Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 75 of 75
  1. #61

    That's a very nice thing to say

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    Gosh - that's so sensible ... and even doable. Can you come parent my kids? Or maybe me?
    Dear BlueTeuf,

    Since my two guys are happily rooted with their work and families, I have lots of extra time on my hands.

    What better way than to give a little boost to your kids, and you. My rates are very reasonable. Did I hear Cameron tickets?

    I do have a questionnaire I send to prospective peeps I engage with. It indicates the likelihood of success. The lowest score is "Hopeless cause" and the highest is "Please share your wisdom with hustleplays".

    Seriously, thank you for your gracious post. One of my goals in parenting was to be the kind of dad I always wanted but never had. I say with humility and gratitude that my guys say I reached that goal. And, btw, their Duke experience was a significant partner in our journey together.

    Go Duke!

    hustleplays
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

  2. #62
    Move in day for the kids!

    A bit sad to see they have to go through what should be a happy time, in the midst of a pandemic. Masks on and everything.

    Hopefully they get a "normal" season this year.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Move in day for the kids!

    A bit sad to see they have to go through what should be a happy time, in the midst of a pandemic. Masks on and everything.

    Hopefully they get a "normal" season this year.
    And in what is now typical 2020 fashion of “what more can happen”, the outer edges of tropical storm/hurricane Isaias is overhead dumping a lot of rain on the area.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Move in day for the kids!

    A bit sad to see they have to go through what should be a happy time, in the midst of a pandemic. Masks on and everything.

    Hopefully they get a "normal" season this year.
    The DukeMBB Instagram account had a video of move-in for the new players. Quite humorous seeing them move into the WaDuke! And using hotel bellhop carts and the like. Pretty sweet digs for a college freshman. (Obviously, they'd much rather have a "normal" situation that doesn't require them to stay there.)

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    The DukeMBB Instagram account had a video of move-in for the new players. Quite humorous seeing them move into the WaDuke! And using hotel bellhop carts and the like. Pretty sweet digs for a college freshman. (Obviously, they'd much rather have a "normal" situation that doesn't require them to stay there.)
    My favorite pictures were of Jeremy Roach, who brought his dog to move in!

  6. #66
    This is Duke's plan. Having been 18 once (a long time ago), I question how realistic this is.

    Quarantine.jpg

  7. #67
    IDK about others and their browsers, but that image is too small for me to fully read.

    Based on your comment, though, it sounds like it's time to get out the popcorn and watch the show.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    IDK about others and their browsers, but that image is too small for me to fully read.

    Based on your comment, though, it sounds like it's time to get out the popcorn and watch the show.
    Dropping my daughter off in 3 days. It's her life, not a show.

  9. #69
    https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/08/06/unive...uction-online/

    It's beginning. Johns Hopkins going to all online classes for the Fall semester. My guess is that we will see a tsunami of other colleges follow suit.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Throwing in the towel doesn't seem like a terribly bad idea at this point.

    Speaking of which, my wife and I were wondering over cocktails last night (this results in thought enhancements) might not a lot of students do well to just write off this year, and begin anew when there's a vaccine?

    It sounds really bad to take away a year of education, but hey, isn't this what college kids do with "gap years?"

    Far from ideal, but given some of the problems I see in opening up high schools, I'm not convinced many kids might not do better just taking the year off, try to learn various stuff at home, rather than fumbling and bumbling through an on-line or half on-line school year.

    If you want to fight thru the year with whatever plan your school system has, fine...but if you're displeased with it, just grab a do-over next year. If I had a kid who really struggled with the on-line option, I really consider this...

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Throwing in the towel doesn't seem like a terribly bad idea at this point.

    Speaking of which, my wife and I were wondering over cocktails last night (this results in thought enhancements) might not a lot of students do well to just write off this year, and begin anew when there's a vaccine?

    It sounds really bad to take away a year of education, but hey, isn't this what college kids do with "gap years?"

    Far from ideal, but given some of the problems I see in opening up high schools, I'm not convinced many kids might not do better just taking the year off, try to learn various stuff at home, rather than fumbling and bumbling through an on-line or half on-line school year.

    If you want to fight thru the year with whatever plan your school system has, fine...but if you're displeased with it, just grab a do-over next year. If I had a kid who really struggled with the on-line option, I really consider this...
    I've been thinking the same thought. But I think some colleges (and other schools) might be better just to cancel the entire year (and wait for the vaccine that will hopefully restore some normalcy to the current insanity). I think colleges could then allow kids, if they wanted to, to graduate with only three years of credits (or allow them to complete the full four years). I've advocated this for years - that colleges should go to a three-year model (and if they wanted, students could take an extra course each semester; five courses instead of the usual four, so they would only be two courses short of the 32 that they now take). It would save kids and their parents 25% from the overall cost of college and a lot of kids could possibly use that extra year to work to make some money or would allow kids to get into grad or professional school a year early and then start their careers earlier.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/08/06/unive...uction-online/

    It's beginning. Johns Hopkins going to all online classes for the Fall semester. My guess is that we will see a tsunami of other colleges follow suit.
    Not following. JHU is not the beginning of anything. Many schools have gone to full remote before them and some will after. Many other schools (majority) are still having students on campus. Not sure why JHU in particular would be the start of a tsunami???

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Duke freshmen move-in was very smooth today. Quick stop at Penn Pavilion for Covid test and to pick up Duke Card / room key. Then off to East Campus to move in. Not the easiest day for my wife and me, but we are very excited for our daughter. Hope the semester goes ok.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nashville
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Duke freshmen move-in was very smooth today. Quick stop at Penn Pavilion for Covid test and to pick up Duke Card / room key. Then off to East Campus to move in. Not the easiest day for my wife and me, but we are very excited for our daughter. Hope the semester goes ok.
    Glad to hear it went well! I bawled like a baby all day long when they first went off to Duke.

    My daughter is an RA in a freshman dorm on East, will be interesting to hear how it's going from her perspective.

  15. #75

    Well done!

    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Duke freshmen move-in was very smooth today. Quick stop at Penn Pavilion for Covid test and to pick up Duke Card / room key. Then off to East Campus to move in. Not the easiest day for my wife and me, but we are very excited for our daughter. Hope the semester goes ok.
    Dear freshmanjs,

    Very glad to hear of your positive experience. Congratulations and well done. Godspeed to your daughter and all of you. Go Duke!
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 04-30-2018, 10:45 PM
  2. A little announcement
    By Jumbo in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-25-2009, 06:09 AM
  3. Know anyone who needs housing in Atlanta?
    By DukeFencer in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 11:16 PM
  4. Atlanta area housing/job help
    By DukeFencer in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-26-2008, 08:36 AM
  5. Suggestions regarding UNC housing?
    By DST Fan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 04:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •