My cousin and I hit Topsail Island today looking for spotted sea trout. We took his new two man kayak for stability, and as it turned out, might have been a wise idea.
We were fishing a bay near New River, and were really lighting the fish up. We were working a shallow section with sea grass and saw what we took to be a big red drum feeding. Joey shot his lure past the spot and instantly hung into the biggest fish of the day,, a sea trout nearly 27 inches or so. As he was working the fish to the boat, I noticed a fin following it. Joey got the fish to the yak, and as I was about to net it,, a big bull shark grabbed it and smashed into the side of the kayak. It rocked us so hard I lost my footing and fell back into my seat. The shark was gone as fast as it appeared, leaving us both quite shaken.
The shark was at least eight feet long and as wide as our cooler. We had to get back so we left that area, looking over our shoulders as we paddled out. If you have never stared down a shark's throat at 20 inches, don't try it...Bull sharks are nasty actors, and are common in our surf and back bays..