Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    How will they do a championship game without divisions? I thought the ACC had put forward a proposal to allow this but it got voted down. Is it because they’ll have fewer than 12 regular season games so for NCAA purposes it won’t officially be a conference championship game?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    How will they do a championship game without divisions? I thought the ACC had put forward a proposal to allow this but it got voted down. Is it because they’ll have fewer than 12 regular season games so for NCAA purposes it won’t officially be a conference championship game?
    The Big 12, which of course has ten teams, got the rule changed so they could hold a championship game. (Before you needed 12.) They have the top two teams in the standings play.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    The Big 12, which of course has ten teams, got the rule changed so they could hold a championship game. (Before you needed 12.) They have the top two teams in the standings play.
    Who plays when multiple teams are 2-0 and the season gets shut down? I go with the one with prettiest colors.
    We're in, Chapel Cheaters are out, and then it's a fashion show.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I’ve brought this up before, but — let’s look at Syracuse’s schedule and the games that may be impacted by New York’s quarantine requirements:

Home

Boston College
    Duke — do we have to quarantine in NY for the 14 days before the game?
    Georgia Tech — same?
    North Carolina State — same?
    Wake Forest — same?

Away

Clemson — does Syracuse have to quarantine upon returning from this game for 14 days?
    Louisville — or this one?
    North Carolina — same?
    Notre Dame
    Pittsburgh — same (I think)?

Of their 10-game schedule, only two (BC and ND) are against non-quarantine state teams as of today. North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania (I think) and Kentucky are all on the list.

Blue Devil Nation
    @BlueDevilNation
    𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟎 𝐔𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐒𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐝𝐮𝐥𝐞 Duke Football (no dates)

𝙃𝙤𝙢𝙚
    Boston College
    Florida State
    North Carolina
    Virginia Tech
    Wake Forest

𝘼𝙬𝙖𝙮
    Georgia Tech
    NC State
    Notre Dame
    Syracuse
    Virginia

One out of conference game to be added.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’ve brought this up before, but — let’s look at Syracuse’s schedule and the games that may be impacted by New York’s quarantine requirements:

Home

Boston College
    Duke — do we have to quarantine in NY for the 14 days before the game?
    Georgia Tech — same?
    North Carolina State — same?
    Wake Forest — same?

Away

Clemson — does Syracuse have to quarantine upon returning from this game for 14 days?
    Louisville — or this one?
    North Carolina — same?
    Notre Dame
    Pittsburgh — same (I think)?

Of their 10-game schedule, only two (BC and ND) are against non-quarantine state teams as of today. North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania (I think) and Kentucky are all on the list.
    You are totally correct in your questioning, but one switch - for NY, Indiana is a quarantine state, PA is not. Kentucky was just added this week. Check out the map in the attached article.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...ncert/2537336/

So will fall sports teams be filled solely with freshmen and sophomores? Because we already learned that juniors and seniors will not be allowed on campus. Or will there be an exception for all student athletes. Just wondering...

Ah, the Notre Dame Wrinkle

Notre Dame has infiltrated the ACC hierarchy:

AD's Kevin White and Bubba Cunningham were at Notre Dame.

WF President Nathan Hatch was provost at ND -- a Catholic at a Baptist institution? The horror! Actually, it's the other way around. He was the first senior executive at Notre Dame who was Protestant.

Surely there are lots of links with Boston College -- aside, of course, from the fact that they hate each other (one is Jesuit, one is not).

I'm still doing research.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I think this is the out clause.

"As a league, we understand the need to stay flexible and be prepared to adjust as medical information evolves in conjunction with local and state health guidelines.' "

If COVID-19 disappears or significantly improves, then the ACC has a framework in place. If it doesn't and six weeks from now we're still looking at high infection rates, travel bans, shut downs and so forth, then the league can say they at least tried.

In other words, it's easier to start and then stop then it is to try and put something together at the last minute.

But that said I'll be absolutely gob-smacked if the ACC has an 11-game schedule, followed by a league championship.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I think this is the out clause.

"As a league, we understand the need to stay flexible and be prepared to adjust as medical information evolves in conjunction with local and state health guidelines.' "

If COVID-19 disappears or significantly improves, then the ACC has a framework in place. If it doesn't and six weeks from now we're still looking at high infection rates, travel bans, shut downs and so forth, then the league can say they at least tried.

In other words, it's easier to start and then stop then it is to try and put something together at the last minute.

But that said I'll be absolutely gob-smacked if the ACC has an 11-game schedule, followed by a league championship.
    If it goes as planned- Duke has a good shot as they are used to playing with no fans in the stands

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    You are totally correct in your questioning, but one switch - for NY, Indiana is a quarantine state, PA is not. Kentucky was just added this week. Check out the map in the attached article.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...ncert/2537336/
    Thanks for the correction!

All athletes are coming back on Campus

regardless of class.

I may have missed it; did the ACC have anything to say about fan attendance at games?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I may have missed it; did the ACC have anything to say about fan attendance at games?
    IF they allowed fans in the stands, would you go?
    Keep in mind you are not interacting with the people hopefully 6 feet away from you, but also with those in the line for the rest rooms, the concessions, and the crowd at the gate, and everyone in between those points.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    That will likely be determined by schools and will depend on where things stand come September. At this point Duke is not allowing outsiders on campus for events.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    That will likely be determined by schools and will depend on where things stand come September. At this point Duke is not allowing outsiders on campus for events.
    But is a ticket holder an “outsider”? I’m sure they could find some wiggle room if they wanted to.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    *Notre Dame will also play a 10-game conference schedule and be eligible to compete in the 2020 ACC Football Championship Game

*All television revenue for the 2020 season, including Notre Dame’s home games broadcast by NBC, will be shared equally by all 15 institutions

Fascinating. If, of course, *any* FB games are played.
    Considering ND makes less money on their NBC contract than ACC schools do with ESPN, this isn’t a win unless there’s something not being shared yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Whenever I attended games, I was basically by myself or with my immediate family -- unless I sat with Bob Green.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Considering ND makes less money on their NBC contract than ACC schools do with ESPN, this isn’t a win unless there’s something not being shared yet.
    Is that football to football or ND football to ESPN/ACC Network everything? Because I think ND also gets a (reduced) share of the ESPN/ACC Network stuff.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    IF they allowed fans in the stands, would you go?
    Keep in mind you are not interacting with the people hopefully 6 feet away from you, but also with those in the line for the rest rooms, the concessions, and the crowd at the gate, and everyone in between those points.
    Probably wouldn't go, but I have seldom attended games in person, mostly just for convenience and the ability to watch Duke and other games from home. I wouldn't rule out attending a game, say under the circumstances of joining some old friends attending a particular game.

And perhaps things are markedly different with public health concerns come October or November. Probably not, but who knows for sure?