Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grills

Grills

I've had a built-in natural gas grill for decades, and we're moving and the grill has to stay. I don't want to invest in another built-in, and was looking at various types/makes of grills out there. I also know that a really inexpensive grill is made out of metal that is only likely to last a few years. I use the grill at least a couple of times a week, and am not deterred by it being cold or rainy.

I'm used to gas, and have a propane tank, and am inclined to stay with that. Even within the realm of propane tank grills, the price differences are huge. Can anyone recommend any particular brand/model?

Also, I am not a fan of bells and whistles I'm probably not going to use. Are those price differences because of the bells and whistles, or other factors?

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I've had a built-in natural gas grill for decades, and we're moving and the grill has to stay. I don't want to invest in another built-in, and was looking at various types/makes of grills out there. I also know that a really inexpensive grill is made out of metal that is only likely to last a few years. I use the grill at least a couple of times a week, and am not deterred by it being cold or rainy.

I'm used to gas, and have a propane tank, and am inclined to stay with that. Even within the realm of propane tank grills, the price differences are huge. Can anyone recommend any particular brand/model?

Also, I am not a fan of bells and whistles I'm probably not going to use. Are those price differences because of the bells and whistles, or other factors?

Thanks everyone.
    I've been very happy with my Weber Genesis, but if you're not looking to spend the money, the Genesis Spirit series is also fine.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Thanks everyone.
    Hank Hill would be very disappointed, but I think charcoal is the way to go...

Thanks everyone.
    you'll get 1,000 different (good) opinions, but you can never go wrong with a Weber...I have a Genesis II with three burners, highly recommend it...annually top ranked by Consumer Reports and others...it doesn't have extravagant chrome or other non functional bells and whistles, but it has good even heat, and my first one (along with many other friends') lasted 20 years and is still going strong for the neighbor to whom I gave it. I also found it easy to smoke on it, very simple process...

Have also heard grill "experts" on the radio box, and many agree that the Weber is a great cost performer...Genesis II w/3 burners will set you back roughly $700, there are cheaper versions also available. Note, they are not really discounted, though from time to time you see some "special."

I think you can get them “not built in”, love my Broilmaster natural gas grill.

Haven’t pulled the trigger yet on a Traeger for smoking.

I'd submit that a well-built grill ought to last longer than a few years if it is maintained well and you have a good cover for it. If you are paying over $300, it an investment worth protecting.

I've cycled through many gas grills, smokers, and charcoal grills over the years. Currently using a Weber 22" charcoal I bought at the beginning of the summer. Been very pleased.

I've seen this question asked multiple times in various places. The responses here are in line with every other thread I've seen (literally for years): Weber is the preferred brand.

Echoing Weber. I've owned a number of their products of various types over the years and never been displeased, and they last forever.

Ditto. Learned to love Weber when I needed to repair an old kettle grill and found their website had a "refurbish kit" with the very parts I needed for a very reasonable price. In other words they know their products and support them -- for many years. After going through a couple of cheapo gas grills from Lowe's, a neighbor was junking a smaller old Genesis gas grill because the innards had rusted. For under $100 it's now our weekly driver and I suspect it will be for many years.

I'm about 8 years into my second Weber Genesis. The first lasted about 12 years. I don't do anything special to protect it. I did replace the hose with one that has a spring around it after the squirrels chewed through the original one - this happened with both grills. I've replaced the flavor bars under the grill. I hit it (just the outside) with the pressure washer this spring.

The gas supplier told me my tanks are too old now, though, and need replacing.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I've been very happy with my Weber Genesis, but if you're not looking to spend the money, the Genesis Spirit series is also fine.
    We have a Genesis Spirit that gets used two or three times a week - sometimes in colder weather than I'd prefer

We've been really happy with it.

Just go for it and splurge on a Big Green Egg. I’ve had mine 10 years now and every meal that comes off it is delicious.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Just go for it and splurge on a Big Green Egg. I’ve had mine 10 years now and every meal that comes off it is delicious.
    I’m a BGE fan. There are also cheaper ceramic cookers. Very versatile for hot and quick or toasty and longer.

