Immaculate Reception Story

Figured this was off-topic and not EK, even though the story is on the front page.

The Steelers and Raiders were not tied 7-7. The Steelers trailed 7-6. It was 4th and 10 with 22 seconds left, and Pittsburgh had no time outs left. An incompletion there ends the game.

That - as well as the ricochet - is what made the play Immaculate.

And I will add that as a Pittsburgher, I heard that game on the radio. I didn’t see the play live. The NBC TV broadcast was blacked out in Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by 84Duke View Post
    Figured this was off-topic and not EK, even though the story is on the front page.

The Steelers and Raiders were not tied 7-7. The Steelers trailed 7-6. It was 4th and 10 with 22 seconds left, and Pittsburgh had no time outs left. An incompletion there ends the game.

And I will add that as a Pittsburgher, I heard that game on the radio. I didn’t see the play live. The NBC TV broadcast was blacked out in Pittsburgh.
    Yeah, I read that too on the front page but didn't bother to correct it, though it puts the play in a completely different light. To my memory Franco kept running straight into the locker room. But I honestly can't remember whether we went crazy or sat in stunned silence, wondering what we had just witnessed.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Yeah, I read that too on the front page but didn't bother to correct it, though it puts the play in a completely different light. To my memory Franco kept running straight into the locker room. But I honestly can't remember whether we went crazy or sat in stunned silence, wondering what we had just witnessed.
    I had no idea what I had just seen, and --IIRC -- neither did the announcers. And I am not sure about the referees, but wasn't this reviewed via videotape by the officials before the play was ruled a TD?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I had no idea what I had just seen, and --IIRC -- neither did the announcers. And I am not sure about the referees, but wasn't this reviewed via videotape by the officials before the play was ruled a TD?
    At the time this play occurred, it was illegal for two offensive players to touch the ball in a row so the refs had to verify the ball ricocheted off the defensive back.
    Bob Green

They covered this play in Episode #24 of the Peyton's Places series that ESPN ran a few months ago. It was available free at the time on ESPN; they may have moved it back into one of their other paying channels now. It was pretty fun to watch as they brought back the original players and tried to re-enact it - which didn't work out very well.

If you can still find it, it's pretty enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    At the time this play occurred, it was illegal for two offensive players to touch the ball in a row so the refs had to verify the ball ricocheted off the defensive back.
    Huh? What about a pass or handing the ball off? Or was it that two players who are not the QB could not touch it in a row. I'm very confused about this rule. Would this rule have forbidden laterals like on the famous Stanford-Cal band play or Miami's miracle over Duke (too soon)?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Huh? What about a pass or handing the ball off? Or was it that two players who are not the QB could not touch it in a row. I'm very confused about this rule. Would this rule have forbidden laterals like on the famous Stanford-Cal band play or Miami's miracle over Duke (too soon)?
    He's right, though I don't remember the specifics of the rule. If the ball had hit Frenchy Fuqua (still one of my favorite nicknames), Franco would not have been allowed to complete the play.

Poorly worded on my part...two offensive players could not touch a forward pass in a row (not including the QB). Basically, one receiver could not tip the ball to a second receiver.
    Bob Green

Currently sitting about 10 miles from the site of the Immaculate Reception, I figured I would do some research on the rule that existed at the time (GIYF). This link explains it pretty well:

Any forward pass (legal or illegal) becomes incomplete and ball is dead immediately if pass is caught by any A player after it has touched ineligible A player or second eligible A, and before any touching by B.

The Penalty of this this infraction is a loss of down at the previous spot.

https://www.profootballhof.com/immaculate-rule/

Would this rule have prevented the famous hook and ladder play by the Miami Dolphins against the Chargers in the 1981 playoffs?

Fewer rules = more fun!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Would this rule have prevented the famous hook and ladder play by the Miami Dolphins against the Chargers in the 1981 playoffs?
    No! The pass was cleanly caught and lateraled to the second player.
    Bob Green

It was a detail under the rules for "forward passes." Rule did not and rules today do not forbid laterals -- "hook and ladder (lateral) play," etc.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I was at an RV dealership today and our salesman had lots of Steelers stuff, including a huge framed photo of Franco Harris running towards the endzone with the description of the play underneath, and it was signed by Harris. Pretty cool.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by 84Duke View Post

To me, other than beating the hated Raiders, legendary broadcaster Myron Cope missed the play; he was on his way to the locker room for post-game interviews. IIRC, former broadcaster Jack Fleming had the call by himself. Myron probably would have blown a gasket on the call. "Double YOI!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    They covered this play in Episode #24 of the Peyton's Places series that ESPN ran a few months ago...
    If you can still find it, it's pretty enjoyable.
    It was very enjoyable I agree. Although I was forced to watch Peyton filet the Lions in person more than once, he's one charming son of a gun.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'