Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Major League Baseball 2020

Is anybody watching? Season might be coming to a limping halt this week.

The Tigers are first in the AL Central, I don't want to jinx it by ordering a t-shirt just yet.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Is anybody watching? Season might be coming to a limping halt this week.

The Tigers are first in the AL Central, I don't want to jinx it by ordering a t-shirt just yet.
    Yep, it's made its way into the "when will sports return?" thread. But yeah, I don't have high hopes that the season makes it through. Not sure I expected the first weekend to put things in jeopardy, but here we are.

For what it is worth, there have now been way more players (and on more teams) who have tested positive this weekend than had tested positive when the NBA, NHL, and MLB shut things down back in the spring.

My Braves looked great last night. Not sure how many more games I'll get to see them play until next spring. Or the next spring. Or the next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    My Braves looked great last night. Not sure how many more games I'll get to see them play until next spring. Or the next spring. Or the next spring.
    Maybe they could cancel the season now, and just figure things on run differential like soccer.

Boy, they unloaded last night. I thought Riley's shot was gonna leave the building.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I thought Riley's shot was gonna leave the building.
    Anyone get a distance on that thing? It was freaking bombed!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Yep

I figure today may be the last day, so I'll watch the defending World Champion Washington Nationals against the nomadic Blue Jays.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I figure today may be the last day, so I'll watch the defending World Champion Washington Nationals against the nomadic Blue Jays.
    I remain divorced from baseball until I can travel to a Cobb County Barves game via train, but I am bored and currently watching the Diamondbacks and the Fathers (whose “old is new again” brown uniforms, I must say, are exquisite).

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I remain divorced from baseball until I can travel to a Cobb County Barves game via train, but I am bored and currently watching the Diamondbacks and the Fathers (whose “old is new again” brown uniforms, I must say, are exquisite).
    What train did you take to Turner Field that didn't take at least a 1 1/4 mile walk? (Not exceptionally convenient.)

Cobb County Barves
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    What train did you take to Turner Field that didn't take at least a 1 1/4 mile walk? (Not exceptionally convenient.)
    Distinctly more convenient than an entire county that actively held up regional transit development for 60 years, has no viable transit options within any walking distance, and laid its hypocrisy bare by publicly funding a stadium which is already losing money for the local municipalities.
    I’ve made my positions about this abundantly clear here, and really have no intention of being delicate about them, but sure, we can go down that road again if you like.

Distinctly more convenient than an entire county that actively held up regional transit development for 60 years, has no viable transit options within any walking distance, and laid its hypocrisy bare by publicly funding a stadium which is already losing money for the local municipalities.
    I’ve made my positions about this abundantly clear here, and really have no intention of being delicate about them, but sure, we can go down that road again if you like.
    Sorry, didn’t realize I was hitting a sore subject. (Seriously, wasn’t aware of your position.)

I will say, having been to the new ATM field in the suburbs, you’re not missing much from a baseball standpoint. The stadium itself is bland, the “features” are in the surrounding “streets” with bars and restaurants. And as a non-drinking non-Millennial who has some dietary restrictions, there was very little appeal to that area.

Risking more wrath, if you want to take a train to the game, head to Citi Field on the 7 (or a longer walk from the LIRR) and see the Mets. Probably need a plane in between the train rides, though. (This one not so serious.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Sorry, didn’t realize I was hitting a sore subject. (Seriously, wasn’t aware of your position.)

I will say, having been to the new ATM field in the suburbs, you’re not missing much from a baseball standpoint. The stadium itself is bland, the “features” are in the surrounding “streets” with bars and restaurants. And as a non-drinking non-Millennial who has some dietary restrictions, there was very little appeal to that area.

Risking more wrath, if you want to take a train to the game, head to Citi Field on the 7 (or a longer walk from the LIRR) and see the Mets. Probably need a plane in between the train rides, though. (This one not so serious.)
    Heh, sorry for the mild vitriol. That is indeed quite a sore subject for me.
    I’ve actually been to Citi a few times. I love NYC, in part because of its magically connective public transit.
    That being said, baseball is seriously more or less dead to me, and I’m completely serious that I’ll go to the new Barves yard only if and when I can get there on a train.
    I recognize that Turner Field wasn’t right adjacent to public transit, but Cobb’s MARTA obstructionism over the years, propped up by “small government” principles and thinly-veiled racism, followed by the utterly hypocritical backroom deal that took the Barves out there, was and is very galling to me. 2009-13 seasons, I attended a total of around 175 Braves games. The day after they announced the move, I cancelled half-season tickets and told them never to call me again. Since then, I have not attended a game and the only Barves baseball I have viewed was the 8 innings of hate watching I enjoyed after they fell behind 10-0 in the first inning to the Cardinals last fall.
    So yeah, I have some feelings about this. My apologies for the coarseness with which I barfed a few of them at you.

