Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    And to further complicate things, Miami Marlin baseball players have tested positive for Covid-19 after playing in Philly over the weekend. Miami's home game against Baltimore, scheduled for Miami today, has been cancelled, as has the Yankees game in Philly. It remains to be seen whether non-bubble sports can be safely conducted in the USA.
    https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/mar...lies-postponed
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Another option for a gap year - Junior College classes, probably online, in areas totally outside their perceived major. They may find that they really want to try a trade instead of college. You can make a great living as a plumber or in HVAC. Everyone should have the opportunity to go to college but not everyone should go.

Or do online courses at a more local college with lower tuition - depending on what classes would transfer to their preferred university. I know not all schools will accept everything but it would be a cheaper option. A local small private school is actually running adds for this option. I think they hope that students will like the experience enough to stay to finish their degree.
    fwiw, it would be extremely difficult for such credits to transfer in to duke. You might be able to convince the DUS of the department to allow you to place out of a class, but almost surely not to fulfill a credit requirement.
    1200. DDMF.

Lots of sympathy and empathy...

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Yeah, that's an issue too. Although I've told her she can go if she wants. I'm trying not to make it about money in her case. These kids will learn a lot about resilience and flexibility, so that's a benefit. It's sad to hear her already saying things like "if I only lose 1 semester, that's pretty good." (recognizing this is a first world problem).
    As a parent, and one with a Duke UG who had the good fortune to have a marvelous gap year [because nothing was closed as so much is now], I just want to express my sympathy and empathy. Shepherding our children through their journey to begin college is filled with great effort and great expectations.

I admire your recognizing your situation as a first world problem, yet when it involves our own children that is not much consolation. It's a "precious my daughter" problem.

I do believe, strongly, that adversity can be our pathway to learning and growth -- learning and growth that we could not experience otherwise. My view comes from my own experience and that of others. I am currently confronting lymphoma and I am deeply grateful for the learnings I have gained -- learnings that I don't think I could have gained without this kind of existential challenge.

So, my hope for you and your daughter is that you frame/reframe this situation as a challenge: How can we create an experience that we couldn't have had otherwise? Perhaps it is in the form of some kind of service. The key is to affirm that what looks now like lemons can be converted to lemonade.

Harriet Tubman is one of my heroes. An unbelievably courageous person. Her "gap year" wasn't promising, and she had every excuse imaginable to declare herself unfit and not responsible for taking it upon herself to free over 700 slaves. Whenever I think of my own limits, and my seemingly daunting circumstances, I picture Harriet looking at me, perhaps rolling her eyes, and saying, "Sorry, I'm not buying it. Get out there and do what you can."

I hope that you don't mind my speaking so personally. As a Dad, your post spoke to my heart.

Go Duke!
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    As a parent, and one with a Duke UG who had the good fortune to have a marvelous gap year [because nothing was closed as so much is now], I just want to express my sympathy and empathy. Shepherding our children through their journey to begin college is filled with great effort and great expectations.

I admire your recognizing your situation as a first world problem, yet when it involves our own children that is not much consolation. It's a "precious my daughter" problem.

I do believe, strongly, that adversity can be our pathway to learning and growth -- learning and growth that we could not experience otherwise. My view comes from my own experience and that of others. I am currently confronting lymphoma and I am deeply grateful for the learnings I have gained -- learnings that I don't think I could have gained without this kind of existential challenge.

So, my hope for you and your daughter is that you frame/reframe this situation as a challenge: How can we create an experience that we couldn't have had otherwise? Perhaps it is in the form of some kind of service. The key is to affirm that what looks now like lemons can be converted to lemonade.

Harriet Tubman is one of my heroes. An unbelievably courageous person. Her "gap year" wasn't promising, and she had every excuse imaginable to declare herself unfit and not responsible for taking it upon herself to free over 700 slaves. Whenever I think of my own limits, and my seemingly daunting circumstances, I picture Harriet looking at me, perhaps rolling her eyes, and saying, "Sorry, I'm not buying it. Get out there and do what you can."

I hope that you don't mind my speaking so personally. As a Dad, your post spoke to my heart.

Go Duke!
    Thank you! Very helpful / thought provoking post.

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post

Go Duke!
    Gosh - that's so sensible ... and even doable. Can you come parent my kids? Or maybe me?

