Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Best Sports Venues

The Washington Post asked their sportswriters, columnists and editors to share their favorite sports venues, past and present, as a reminder of what they were like when they were full and loud. (It may be pay-walled; try here.)

Here's the list:

All England Club
    Arthur Ashe Stadium
    Cameron Indoor Stadium
    Carrier Dome
    Churchill Downs
    Estadio Azteca
    Fenway Park
    Franklin Field
    Hartford Civic Center
    Hayward Field
    Husky Stadium
    Michigan Stadium
    Oracle Park
    Oriole Park at Camden Yards
    Pebble Beach Golf Links
    RFK Stadium
    Rose Bowl
    Tiger Stadium
    Morgan and Kathy Wootten Gym
    Wrigley Field

I've been to three (Cameron, Carrier Dome, and Oriole Park). I'm a little surprised neither the Palestra nor Hinkle made it - I'd certainly put either above the Carrier Dome!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    The Washington Post asked their sportswriters, columnists and editors to share their favorite sports venues, past and present, as a reminder of what they were like when they were full and loud. (It may be pay-walled; try here.)

Here's the list:

All England Club
    Arthur Ashe Stadium
    Cameron Indoor Stadium
    Carrier Dome
    Churchill Downs
    Estadio Azteca
    Fenway Park
    Franklin Field
    Hartford Civic Center
    Hayward Field
    Husky Stadium
    Michigan Stadium
    Oracle Park
    Pebble Beach Golf Links
    RFK Stadium
    Rose Bowl
    Tiger Stadium
    Wrigley Field

I've been to three (Cameron, Carrier Dome, and Oriole Park). I'm a little surprised neither the Palestra nor Hinkle made it - I'd certainly put either above the Carrier Dome!

-jk
    Must not have made it to the Augusta National.

I guess I’ve hit five:
    Cameron
    Pebble Beach
    Tiger Stadium
    Hartford CC
    RFK

The Hartford Civic Center? Seriously? Why?

A venue (past) that clearly belongs on that list is the Montreal Forum, former home of the once heroic Canadiens...that place was like a church for hockey fans, people dressed up to go there (at least down in the lower levels). Remarkable place.

p.s. I see the writer who nominated the Civic Center did so because, as a Nutmeg native, it was the closest place for him to see NHL hockey. That's pretty thin...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Must not have made it to the Augusta National.

I guess I’ve hit five:
    Cameron
    Pebble Beach
    Tiger Stadium
    Hartford CC
    RFK
    augusta and IMS are the two biggest exclusions in my mind. Glad to see hayward field make the list. one of my biggest regrets will have been not getting there for a meet before they gave it the soldier field treatment the past couple years. Monza would be another notable omission.

The whalers left when i was still relatively young, but it surprises me it's remembered so fondly. It's really a crappy stadium.
    April 1

-jk
    I have also been to three (Cameron, Carrier Dome, and Churchill Downs).
    Bob Green

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    I’ve been to eight.

Some are good choices, but the Carrier Dome? RFK Stadium, one of the worst of the ‘60s concrete donuts? Nope.

Mercedes-Benz in ATL is better than most of the stadiums named. That place is a palace.

Cameron Indoor
    Wrigley Field
    Fenway Park
    Oriole, Camden Yard
    Augusta National. ( even if it doesn't make the Washington Post, it is a BEST VENUE )

Many golf courses could make this list..

Here's the list:

All England Club
    Arthur Ashe Stadium
    Cameron Indoor Stadium
    Carrier Dome
    Churchill Downs
    Estadio Azteca
    Fenway Park
    Franklin Field
    Hartford Civic Center
    Hayward Field
    Husky Stadium
    Michigan Stadium
    Oracle Park
    Pebble Beach Golf Links
    RFK Stadium
    Rose Bowl
    Tiger Stadium
    Wrigley Field

-jk
    I have five:
    Cameron
    Arthur Ashe
    Carrier Dome
    Camden Yards
    Wrigley Field

There is however one of the five that really doesn't belong on the list
    IMHO the Carrier Dome is just a huge dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    I have five:
    Cameron
    Arthur Ashe
    Carrier Dome
    Camden Yards
    Wrigley Field

There is however one of the five that really doesn't belong on the list
    IMHO the Carrier Dome is just a huge dump.
    uhhh...do we have to start calling you "Cuomo Devil" now?
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    uhhh...do we have to start calling you "Cuomo Devil" now?
    No!

The wide stretch of the river from Haverstraw to Piermont is still the Tappan Zee, and, except on the official signs, the bridge is too.

Actually, the bridge should have become the "Pete Seeger Bridge".
    Pete did a huge amount of work on cleaning up the river - and, 30-some years ago, my son got rowed out to the Clearwater sitting on Pete's lap while he sang to that group of kids from his preschool.
    Last edited by Tappan Zee Devil; 07-12-2020 at 12:12 PM.

Here's the list:

All England Club
    Arthur Ashe Stadium
    Cameron Indoor Stadium
    Carrier Dome
    Churchill Downs
    Estadio Azteca
    Fenway Park
    Franklin Field
    Hartford Civic Center
    Hayward Field
    Husky Stadium
    Michigan Stadium
    Oracle Park
    Pebble Beach Golf Links
    RFK Stadium
    Rose Bowl
    Tiger Stadium
    Wrigley Field

-jk
    Cameron
    Churchill Downs - but not for the Kentucky Derby
    Franklin Field
    Oracle Park (how many names has that relatively new stadium had?) When I was last there, I saw the Bryce Harper-Hunter Strickland brawl.
    Oriole Park
    Pebble Beach - visited but did not play
    RFK
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    No!