Heh, sorry for the mild vitriol. That is indeed quite a sore subject for me.
    I’ve actually been to Citi a few times. I love NYC, in part because of its magically connective public transit.
    That being said, baseball is seriously more or less dead to me, and I’m completely serious that I’ll go to the new Barves yard only if and when I can get there on a train.
    I recognize that Turner Field wasn’t right adjacent to public transit, but Cobb’s MARTA obstructionism over the years, propped up by “small government” principles and thinly-veiled racism, followed by the utterly hypocritical backroom deal that took the Barves out there, was and is very galling to me. 2009-13 seasons, I attended a total of around 175 Braves games. The day after they announced the move, I cancelled half-season tickets and told them never to call me again. Since then, I have not attended a game and the only Barves baseball I have viewed was the 8 innings of hate watching I enjoyed after they fell behind 10-0 in the first inning to the Cardinals last fall.
    So yeah, I have some feelings about this. My apologies for the coarseness with which I barfed a few of them at you.
    No problem. My mother went through something similar with her team moving. Of course, that team moved a little further, from Brooklyn to someplace west (even further west than New Jersey. )

I prefer taking the train to a stadium/arena, primarily so I don't need to deal with driving in a major city and/or dealing with paying for parking and after game traffic (says the traffic engineer!) Even if I'm driving to the area, I'll park remotely and "train" the rest of the way. Haven't driven in Manhattan in years, will drive an hour from my sister's to the Secaucus train station to avoid the last five miles, that take hours sometimes. (I could take the train the entire way, but that's a 2.5 hr+ ride that runs every hour, or two if very late.)

Of the 39 stadiums I've been to, I've taken the train to 17 of them. (Your comment made me count them. There were five others that I could have taken the train, but circumstances made the driving easier.) The others were mostly the suburban donuts built in the '70s that forced you to drive. (Some of the modern parks, such as Miller Park in Milwaukee, are "suburban" parking lot stadiums, too. That one was at least built next to the old County Stadium.)

So yeah, I have some feelings about this. My apologies for the coarseness with which I barved a few of them at you.
    FIFY.

Not a lot of social distancing at the Dodgers-Astros game last night

Gotta be the lamest "bench clearing" I've ever seen though.

We got the predicted (and well deserved) beanballs, but I don't know if the Dodgers took me up on my idea to bang a trash can lid before launching the pitches...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    We got the predicted (and well deserved) beanballs, but I don't know if the Dodgers took me up on my idea to bang a trash can lid before launching the pitches...
    There were no beanballs. There were a couple close calls from Joe Kelly (who has control issues and was way off the plate on a number of pitches...both inside and outside), but no one was actually hit by a pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    There were no beanballs. There were a couple close calls from Joe Kelly (who has control issues and was way off the plate on a number of pitches...both inside and outside), but no one was actually hit by a pitch.
    As Wikipedia and many other sources will tell you, connection with a head is not required for it to be called a beanball, as long as it is intentionally directed at the head. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beanball

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    As Wikipedia and many other sources will tell you, connection with a head is not required for it to be called a beanball, as long as it is intentionally directed at the head. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beanball
    Kelly was missing the strike zone inside, outside, low and high; he walked two batters on four pitches each and switched exclusively to the knuckle curve (throwing it all six times against Correa) because his fastball was all over the place. Kelly has known control issues--it seems like every few games has been like this since he joined the Dodgers--and airmailing a curveball to the backstop with two runners on did not seem intentional. Manfred seems to know better though, I guess.

My son heard something interesting/funny/alarming on the radio: MLB should remove the nets along the field lines and place scarecrows in the stands with pictures of the fans attached. Then if the ball takes the scarecrow's dome off, the fan gets the signed ball and a prize. Maybe even mount pumpkin heads on top of the scarecrows.

Might be a good experiment to force teams to really protect the fans.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'