Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I think there are also some minor league stadiums that could be on the list. If including old stadiums, the DAP would have to be high on the list.
    we LOVED that place...many great memories back in Single A days, watching a team (the Triangles) that didn't even have a major league affiliate (they got players from various organizations)...

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Glad to see hayward field make the list. one of my biggest regrets will have been not getting there for a meet before they gave it the soldier field treatment the past couple years. Monza would be another notable omission.
    https://www.lifeinitaly.com/lifestyle/italian-cars/monza-the-cathedral-of-speed/

Yeah, Monza should be on the list, without question.

What do you mean by Hayward Field getting the “Soldier Field treatment”?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    we LOVED that place...many great memories back in Single A days, watching a team (the Triangles) that didn't even have a major league affiliate (they got players from various organizations)...
    Attended a college game there a couple of seasons ago (it's NC Central's home field) and of course it's not as well maintained as before. (Field is fine for the players, the stands not so much.) But I think it's only "classic" due to the movie. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's good. The Bulls needed to move, and fortunately they chose the right design firm.

I had the same feelings on my first trip to Wrigley back in '93. It was basically a dump. Worse than Shea Stadium was (at the time.) However, going to a game a few years ago, the renovations/upkeep moved it up on my list. Visiting Fenway in 1980, it was fine, but I understand they've basically rebuilt that one, too, which helps a great deal. (Cameron is similar in that regard in terms of finally maintaining it properly. It never was as bad as Reynolds or Cole Field House, but it was showing some wear in the late '70s/early '80s.)

I'd have to separate "new" and "old" from this list, since the new venues really blow the old ones away with comfort/amenities. As somebody up-thread said, the new Mercedes-Benz Dome in Atlanta is hard to beat (I haven't been to JerryWorld yet, and I'm sure the new LA and LV NFL stadiums will be up there as well.) Barclay Center in Brooklyn's high on the list for new arenas. Camden Yards is still at the top of the new baseball list (although the Giants and Cardinals parks are both very good.) Unless the current renovations make vast improvements, I wouldn't put Dodger Stadium on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    No SEC football venues on the list. I've never been to one, but the optics on tv are amazing.
    I'd think being in Bryant-Denny Stadium for a game vs Auburn, Georgia, LSU, etc would be insane.
    I thought about, having gone to many Georgia games, and games at TN and AL. Great events, but to me more about the whole experience than the actual venues.

No mention of 'The Pit,' where the University of New Mexico plays its basketball games? Great venue.

I think there are also some minor league stadiums that could be on the list. If including old stadiums, the DAP would have to be high on the list.
    Yay! Then I'd have two on the list! Nothing compares to the night Dynamite Donna and her grandad blew themselves up!

Edit: Max Patkin was pretty cool, too!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh no, not Petway! View Post
    I thought about, having gone to many Georgia games, and games at TN and AL. Great events, but to me more about the whole experience than the actual venues.
    Can you have one without the other? I think it's fair to say that if it hadn't been a bunch of WAPO folks writing the story, RFK would be off the list. (I've never been to a sports game there, but more than a few concerts, and never came away from a concert thinking it was the best place ever to see a show...but the shows themselves were the best ever.)

If Cameron weren't packed to the gills with Dukies and Crazies, one might come away thinking that it was an incredibly uncomfortable place to have to sit through a game for. The event itself is what makes the place special.
    The tennis stadiums are good examples, too. I've been in Arthur Ashe for third round matches, and that place is electric! Never walked away thinking it was beautiful, though. I've also been in the All England Club when nothing was going on. You can press a button and hear stadium noise over loudspeakers, but without the actual match being played, meh.

I think that's why the Hartford Civic Center is there too. I'd never been for a game, but I've been in it, and it was a dump. I'm sure for a Whalers game it was incredible, though.

So for all that being said, I'm surprised an SEC stadium...'Bama, LSU, Georgia, etc isn't on the list. Of course, it's not like the WAPO had a wide ranging voting pool to make their choices.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Attended a college game there a couple of seasons ago (it's NC Central's home field) and of course it's not as well maintained as before. (Field is fine for the players, the stands not so much.) But I think it's only "classic" due to the movie. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's good. The Bulls needed to move, and fortunately they chose the right design firm.

I had the same feelings on my first trip to Wrigley back in '93. It was basically a dump. Worse than Shea Stadium was (at the time.) However, going to a game a few years ago, the renovations/upkeep moved it up on my list. Visiting Fenway in 1980, it was fine, but I understand they've basically rebuilt that one, too, which helps a great deal. (Cameron is similar in that regard in terms of finally maintaining it properly. It never was as bad as Reynolds or Cole Field House, but it was showing some wear in the late '70s/early '80s.)

I'd have to separate "new" and "old" from this list, since the new venues really blow the old ones away with comfort/amenities. As somebody up-thread said, the new Mercedes-Benz Dome in Atlanta is hard to beat (I haven't been to JerryWorld yet, and I'm sure the new LA and LV NFL stadiums will be up there as well.) Barclay Center in Brooklyn's high on the list for new arenas. Camden Yards is still at the top of the new baseball list (although the Giants and Cardinals parks are both very good.) Unless the current renovations make vast improvements, I wouldn't put Dodger Stadium on the list.
    Part of the attraction of the old stadiums is knowing how much history has taken place there. I love the classic old baseball stadiums (basically just Fenway and Wrigley). I think there are a lot of improvements that they made at the new Yankee Stadium, but I would take the old one back in a heartbeat.