The wide stretch of the river from Haverstraw to Piermont is still the Tappan Zee, and, except on the official signs, the bridge is too.

Actually, the bridge should have become the "Pete Seeger Bridge".
    Pete did a huge amount of work on cleaning up the river - and, 30-some years ago, my son got rowed out to the Clearwater sitting on Pete's lap while he sang to that group of kids from his preschool.
    Oh, trust me, I know. I was being tongue in cheek. I was up that way last week, so it was top of mind. Wikipedia even still calls it by its proper name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tappan...%80%93present)
    April 1

I’ve hit 8: Arthur Ashe, Cameron, Carrier, Fenway, Husky Stadium, Camden Yards, Rose Bowl and Wrigley. The only one I would question is the Carrier Dome. Just don’t see it.

The Palestra and Allen Fieldhouse have to be on the list. Also, if Husky Stadium is on the list, why not Folsom Field? Beautiful setting for football. Others I would make a case for are Augusta National and Dodger Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh no, not Petway! View Post
    I’ve hit 8: Arthur Ashe, Cameron, Carrier, Fenway, Husky Stadium, Camden Yards, Rose Bowl and Wrigley. The only one I would question is the Carrier Dome. Just don’t see it.

The Palestra and Allen Fieldhouse have to be on the list. Also, if Husky Stadium is on the list, why not Folsom Field? Beautiful setting for football. Others I would make a case for are Augusta National and Dodger Stadium.
    Great user name!

As for the National, I may be biased but — if someone can name a person who has been there and did not think it was one of the most over-the-top Experiences they have had, please me know. Because absent a single-shot to visit in a monsoon, I don’t think those folks really exist. (Like Tripping William, who I am convinced is a figment of dd’s imagination).

Most beautiful place you can imagine, cheapest (yet really high quality) concessions you will EVER see at a sporting event. Least-crowded major sports experience you can ever experience.

But I may be biased. Probably seen more events there than any other venue, Cameron included. And I did not miss many games as a student.

And a fun course to play, too — but that’s a different thread.

Great user name!

As for the National, I may be biased but — if someone can name a person who has been there and did not think it was one of the most over-the-top Experiences they have had, please me know. Because absent a single-shot to visit in a monsoon, I don’t think those folks really exist. (Like Tripp9ng a William, who I am convinced is a figment of dd’s imagination).

Most beautiful place you can imagine, cheapest (yet really high quality) concessions you will EVER see at a sporting event. Least-crowded major sports experience you can ever experience.

But I may be biased. Probably seen more events there than any other venue, Cameron included. And I did not miss many games as a student.
    I've been once. Tiger shot a 66. Incredible. I can't imagine what it was like last year on sunday when he won.
    April 1

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The Cameron review trips me out.
    "It’s the only venue I have ever sneaked into — skipping endless nights in the legendary tent city by wearing a Domino’s delivery uniform or going through the service entrance carrying a large bag of ice."
    When did he graduate?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I've been once. Tiger shot a 66. Incredible. I can't imagine what it was like last year on sunday when he won.
    If you hit it when the azaleas are at peak (harder to do these days), six/sixteen and thirteen are just incredible. But anytime, the roars from around the course are great. They don’t lay out courses like that anymore.

And it’s the only major that is always played at the same location. You can stand at the top of the hill on 15, and stand where Gene Sarazan hit a three-wood for double eagle. Or the memories at Amen’s Corner. Or 16. Or 17. Or 18.

Not to mention “the hidden front nine,” which was never even televised until recent years. The green on 3 is arguably the slickest on the course. Some incredible holes on that side, arguably the harder side. Jack Nicklaus said that if you hit down into the trees on the left of 2, there is a Delta ticket office down there — because you might as well just go ahead and buy a ticket to back home.

Back half is real risk/reward.

If you hit it when the azaleas are at peak (harder to do these days), six/sixteen and thirteen are just incredible. But anytime, the roars from around the course are great. They don’t lay out courses like that anymore.

And it’s the only major that is always played at the same location. You can stand at the top of the hill on 15, and stand where Gene Sarazan hit a three-wood for double eagle. Or the memories at Amen’s Corner. Or 16. Or 17. Or 18.

Not to mention “the hidden front nine,” which was never even televised until recent years. The green on 3 is arguably the slickest on the course. Some incredible holes on that side, arguably the harder side. Jack Nicklaus said that if you hit down into the trees on the left of 2, there is a Delta ticket office down there — because you might as well just go ahead and buy a ticket to back home.

Back half is real risk/reward.
    I'm sort of fascinated by the entire concept of a November Master's tournament.

augusta and IMS are the two biggest exclusions in my mind. Glad to see hayward field make the list. one of my biggest regrets will have been not getting there for a meet before they gave it the soldier field treatment the past couple years. Monza would be another notable omission.

The whalers left when i was still relatively young, but it surprises me it's remembered so fondly. It's really a crappy stadium.
    The Hartford Civic Center's major claim to fame was that it was so poorly engineered, the roof collapsed.

When I read the article in the WaPo, I realized it wasn't so much about great venues (as it should have been), but rather personal nostalgia for the writers...