This may have already been covered, but is the plan to spread kids out and give everybody single dorm rooms? Or are they just going to close half of the dorms and still have everyone live with roommates? Also, when I was a student the freshmen all lived on East, sophomores who weren't in frats/sororities or selective houses lived in Trent (ugh), and upperclassmen who weren't in frats/sororities or selective houses largely lived on Central. My understanding is that much of this has changed, except for freshmen living on East. I would think that spreading them out would make sense, as would keeping them on West so they're not cramming onto crowded buses every day.

As for the upperclassmen, I can't imagine many of them would live in an off-campus apartment for one semester and then choose to move onto campus in the spring. Maybe if they were in a frat they would, but otherwise they would just choose to stay off campus for the whole year. That's going to be a mess - first off I hope that apartment complexes around campus will give students flexibility to sign three-month leases, but secondly I think in the Spring there will be very few students actually living on campus, unless the virus has subsided and the freshmen and sophomores are allowed to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    This may have already been covered, but is the plan to spread kids out and give everybody single dorm rooms? Or are they just going to close half of the dorms and still have everyone live with roommates? Also, when I was a student the freshmen all lived on East, sophomores who weren't in frats/sororities or selective houses lived in Trent (ugh), and upperclassmen who weren't in frats/sororities or selective houses largely lived on Central. My understanding is that much of this has changed, except for freshmen living on East. I would think that spreading them out would make sense, as would keeping them on West so they're not cramming onto crowded buses every day.

As for the upperclassmen, I can't imagine many of them would live in an off-campus apartment for one semester and then choose to move onto campus in the spring. Maybe if they were in a frat they would, but otherwise they would just choose to stay off campus for the whole year. That's going to be a mess - first off I hope that apartment complexes around campus will give students flexibility to sign three-month leases, but secondly I think in the Spring there will be very few students actually living on campus, unless the virus has subsided and the freshmen and sophomores are allowed to stay.
    No roommates. All singles.

sounds like a good try...but last year when I wandered a bit in my old dorm, I was struck by how narrow the halls are...a lot of very tight spaces in there, not to mention common bathrooms...they're going to have to do a LOT of testing to stay on top of this, but that's true at all schools.

I really don't see how some of the huge schools that have announced they're coming back full bore (e.g. Purdue, 40k+ students) can pull this off safely...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    sounds like a good try...but last year when I wandered a bit in my old dorm, I was struck by how narrow the halls are...a lot of very tight spaces in there, not to mention common bathrooms...they're going to have to do a LOT of testing to stay on top of this, but that's true at all schools.

I really don't see how some of the huge schools that have announced they're coming back full bore (e.g. Purdue, 40k+ students) can pull this off safely...
    From 1928-1932 we built a campus with a chapel that faithfully replicated the Gothic cathedrals in England of the 13 th century. We also successfully replicated the dormitories of the monasteries and universities of the 13th century.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

And with a bunch of 18 year olds there will NEVER be more than one person per room ever.

And with a bunch of 18 year olds there will NEVER be more than one person per room ever.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    even better, I doubt they'll bother moving the furniture around, so instant king size bed in every room.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Huh? I didn't claim that at all. Someone asked if they were doing singles or roommates and I answered the question. Not sure why the sarcastic comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    even better, I doubt they'll bother moving the furniture around, so instant king size bed in every room.
    This is true for most of the rooms. My daughter will have double furniture.

Huh? I didn't claim that at all. Someone asked if they were doing singles or roommates and I answered the question. Not sure why the sarcastic comeback.
    I didn't take that as being aimed at you. It's just one of the things we do here mostly for general consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    From 1928-1932 we built a campus with a chapel that faithfully replicated the Gothic cathedrals in England of the 13 th century. We also successfully replicated the dormitories of the monasteries and universities of the 13th century.
    Indeed. We also built an Indoor Stadium based on the human butts of the 1930s and not those of the 21st century. This requires serious wedging for a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Indeed. We also built an Indoor Stadium based on the human butts of the 1930s and not those of the 21st century. This requires serious wedging for a lot of people.
    Didn't they replace all seats in Cameron a few years ago? Did they keep the widths identical? They changed their color at the very least.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Didn't they replace all seats in Cameron a few years ago? Did they keep the widths identical? They changed their color at the very least.
    I don't think they've ever replaced them. At least not in the last 40 years. They took some out to make room for the new Crow's Nest.
    If they ever do replace them, can you imagine the millions that Duke would make selling the old ones?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

just a coat of paint.
    1200. DDMF.

I noted the last time I sat there that my seat was snug, and at 175 lbs I'm hardly large...saw some other folks definitely have to insert themselves.