Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    There are a few that are cool as they pay tribute to their local heritage (ie Steelers, 49ers, the erstwhile Oilers) but mostly they are all just empty vessels that get filled and given meaning over time with performance. So best case is a "meh" name. Ravens were "meh" when announced, but they have built tradition and meaning over the years.
    The Ravens were named after Poe’s poem. I actually thought it was pretty smart.

The Washington “ Monuments”

Just because nothing can be simple and not related to politics these days, particularly in DC - Biden's new dog is named Commander. I'm sure that if that name is chosen for the team, Tucker Carlson will have some kind of conspiracy theory about Biden having insider information on the team name and front-running it and then Hunter will get looped in and chaos will ensue.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/command...g-white-house/

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I really think they are missing out on a singular opportunity. Keep the WFT name. It's unique. It speaks to the history of the mascot without saying it outloud. It doesn't hide from anything.

You can be an outlier in sports - we are the football team that plays in DC and you know who we are.

The only reason I can imagine not doing this is I suppose it limits some marketing opportunities.
    I agree WFT is a cool name and “commanders” is lame. They could even borrow from Ohio State and be THE Washington Football Team

Just name 'em the DCs. Then get any of the designers of those lovable Olympic mascots to do the logo and Bob's your uncle!

https://scoutlife.org/features/4560/...ugh-the-years/
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

WFT

I grew up in the area. I cried myself to sleep during Super Bowl 7, as a four year old, and missed Garo Yeppremian's blocked field goal . I still don't know if Mike Bass or Brig Owens was the player that returned it for the TD. If Miami made that field goal, the score would have been 17-0, just like their W-L record.

So FWIW, I have a suggestion, based on the river. Washington Potomacs. This was the name of a village on the river, not a tribe, and maybe it would commemorate a lost heritage without being an epithet. It would connect the region, as the drainage basin outlines the region of fan interest.

Or, we could use the Algonquin name of of the river above Great Falls , Cohongarooton, meaning "honking geese". No, let's stick with Potomacs

I could go with the spear as the logo, but would prefer non-native imagery.
    Last edited by FUBARDoorBuster; 01-28-2022 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Addition

Quote Originally Posted by FUBARDoorBuster View Post
    I grew up in the area. I cried myself to sleep during Super Bowl 7, as a four year old, and missed Garo Yeppremian's blocked field goal . I still don't know if Mike Bass or Brig Owens was the player that returned it for the TD. If Miami made that field goal, the score would have been 17-0, just like their W-L record.

So FWIW, I have a suggestion, based on the river. Washington Potomacs. This was the name of a village on the river, not a tribe, and maybe it would commemorate a lost heritage without being an epithet. It would connect the region, as the drainage basin outlines the region of fan interest.

Or, we could use the Algonquin name of of the river above Great Falls , Cohongarooton, meaning "honking geese". No, let's stick with Potomacs

I could go with the spear as the logo, but would prefer non-native imagery.
    Cowboys fan here (born and raised in Texas). I'm all in for Cohongarooton but is there an Algonquin name for, "Drunk Belligerent Honking Geese"?

Mid-Atlantic vibes

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Cowboys fan here (born and raised in Texas). I'm all in for Cohongarooton but is there an Algonquin name for, "Drunk Belligerent Honking Geese"?
    I think it is a synonym.
    Although enemies, I always respected Drew Pearson, Roger Staubach, Calvin Hill- all the greats. My life was always the underdog at that time. Sonny vs Dandy Don, Kilmer vs Staubach, Orioles vs Yankees, Duke vs UNCHeats- Gene Banks vs Phil Ford

Also, a TikTok creator, Lavertthebassman, suggests that we misunderstand the history of the ranch in the 1800's. He states that the Anglos working the ranches at that time were called Cowhands, but the large component of African Americans doing the same work were called by the derogatory phrase, Cowboys. Worth a thought. Fits the narrative

Cowboys fan here (born and raised in Texas).blah blah
    Hope everyone else did what I did and stopped reading after I read "UNC fan here"...I mean "Cowboys fan here" (same thing). Just remember that single star is a rating not a symbol.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBARDoorBuster View Post
    I think it is a synonym.
    Although enemies, I always respected Drew Pearson, Roger Staubach, Calvin Hill- all the greats. My life was always the underdog at that time. Sonny vs Dandy Don, Kilmer vs Staubach, Orioles vs Yankees, Duke vs UNCHeats- Gene Banks vs Phil Ford

