Bull Shark Attack, Grabs Fish!

My cousin and I hit Topsail Island today looking for spotted sea trout. We took his new two man kayak for stability, and as it turned out, might have been a wise idea.
    We were fishing a bay near New River, and were really lighting the fish up. We were working a shallow section with sea grass and saw what we took to be a big red drum feeding. Joey shot his lure past the spot and instantly hung into the biggest fish of the day,, a sea trout nearly 27 inches or so. As he was working the fish to the boat, I noticed a fin following it. Joey got the fish to the yak, and as I was about to net it,, a big bull shark grabbed it and smashed into the side of the kayak. It rocked us so hard I lost my footing and fell back into my seat. The shark was gone as fast as it appeared, leaving us both quite shaken.
    The shark was at least eight feet long and as wide as our cooler. We had to get back so we left that area, looking over our shoulders as we paddled out. If you have never stared down a shark's throat at 20 inches, don't try it...Bull sharks are nasty actors, and are common in our surf and back bays..

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Last week someone was bitten here in New Bern (in the Neuse River), a day or two later a 7' bull shark was landed close to the same location.
    PS, I'm more scared about swimming in the Neuse because it has everything that has flowed downhill between here and Raleigh dumped into it, not because of the sharks and gators that are in it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Five great whites have been hanging off the NC coast, two near the Pamlico Sound entrance waters. These are part of a study, and are tagged fish. Wonder how many are out there that are not tagged. One of them, a big female named "Catherine The Great", is over 18 feet long..

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    PS, I'm more scared about swimming in the Neuse because it has everything that has flowed downhill between here and Raleigh dumped into it, not because of the sharks and gators that are in it.
    Chapel Hill is part of the Cape Fear River watershed, not the Neuse River watershed.

Last week someone was bitten here in New Bern (in the Neuse River)
    Home of Camp Sea Gull, my son's favorite place on earth. He used to tell us about the precautions they took when the kids were swimming.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Chapel Hill is part of the Cape Fear River watershed, not the Neuse River watershed.
    That's Chapel Hill. I said Raleigh. It begins as the Eno River and Flat River, which flows into Falls Lake (and gets dammed up), and then flows on down here into the Pamlico Sound.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

That's Chapel Hill. I said Raleigh. It begins as the Eno River and Flat River, which flows into Falls Lake (and gets dammed up), and then flows on down here into the Pamlico Sound.
    I'm pretty sure it was a joke about all the trash coming from unc

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    My cousin and I hit Topsail Island today looking for spotted sea trout. We took his new two man kayak for stability, and as it turned out, might have been a wise idea.
    We were fishing a bay near New River, and were really lighting the fish up. We were working a shallow section with sea grass and saw what we took to be a big red drum feeding. Joey shot his lure past the spot and instantly hung into the biggest fish of the day,, a sea trout nearly 27 inches or so. As he was working the fish to the boat, I noticed a fin following it. Joey got the fish to the yak, and as I was about to net it,, a big bull shark grabbed it and smashed into the side of the kayak. It rocked us so hard I lost my footing and fell back into my seat. The shark was gone as fast as it appeared, leaving us both quite shaken.
    The shark was at least eight feet long and as wide as our cooler. We had to get back so we left that area, looking over our shoulders as we paddled out. If you have never stared down a shark's throat at 20 inches, don't try it...Bull sharks are nasty actors, and are common in our surf and back bays..

I hate that you lost the trout...I live on a salt water creek in the SOBX and sharks are certainly out there this time of year. I’m sure the reports of bites in the ocean surf will start pouring in soon. I can’t imagine one bumping my kayak... that’s crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Don't use sarcasm with me before I've had my coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    we respect your Cape but we don't fear your Cape...sports 101

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Home of Camp Sea Gull, my son's favorite place on earth. He used to tell us about the precautions they took when the kids were swimming.
    I went to Camp Don Lee, nextdoor to Sea Gull. I don't remember any precautions. Maybe it wasn't as toxic back then. I do remember trying to sail back from Oriental one time (about eight Sunfish) and the wind died, so we were going nowhere. One boat's occupants started screaming b/c a shark was circling them. They towed us one by one out of the immediate area but we still cooked on the river that day.

Good times! They kept Don Lee open this summer, they just cut the number of campers in half. Sea Gull and Sea Farer closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Yes, it was meant to be a joke