Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

ACC announces fall sports plans

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    No mention of whether the games will be open to the public or does the proviso "if public health guidance allows" cover public attendance as well?

So how does this work? Duke announced yesterday that there will be no events on campus.

“No in-person public events will be permitted on the Duke campus until further notice. This includes performances, concerts, lectures, reunions, alumni and development programs, conferences, symposia, tours, board meetings and any other event to which individuals who are not Duke students, faculty or staff would be invited or expected to attend. “

So will the opposing team and staff need to be temporarily employed by Duke to be permitted to play- or will Duke play home games off campus

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    So how does this work? Duke announced yesterday that there will be no events on campus.

“No in-person public events will be permitted on the Duke campus until further notice. This includes performances, concerts, lectures, reunions, alumni and development programs, conferences, symposia, tours, board meetings and any other event to which individuals who are not Duke students, faculty or staff would be invited or expected to attend. “

So will the opposing team and staff need to be temporarily employed by Duke to be permitted to play- or will Duke play home games off campus
    Rock, meet hard place.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This is humorous.
    Or sad.
    Or both.

The mighty dollar.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Notre Dame will also play a 10-game conference schedule and be eligible to compete in the 2020 ACC Football Championship Game
    This probably deserves its own thread.

Ha, someone in the ACC office needs to read a newspaper. Best o' luck with this "plan."

ACC Winter and Spring Olympic Sports:
    • Competition in the sports of swimming and diving, indoor track and field and fencing will be postponed until at least September 10
    • Fall competition in the sports of men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s tennis, rowing, men’s and women’s lacrosse, softball and baseball has been canceled
    Good thing these are spring sports, since their fall competition is cancelled. Or do they play exhibitions in the fall?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

"As we look ahead to the fall, the safety of our students, staff and overall campus community continues to be our top priority,” said Kent Syverud, Chancellor of Syracuse University and the Chair of the ACC Board of Directors.
    What massive self-deception. You don't even think about playing football games if safety is truly your top priority.

I predict this whole thing comes down in smoke and ash before the end of September. I hope no one has to die.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Good thing these are spring sports, since their fall competition is cancelled. Or do they play exhibitions in the fall?
    Golf and tennis go year round, though the schedule is generally much lighter in the fall and for tennis the fall is just a few tournaments, not head-to-head matchups.

LOL! Good luck.

My prediction: This will not end well.

Absurd!

I cannot believe President Price is in favor of this plan. I do not think Duke will be playing football this Fall. The scientists in the room do not project that the virus will be under control in the next weeks. In the end, I bet Duke considers the long term "forty year decision" and follows the Ivy League and defers competition.

Sam Houston. Out.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    LOL! Good luck.

My prediction: This will not end well.
    Let's hope sane heads end it before it doesn't end well.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'm not going to comment on the pandemic/public safety aspects of this, because that has already been well covered. And the Notre Dame aspect leaves me wanting to know if they are sharing their NBC revenue with the conference.

But the 10+1 model is pretty crazy. Each school is supposed to just decide which non-conference games they will drop? And what if their opponents also are under unusual rules? What if Georgia wants to drop Virginia but Virginia doesn't want to drop Georgia? What about the G5 or FCS lawsuits for canceled money games?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Golf and tennis go year round, though the schedule is generally much lighter in the fall and for tennis the fall is just a few tournaments, not head-to-head matchups.
    Softball typically plays a limited competitive schedule in the fall, as well, although the games are not counted in the season standings.

*Notre Dame will also play a 10-game conference schedule and be eligible to compete in the 2020 ACC Football Championship Game

*All television revenue for the 2020 season, including Notre Dame’s home games broadcast by NBC, will be shared equally by all 15 institutions

Fascinating. If, of course, *any* FB games are played.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    And the Notre Dame aspect leaves me wanting to know if they are sharing their NBC revenue with the conference.
    All TV revenue will be shared, including Notre Dame.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    *Notre Dame will also play a 10-game conference schedule and be eligible to compete in the 2020 ACC Football Championship Game

*All television revenue for the 2020 season, including Notre Dame’s home games broadcast by NBC, will be shared equally by all 15 institutions

Fascinating. If, of course, *any* FB games are played.
    I overlooked the ND revenue piece. That's fascinating *and* a big win for the conference--even if the games are not played.

All they are doing is keeping their options open.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Let's hope sane heads end it before it doesn't end well.
    I think a lot of the schools are wanting someone else to be the bad guy, that way they can at least say "we tried".

I'm not sure which part of this data says, "Let's cancel the ACCT and NCAAT back in March, but do football this fall"

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...orth-carolina/