Not sure if you have been there but Barclays Center is very average. I have been fortunate to sit downstairs the few times I have been (including the Duke-Carolina ACC tournament game a few years ago), but I have heard that the sight lines upstairs are bad - this was especially a problem for hockey which is a small part of why the Islanders are already leaving. I greatly prefer the renovated MSG to Barclays.

Cotton Bowl, though that’s entirely related to OU/Texas, played in the midst of the Texas State Fair, complete with livestock, Big Tex, and fried sticks of butter. And it’s one of the only rivalries in which the fans split exactly 50:50.

No SEC football venues on the list. I've never been to one, but the optics on tv are amazing.
    I'd think being in Bryant-Denny Stadium for a game vs Auburn, Georgia, LSU, etc would be insane.
    I’ve been to Bryant-Denny (Alabama), UGA, Death Valley (Clemson), Notre Dame, and Doak-Campbell (FSU) — all far better than RFK IM_O.

Old Yankee Stadium too. If you want history.

Have never been to LSU for a night game — that is on the bucket list.

Can you have one without the other? I think it's fair to say that if it hadn't been a bunch of WAPO folks writing the story, RFK would be off the list. (I've never been to a sports game there, but more than a few concerts, and never came away from a concert thinking it was the best place ever to see a show...but the shows themselves were the best ever.)
    Good point. Maybe SEC football, and Clemson too, need their own category. The actual games are a fraction of the whole experience.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’ve been to Bryant-Denny (Alabama), UGA, Death Valley (Clemson), Notre Dame, and Doak-Campbell (FSU) — all far better than RFK IM_O.

Old Yankee Stadium too. If you want history.

Have never been to LSU for a night game — that is on the bucket list.
    I was at old Yankee Stadium for Game 1 of the 1999 ALCS, when Bernie Williams hit a walkoff dinger against the Red Sox. That’s the only sports experience I have had that rivaled Cameron.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Not sure if you have been there but Barclays Center is very average. I have been fortunate to sit downstairs the few times I have been (including the Duke-Carolina ACC tournament game a few years ago), but I have heard that the sight lines upstairs are bad - this was especially a problem for hockey which is a small part of why the Islanders are already leaving. I greatly prefer the renovated MSG to Barclays.
    Yes, only downstairs, and close to the floor (in the corner) for the two Nov. tournament games either the first or second year it was open. Thought the surrounding concourse was pretty decent (other than the food prices! Although I think better than MSG.)

Not sure I like any of the new arenas that much. I'm thinking of the current NBA ones, I've seen the two gardens (MSG and the TD one in Boston), Barclays, whatever phone company's name it is now in DC, whatever cable company in Charlotte and whatever bank in Philly. OK if you have lower level seating, terrible with the mile-high upper decks.

A different thread, if somebody really wants to start it again, would be who's watched Duke BBall play in the most arenas. Nobody that I know topped Elizabeth's list of 64. (-jk was closest back in '07, since he drove her to many of them.)

Happy Valley at Penn State is a great venue, esp. for a White Out game.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0

I've been to the grocery store in Maple Leaf Gardens.

For my money, Notre Dame is better than any of the SEC stadia.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post

Their basketball court or their football field? I'm guessing folks in Rupp would disagree with you.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post

80,795 for Duke at Notre Dame, September 24, 2016 -- 38-35 for Duke -- one of the best experiences of my sports life. Notre Dame fans couldn't have been nicer, before AND after the game.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    80,795 for Duke at Notre Dame, September 24, 2016 -- 38-35 for Duke -- one of the best experiences of my sports life. Notre Dame fans couldn't have been nicer, before AND after the game.
    They got a little annoyed with my “Eat Me” cake costume, but otherwise the nicest opposing fans I have ever met.

And what a glorious fall afternoon . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    https://www.lifeinitaly.com/lifestyle/italian-cars/monza-the-cathedral-of-speed/

Yeah, Monza should be on the list, without question.

What do you mean by Hayward Field getting the “Soldier Field treatment”?

I believe he is referring to the recently completed massive renovation of Hayward Field, increasing seating capacity from 10,000 to 25,000. A very modern design in contrast to the old iconic Pacific Northwest stadium look. This will enable Track Town USA to host major meets such as the World Championships and better accommodate future Olympic Trials, NCAA Championships, etc. There was a quite a bit of controversy with the design choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jb75 View Post
    [/B]

I believe he is referring to the recently completed massive renovation of Hayward Field, increasing seating capacity from 10,000 to 25,000. A very modern design in contrast to the old iconic Pacific Northwest stadium look. This will enable Track Town USA to host major meets such as the World Championships and better accommodate future Olympic Trials, NCAA Championships, etc. There was a quite a bit of controversy with the design choice.
    that's exactly what i mean. It might be the same stadium in name...but it's not what it was in my eyes. It lost the intimate feel.
    April 1