Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grills

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Flavor bars have a pretty short life span in my experience
    Yep, I'm thinking I have to replace the bars in ours every three years or so. But the grill is used about twice a week pretty much from March until however long I can stand it in November or December. And paying $35 to $45 for five or six pieces of bent sheet steel seems like a rip off. But we're happy with the results, so the next time we need one, we'll likely get the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    How much meat are you looking to smoke at a time? A large BGE can do 12-15 lbs comfortably and I’ve crammed a 20-pointer in there. If you want to do something bigger, or more, you may want a Traegger.

BGEs (and Komodo Joe cookers) are pretty versatile too.

CB&B may have better info. I have hobbied in smoking for 6 or 7 years, but he (and likely others here) are true pitmasters.
    I’m less concerned about mass quantities, and more about ease of use - think hobbyist versus pro. Initial scope would be food for 4-12 people, with the 8-12 being less frequent than for four.

The Traeger appeals as there is a lot of research on pellet smokers being easy to use and with good results.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I’m less concerned about mass quantities, and more about ease of use - think hobbyist versus pro. Initial scope would be food for 4-12 people, with the 8-12 being less frequent than for four.

The Traeger appeals as there is a lot of research on pellet smokers being easy to use and with good results.
    That's one of the reasons I love my Dynaglo with the dual chambers. Almost always I am cooking for only two, perhaps with leftovers in mind. So on it, I can cook a whole dinner at once, with smoked chicken on one side and grilled veggies (needing higher heat) on the other. I can do everything that I need to at one time; it's way more efficient than having to cook something and pull it off while I cook another part of the dinner.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That's one of the reasons I love my Dynaglo with the dual chambers. Almost always I am cooking for only two, perhaps with leftovers in mind. So on it, I can cook a whole dinner at once, with smoked chicken on one side and grilled veggies (needing higher heat) on the other. I can do everything that I need to at one time; it's way more efficient than having to cook something and pull it off while I cook another part of the dinner.
    I assume that uses lump charcoal and not briquettes, right?

The BGE is versatile, but CB&B lists some of the drawbacks. I has a “large” BGE and I doubt I could get a dozen burger patties on the surface at the same time. But I could smoke a brisket packer cut, a pork shoulder, or two a Boston Butts that would feed a dozen people with plenty of leftovers and to-go packs.

I am intrigued by the Dynaglo but have no experience with it. Or a Traegger, or pellets. I like the BGE because I can do what I need, whether a slow smoke for hours at 235 or a high Pittsburgh rare steak at 600, and it is easy to clean and regulate. And I am a huge believer in lump charcoal (NOT briquettes) and smoking chunks (not chips). But everything in life is a trade-off, and CB&B’s posts are spot on too.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I assume that uses lump charcoal and not briquettes, right?
    Depends on what I am cooking. I mostly use briquettes. I only use lump if I need something to get really, really hot, like searing a steak. (And of course I use wood chunks or logs, too. Chips don't work in my grills.)

TNTdevil, my tailgating partner, also got a dynaglo and as far as I know really enjoys it as well. The difference between us is that he actually keeps his clean. Ha!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Depends on what I am cooking. I mostly use briquettes. I only use lump if I need something to get really, really hot, like searing a steak. (And of course I use wood chunks or logs, too. Chips don't work in my grills.)
    Interesting, thanks. Something in the taste of briquette smoke hits me wrong, but it could be my inability to use them correctly.

Fortuitous timing, 30 pounds of Ozark Premium Oak lumps were delivered last night. I dig that stuff.

Interesting, thanks. Something in the taste of briquette smoke hits me wrong, but it could be my inability to use them correctly.

Fortuitous timing, 30 pounds of Ozark Premium Oak lumps were delivered last night. I dig that stuff.
    Nothing you are doing wrong. They do have binders in them, and that has to affect something. My girlfriend asked if we could use the ashes in our compost, and that sounded like a good idea. Turns out that it is only a good idea if you stick to natural lump charcoal or wood. If you use briquette ash, it can be less beneficial for the garden.
    Which as I'm typing that makes me wonder about how healthy it is for my meat, ha! I may have to revisit my thinking. ;p

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Just go for it and splurge on a Big Green Egg. I’ve had mine 10 years now and every meal that comes off it is delicious.
    We had a Big Green Egg for years, and loved it, but we recently replaced it with a similar grill that we like a little more.

Here's a link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gri...6720/301919839

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    We had a Big Green Egg for years, and loved it, but we recently replaced it with a similar grill that we like a little more.

That one wins solely on color. (PS, as I noted above, one of my smokers is a Char-Griller brand, and I've had a couple. Good stuff.)

That one wins solely on color. (PS, as I noted above, one of my smokers is a Char-Griller brand, and I've had a couple. Good stuff.)
    No one beats yours for looks, though!
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 07-18-2020 at 03:09 PM.

No one beats yours for looks, though!
    Ha! They have evolved over time.
    The big one in these pics is "Blue Smoke", which is Tim's (TNTdevil) 15 ton grill that we use for tailgates. (Feels like 15 tons pushing under the trees after a rainy night anyway.) I've given it two paint jobs, the white flames being the first one. The "small" grill is the one I lucked out and got from the dump as it was being dropped off by an elderly couple. It only needed a new regulator to get it up and running, so I smoked a couple butts on it the next day...and painted it that week. No cats were cooked.

BlueSmoke3.jpg

IMG-4901.jpg

LilBlue.jpg

When I returned to the States from Japan in 2010, I bought a Brinkmann with an offset smoke box very similar to the one linked below (mine was purchased at Lowe’s).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinkman...15-S/204442310

It has been a great grill but is in need of replacement after 10 years so I have my eye on this Oklahoma Joe’s:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oklahoma-Jo...moker/50329703

I’m a charcoal guy.
    Bob Green

Yep

Thanks for pointing that out! It is a lovely shade of blue.

Thanks everybody

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Looks like I'll go Weber.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post

This is the model I have. I bought heat-resistant caulk to better seal the vent (as a YouTube video suggested), and bought some food-compatible bricks for smoking (YouTube suggested pizza stones, but after breaking two of those, I realized I needed something more robust). It's been able to do everything I've needed. I've had it for 3-4 years now, and I have a family of six. I can definitely see the appeal of CB&B's dual-zone capability, but if we need that, well, we do have a regular range inside...

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I can definitely see the appeal of CB&B's dual-zone capability, but if we need that, well, we do have a regular range inside...
    On days like today when it is 137 degrees out, my girlfriend gives me dirty looks if she thinks I am even pondering turning the oven/stovetop on.

Here’s our Webber Spirit
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

More thanks

Thanks again, everyone. Went with a Weber Spirit, have used it each of the last two nights, both very successful. I'll be grilling for awhile, because after moving in, we had a glitch that prevented the installation of my gas stove.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Thanks again, everyone. Went with a Weber Spirit, have used it each of the last two nights, both very successful. I'll be grilling for awhile, because after moving in, we had a glitch that prevented the installation of my gas stove.
    Grills are great pandemic, end of the world accoutrements...always good to have a spare tank of propane around...

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Thanks for circling back and telling us what you went with. My next grill will be a Weber. Last time I needed a grill I was kinda broke and bought an inexpensive grill. It's OK but I wish I'd have just sucked it up and bought a Weber.