Shower Heads & Other Small Things

Small quotidian victories are great.

Today I "solved" pernicious leaking from the garden spigots by installing a couple of thick rubber washers in the ends of the garden hoses that connect them. Last week I didn't know these beauties even existed. Took about $5 to Amazon and < 30 seconds to install. Viola! No leaks at all. Small things can be good things.

Since I am clearly on a roll, I am thinking it is time to get a decent shower head that does as much as possible to maintain the maximum amount of water pressure. I do not care about massage settings or fancy aesthetic or the ability to put the head on the end of a long flex hose. Nor am I opposed to those things if the shower head has a normalish setting that reduces the water pressure as little as possible. I am ok with removing the flow restrictor should that be necessary. Anybody here really pleased with their shower head?

Anyone else have a small meaningless success that gets rid of a persistent but only slightly irritating problem? If so, lemmeno. I'm looking to extend my streak. Maybe someone else is too.

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post

Today I "solved" pernicious leaking from the garden spigots by installing a couple of thick rubber washers in the ends of the garden hoses that connect them. Last week I didn't know these beauties even existed. Took about $5 to Amazon and < 30 seconds to install. Viola! No leaks at all. Small things can be good things.

Since I am clearly on a roll, I am thinking it is time to get a decent shower head that does as much as possible to maintain the maximum amount of water pressure. I do not care about massage settings or fancy aesthetic or the ability to put the head on the end of a long flex hose. Nor am I opposed to those things if the shower head has a normalish setting that reduces the water pressure as little as possible. I am ok with removing the flow restrictor should that be necessary. Anybody here really pleased with their shower head?

Anyone else have a small meaningless success that gets rid of a persistent but only slightly irritating problem? If so, lemmeno. I'm looking to extend my streak. Maybe someone else is too.
    We are huge fans of Speakman shower heads. I think there is a price premium but it is well worth it. Even their basic model is notably better than the standard shower head - I believe we have a dual shower head which is really great. I am usually not picky about such things but I am currently staying with a family member who has a basic non-Speakman shower head and I definitely notice the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post

One of the joys I have of visiting my dad is that his guest bathroom has a shower/tub valve installed in the 1960's that has full on water pressure. The valve is what limits the pressure more than the shower head.

My plumbing task of the day today is to replace my pressure reducing valve. My city water pressure is well over 100 psi as it pegs the gauge. PRV is no longer keeping that out. Great for washing down the boat, not so great for my faucets and toilets.

https://www.amazon.com/Inch-High-Pre...rkle_td_asin_0

Nothing fancy but I replaced mine with this last year and it makes a big difference in pressure.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

I go with a very simple solution, Qualihome brand. Its rated at about 1.8 gal/min and has a good steong spray. Delta makes similar ones. In my experience it doesn’t have a true shutoff, but when closed it slows to a dribble.

Water Saving Shower head with Push Button Flow Control and Shut Off, Chrome Plated Brass https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HW5AIY8..._rYreFbW09DBKQ

Psst...Want to buy a Real shower head?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMITcQUe-9M

I replaced a couple of older shower heads with the Delta H2Okinetic. It's not fancy but provides pretty good pressure.

How about the Delta 58473-SS? It looks like it has 4 Ethernet and 6 Printer ports.

Delta-showerhead-58473-SS.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    How about the Delta 58473-SS? It looks like it has 4 Ethernet and 6 Printer ports.

Would it be possible to hook up a beer tap to one of those ports? Shower beer!!

(sorry)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

Oh, I wish I had a picture. When I worked in Brazil back in the 80's, I stayed with a family that lived in a typical middle class apartment complex. Hot water heaters were typically something that people did not have. I was shocked (sorry ) the first time I got in the shower and noticed an appliance that looked a whole lot like a toaster attached to the shower nozzle. Water was heated instantly at the nozzle - by that really strange looking contraption.

I'm guessing this is not something you'd be able to find by searching on Amazon.

Great Seinfeld clip! I'd forgotten all about that one.

I ordered 1 of each of the shower heads (except for the Delta - if I keep buying shower heads they may cancel my credit card) and will report results. If they don't work I'll take BigWayne's advice and start analyzing the valve.

Thanks to yall, Ive been seeing shower head ads on Facebook this week. Sheesh!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Thanks to yall, Ive been seeing shower head ads on Facebook this week. Sheesh!
    You're welcome.

Let's make the next topic copper colored cookware.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    Oh, I wish I had a picture. When I worked in Brazil back in the 80's, I stayed with a family that lived in a typical middle class apartment complex. Hot water heaters were typically something that people did not have. I was shocked (sorry ) the first time I got in the shower and noticed an appliance that looked a whole lot like a toaster attached to the shower nozzle. Water was heated instantly at the nozzle - by that really strange looking contraption.

I'm guessing this is not something you'd be able to find by searching on Amazon.
    Holy Crap, I was wrong. They actually do sell these things in the US now - not surprisingly, they're referred to as "suicide showers".
    This current model looks much nicer than the ones I saw. Which did in fact look a lot like a small toaster. The video below points out these still are common in Latin America.

Shower1.JPG

Wouldn't you love to see the label below staring at you when you turn the water on?

Shower2.JPG

If you're curious, this link goes to a You Tube video that will help you install one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo99U3nVCnA