Happy 70th Birthday, Roy Williams

Roy turns the big 7-0 tomorrow, and 538 has written an article about his career and how he has largely refused to change with the times. It makes a lot of interesting points and there can be no doubt that Roy is a wildly successful coach who does it his own way. In a game that has evolved more and more away from the basket, Roy just plain refuses to rely on the 3.

Perhaps as a consequence of their inside-first approach, the Tar Heels have relied less on long-distance shooting than most teams. Under Williams, UNC teams have only once ranked in the top 200 in 3-point shooting frequency (No. 199 in 2006), and they’ve ranked 349th (2014) and 350th (2015) out of 351 in that metric. Even Williams’s two best outside shooting teams by 3-point percentage, the 2005 and 2009 teams, didn’t take many shots from downtown; they ranked 230th and 300th, respectively, in 3-point attempt rate, even though they drilled threes at clips of 40.3 and 38.5 percent. If that sounds like coaching malpractice by today’s standards, consider that both of those teams were kings of the Big Dance.
    The article includes a lot of other goodies about how Roy's teams play the game. While I might contest one or two of the points made by the author (who attended Georgetown, but who grew up in Chapel Hill as a Carolina fan), it is well thought-out and he has plenty of stats to back up his points.

-Jason "a worthy read at a time when there ain't that much to read about college sports" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

They play fast (not just in terms of their fast and secondary breaks, even in their half-court offense their guys and the ball are moving quickly and near-constantly), their offense is predicated upon taking high-percentage shots, and they rebound.

It's a good formula for success in college.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    They play fast (not just in terms of their fast and secondary breaks, even in their half-court offense their guys and the ball are moving quickly and near-constantly), their offense is predicated upon taking high-percentage shots, and they rebound.

It's a good formula for success in college.
    Yup, it's a solid system.

Roy is a much better game planner than many here give him credit. He is a much worse in-game adjuster than Carolina fans will admit.

And Roy knew. So 9F 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Roy is a much better game planner than many here give him credit. He is a much worse in-game adjuster than Carolina fans will admit.

And Roy knew. So 9F 'em.
    Post of the day.

And Roy knew. So 9F 'em.
    MTHN (My Tar Heel Neighbor) is a huge fan of Roy, as his family grew up here in Asheville and we're close friends with Roy. Having said that, Roy's stubbornness regarding in-game adjustments makes MTHN livid on the regular. It's the sort of thing that looks great when the team figures it out and pulls out a win, but looks terrible when they keep beating their heads against a wall and get thumped.

Of course as a, er, impartial observer, I enjoy watching MTHN get apoplectic at Roy's sticktoitiveness in a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    MTHN (My Tar Heel Neighbor) is a huge fan of Roy, as his family grew up here in Asheville and we're close friends with Roy. Having said that, Roy's stubbornness regarding in-game adjustments makes MTHN livid on the regular. It's the sort of thing that looks great when the team figures it out and pulls out a win, but looks terrible when they keep beating their heads against a wall and get thumped.

Of course as a, er, impartial observer, I enjoy watching MTHN get apoplectic at Roy's sticktoitiveness in a loss.
    How does your THN feel about all those timeouts Roy has saved over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Part of the same issue. Why call timeouts if you aren't changing anything?

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Or his substitution patterns?

What is going on here!

WHAT THE WHAT?!

Wishing ol' "Take the Credit, Shift the Blame" huck birthday greetings?!

Thunderbolts on the way. Has everybody gone nuts from distancing?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Or his substitution patterns?
    Like substituting a tutor for a basketball player for every test and term paper??

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

WHAT THE WHAT?!

Wishing ol' "Take the Credit, Shift the Blame" huck birthday greetings?!

Thunderbolts on the way. Has everybody gone nuts from distancing?
    I'm laughing as I'm typing this! Fantastic!

Say what you will the one thing I always thought Roy does a better job at then K is using his bench. But the is awful about using his To's in my opinion. There have been way too many games where he's left To's on the board at the end of games that he could have used to help his team's chances at winning. Hell not sure why he does that since you can't take those TO's with you and add them to your next game. You might as well use them if you got em!! That is unless he's just wanting to go home and get out of there sooner on those losing nights. LOL

I am not in the dadgum birthday spirit.

And Roy knew. So 9F 'em.

Dean knew.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Dean knew.
    Carolina fans say that Dean invented everything, so I’ll give him credit for inventing this too.

“The Carolina Way”