find instead? She finds heartache, Mitch. The death of love and trust. Imagine her opening that (as he hands Mitch a Manila folder containing incriminating photos).” Classic.

As an aside, who could forget Brimley being the only person in cinema history to be beaten to death by a soft leather briefcase? You can’t make this stuff up. Great movie overall with a memorable and subtly menacing performance by Wilford Brimley.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    When I heard Brimley died that was actually the first thing I thought of. I remember some very awkward teenage moments in the car listening to those segments with my parents...
    yeah, they kind of snuck up on us, didn't they? Not exactly fun for the whole family...

Quote Originally Posted by crazynotcrazie View Post
    i need to pour out some oatmeal in his honor.
    it's the right thing to do!