Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Considering ND makes less money on their NBC contract than ACC schools do with ESPN, this isn’t a win unless there’s something not being shared yet.
    Per game? That would be surprising to me if true.

Edit: This is actually true, apparently, but not significantly so. Back of the envelope math, payouts for each school might drop by about $500,000 and Notre Dame would see their revenue increase by ~$6-7 million.
    Last edited by Acymetric; 07-29-2020 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Probably wouldn't go, but I have seldom attended games in person, mostly just for convenience and the ability to watch Duke and other games from home. I wouldn't rule out attending a game, say under the circumstances of joining some old friends attending a particular game.

And perhaps things are markedly different with public health concerns come October or November. Probably not, but who knows for sure?
    Yes, you're invited to join us anytime/whenever Duke FB resumes.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    ACC Winter and Spring Olympic Sports:

Competition in the sports of swimming and diving, indoor track and field and fencing will be postponed until at least September 10
    Fall competition in the sports of men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s tennis, rowing, men’s and women’s lacrosse, softball and baseball has been canceled

Good thing these are spring sports, since their fall competition is cancelled. Or do they play exhibitions in the fall? Good thing these are spring sports, since their fall competition is cancelled. Or do they play exhibitions in the fall?
    Most spring sports play some type of fall ball to prep for the early February outside start. It's not required for every sport; Dino just starts the season very early instead, and he does pretty well.

I will agree this is a last ditch effort, and I don't see this season happening with the problems MLB is having. FB/MBB ticket sales combined provide 8 figures in revenue just like the TV split. We drop @Pitt and @Miami and add BC, FSU, and @Syracuse.
    Last edited by duke2x; 07-29-2020 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Per game? That would be surprising to me if true.

Edit: This is actually true, apparently, but not significantly so. Back of the envelope math, payouts for each school might drop by about $500,000 and Notre Dame would see their revenue increase by ~$6-7 million.
    Which makes me wonder why the ACC offered this without anything in return (extra conference games or extension of current deal) unless 1) ESPN is throwing in a little extra money to make everyone whole Or 2) most of the ND away games will be on the ACC Network as a way to boost subscribers

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Which makes me wonder why the ACC offered this without anything in return (extra conference games or extension of current deal) unless 1) ESPN is throwing in a little extra money to make everyone whole Or 2) most of the ND away games will be on the ACC Network as a way to boost subscribers
    I see more panic on the part of ND, BC, and Syracuse. The ACC and ND already lost multiple big games when the Big 10 and Pac 12 cancelled. ND lost WI, Stanford, and @USC. VT lost PSU. BC and Syracuse lost 2 home games each against lesser opponents. Syracuse has no home ticket revenue unless it can move home games to NJ, CT, or VT.

With Disney attendance and ESPN viewing way down, I think the desire for Disney to keep all the big $ games is pretty clear. Clemson adds Miami and VT. ND adds FSU. Duke and the other private schools won't get past the ACC Network or the leftover Fox Sports South spot. It's no different from Duke and Syracuse playing extra home-home series in basketball whenever possible.

Duke is making all students sign an agreement/compact upon entry for the semester that they will not leave the area at all and will not have any guests...I guess this doesn't apply to athletes?!? Wholly inconsistent. But I think I still agree with it for now because better to have a plan and back out than have no plan if situations improve (unlikely of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Duke is making all students sign an agreement/compact upon entry for the semester that they will not leave the area at all and will not have any guests...I guess this doesn't apply to athletes?!? Wholly inconsistent. But I think I still agree with it for now because better to have a plan and back out than have no plan if situations improve (unlikely of course).
    Agree. It's generally easier to stop something you've started than to start something you've stopped.

Also, it's good to have the checks for the first semester housing and such in the bank.

I've seen some academics deride this decision (not just specific to Duke but elsewhere too) claiming it shows universities prioritize athletes and give preferential treatment to those students. Then, there's another perspective (more prevalent on this site given it's a sports fan site) that says it shows that universities don't care about their athletes and just care about the money. So, both of those perspectives generally disagree with the proposal, but attribute the decision-making to seemingly opposite motivating factors! (i.e. caring too much vs. not at all about athletes). Pretty humorous if you ask me. Funny how perspectives can differ. Of course, those aren't the only two POVs that exist - I'd bet if you polled the football players themselves they overwhelmingly want to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I've seen some academics deride this decision (not just specific to Duke but elsewhere too) claiming it shows universities prioritize athletes and give preferential treatment to those students. Then, there's another perspective (more prevalent on this site given it's a sports fan site) that says it shows that universities don't care about their athletes and just care about the money. So, both of those perspectives generally disagree with the proposal, but attribute the decision-making to seemingly opposite motivating factors! (i.e. caring too much vs. not at all about athletes). Pretty humorous if you ask me. Funny how perspectives can differ. Of course, those aren't the only two POVs that exist - I'd bet if you polled the football players themselves they overwhelmingly want to play.
    Or you can combine it into one grand unified theory of money.

Universities care about their athletes so much as their ability to bring in the money.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

Universities care about their athletes so much as their ability to bring in the money.
    This is the correct answer. It's money over academics, money over health and safety. It's @$#&+# disgusting.

If it is really just some dang simple that it comes down to the money these "student" athletes make the college, quit pretending that they are fairly compensated.

Well, what'cha gonna do?

We can wring our hands over the role of money in athletics, education, health care, food, society, etc. but, hey, it's football season. Are you going to attend any games this year - with your mask, social distancing, hand sanitizers, Lysol spray and friends/family or not?

I plan on going to a game. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I believe Stephen Hawking was working on that when he died.

Big-time sports keeps reminding me of Cabaret. Money, money, money. Makes the world go around.

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Jack View Post
    We can wring our hands over the role of money in athletics, education, health care, food, society, etc. but, hey, it's football season. Are you going to attend any games this year - with your mask, social distancing, hand sanitizers, Lysol spray and friends/family or not?

No sir. I will happily watch from home, root for Duke, and decry the insanity of the situation.

The Magic 8 Ball says: Ask again later. I would have gone to most to all of them this year before COVID-19. (I need Miami football to complete the football-basketball ACC cycle.) I really would like to go the Big 4 games at least. We only get the @NCSU game 1 time every 12 years, and they haven't beaten us since 2008, a major sticking point with some of them.

At present no outsiders can come to campus for games. This would need to change to have a home game with fans at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    At present no outsiders can come to campus for games. This would need to change to have a home game with fans at Duke.
    given that, I wonder if they will invite staff/students/faculty so long as they stay socially distant and wear masks.
    1200. DDMF.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    The Magic 8 Ball says: Ask again later. I would have gone to most to all of them this year before COVID-19. (I need Miami football to complete the football-basketball ACC cycle.) I really would like to go the Big 4 games at least. We only get the @NCSU game 1 time every 12 years, and they haven't beaten us since 2008, a major sticking point with some of them.
    In the revamped schedule, Miami is off our list this year.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    acc officials still might find a way to gift them the W.

(yep, still too soon and I'm still a bit steamed about it )
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Our only sure win. It's not fair.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Our only sure win. It's not fair.
    GTHC

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Also the UVA game moved from a home game to an away game. Without fans in either stadium, not sure that makes much of a difference.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."