Would like to get a bigger barrel smoker too, but the inability to have large gatherings has put that on hold for now. Smoked an 18 lb. pork shoulder recently, the freezer is plenty full and trading bbq for other treats.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    We have a Genesis Spirit that gets used two or three times a week - sometimes in colder weather than I'd prefer

We've been really happy with it.
    The only thing I've had to replace on various Webers (over 20+ years) are the so-called flavor bars...they tend to rust after five or more years, depending upon your location, conditions, etc..not expensive, available from Weber (another good consideration when buying a grill, robust parts availability from Weber, just in case...)

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The only thing I've had to replace on various Webers (over 20+ years) are the so-called flavor bars...they tend to rust after five or more years, depending upon your location, conditions, etc..not expensive, available from Weber (another good consideration when buying a grill, robust parts availability from Weber, just in case...)
    Flavor bars have a pretty short life span in my experience

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’m a BGE fan. There are also cheaper ceramic cookers. Very versatile for hot and quick or toasty and longer.

Would like to get a bigger barrel smoker too, but the inability to have large gatherings has put that on hold for now. Smoked an 18 lb. pork shoulder recently, the freezer is plenty full and trading bbq for other treats.
    If you were new to smoking, would you choose Big Green Egg or Traeger?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Flavor bars have a pretty short life span in my experience
    planned obsolescence I suspect...though the rest of the grill is very durable...never replaced anything else on my 20 year old Weber, no burners, nothing..(oops, did replace the grill surface once)

If you are thinking about the Big Green Egg at all, prolly worth it to compare Kamado Joe and decide which is better. BGE is more well known, but some people say the KJ is better.

For a propane grill, I would agree with Weber.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    If you were new to smoking, would you choose Big Green Egg or Traeger?
    How much meat are you looking to smoke at a time? A large BGE can do 12-15 lbs comfortably and I’ve crammed a 20-pointer in there. If you want to do something bigger, or more, you may want a Traegger.

BGEs (and Komodo Joe cookers) are pretty versatile too.

CB&B may have better info. I have hobbied in smoking for 6 or 7 years, but he (and likely others here) are true pitmasters.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    CB&B may have better info. I have hobbied in smoking for 6 or 7 years, but he (and likely others here) are true pitmasters.
    I've stayed out of this because the OP said he wanted a gas grill...and I don't do propane. (Except for my largest grill, but it is a $2000 grill that I got for free at the dump, so I don't complain. However, I still convert it to a hybrid charcoal grill when cooking.)

There are things I like about the BGE, but more that I don't like. I don't like the portability issues, which is essentially that because it is so heavy, it isn't really portable. And while they have different sizes, to cook a big cut of meat you need the biggest and most expensive. But if you want to cook multiple cuts on it? Not happening.
    The largest grill space available is 672 sq inches. Meh.

My "small" go to grill has 816 sq inches, and what I love about it is that it is dual chambered. I can do offset smoking AND grilling at the same time. It is a Dyna-Glo X-Large Premium Dual Chamber Charcoal Grill. https://dynaglogrill.com/product/x-l...l-dgn576snc-d/
    I use this grill at least a couple of times per week. I even bake on it, making burritos, lasagna, etc.

I also have a Chargriller Pro barrel smoker, which has 830 square inches of grilling space. It is a great smoker for the price, but the big drawback is that cleaning out the ash pan in the main barrel is a pain. https://www.chargriller.com/products/smokin-pro-e1224

And then my last grill is my little R2-D2 stand up smoker. The Brinkmann Smoke'N Grill is cheap, easy to set up, easy to use, and perfect for smoking smaller things such as couple chickens, a butt or two, or like I'm doing today, my brisket flat. What I like about it is that I can stick it in the shed when I'm done. None of my other grills are small enough to make that happen. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brinkmann...-Smoker/876295

As others have said, you can't go wrong with a Weber, either. I'm just not much of a fan of the kettle design, and since I don't do propane, it's the only experience I have with those.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."