Also, a TikTok creator, Lavertthebassman, suggests that we misunderstand the history of the ranch in the 1800's. He states that the Anglos working the ranches at that time were called Cowhands, but the large component of African Americans doing the same work were called by the derogatory phrase, Cowboys. Worth a thought. Fits the narrative
    I grew up in the DFW area during the lamentable 80s and dominant 90s Neither team has had much to brag about for a few decades now...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Hope everyone else did what I did and stopped reading after I read "UNC fan here"...I mean "Cowboys fan here" (same thing). Just remember that single star is a rating not a symbol.
    You know, I live in the Philly area now and there is a visible prickly-ness that sets in when I mention my Cowboys fandom. It only abates somewhat when I let them know I was born and raised in Texas. Lots of bandwagon fans all over the country that makes sense for the 90s but seems silly now with our recent futility and late-game meltdowns.

Interestingly, my wife briefly served as Dan Snyder's 3rd executive assistant during the 2nd Joe Gibbs era. She hated it but now all her old friends are reaching out to ask her if she's one of the whistle blowers (she was not and did not experience any harassment while she was there). She's been on Snyder's personal jet, in his house, etc though.

I grew up in the DFW area during the lamentable 80s and dominant 90s Neither team has had much to brag about for a few decades now...

You know, I live in the Philly area now and there is a visible prickly-ness that sets in when I mention my Cowboys fandom. It only abates somewhat when I let them know I was born and raised in Texas. Lots of bandwagon fans all over the country that makes sense for the 90s but seems silly now with our recent futility and late-game meltdowns.

Interestingly, my wife briefly served as Dan Snyder's 3rd executive assistant during the 2nd Joe Gibbs era. She hated it but now all her old friends are reaching out to ask her if she's one of the whistle blowers (she was not and did not experience any harassment while she was there). She's been on Snyder's personal jet, in his house, etc though.
    All kidding aside, you being from DFW means...you're not really the Cowboy fan I don't care for. It' the bandwagon fans that just seemed to really show up over the years (including my own brother who's never even set foot in Texas).

Like most WFT fans, I'm not a fan of Dan Snyder. Even before all the harassment issues came to light I didn't like him for simple reasons: losing teams, a poorly run organization, making football decisions when he shouldn't, worst game day experience in the NFL, mishandling the rebranding, etc. The harassment issues for me were just "of course he did" sort of thing...I just wasn't surprised.

At this point I'm just looking forward to the name being announced so it'll be over...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Apparently I must spread some comments around, blah, blah, blah.

Will some other sane, rational, Cowboys-hating person please spork thus gentleman for me?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    One franchise great talked about a potential name on Monday as if it was a done deal. Joe Theismann discussed the topic in an interview with CBS Sports Radio.

"I think the Commanders is a name that is gonna be hopefully one people talk about moving forward," Theismann said. "There were so many different options. Once again, it's trademark infringement. It's getting approval from different people. If you choose a name, is there a group out there that isn't gonna like it? There's so many things you have to consider."
    Way to go, Joe.
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/did-joe...024950839.html

They obviously have to go with Commanders because Chiefs was already taken.
    Wait...whut?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Way to go, Joe.
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/did-joe...024950839.html

They obviously have to go with Commanders because Chiefs was already taken.
    Wait...whut?
    I mean, Theismann did play all those years for the [Redacted, wildly racist embarrassment of a nickname], but that's been over 35 years ago.
    I'm not sure he really has a leg to stand on here.

...I'll see myself out.

Speaking of the Cowboys, does anyone know why they picked those colors? Blue and silver don’t scream cowboy to me. Maybe space cowboys?

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Speaking of the Cowboys, does anyone know why they picked those colors? Blue and silver don’t scream cowboy to me. Maybe space cowboys?
    When I say space, you say pants.

Because puke blue was already spoken for.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Visionaries!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It is indeed Commanders.

Snyder screws it up again