Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Favorite Andy Griffith Show Character.

Been watching all the AGS reruns, and was wondering who everyone's favorite character was. There are myriads to choose from, but mine was that wild man of the mountains, , Ernest T Bass!

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Been watching all the AGS reruns, and was wondering who everyone's favorite character was. There are myriads to choose from, but mine was that wild man of the mountains, , Ernest T Bass!
    Barney stole the show but there were several good supporting actors on that tv show.

I always liked Oether Darling and his brothers. They were real cut-ups.

But the songs they played always made me cry.

So many great ones, but Floyd the barber always made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by TomJoad View Post
    So many great ones, but Floyd the barber always made me laugh.

Larry, his brother Darryl, and his other brother Darryl.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Larry, his brother Darryl, and his other brother Darryl.
    I thought those characters were from a different show....

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I thought those characters were from a different show...
    Yeah, they were. Evidently a poor attempt at humor by me.

They were in the 2nd Newhart show. Loved those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    "All I wants a uneeform!"

Don Knotts as Barney Fife is it for me. I particularly enjoyed the episodes involving Barney and Thelma Lou.

A friend of mine wrote Andy and Don: The Making of a Friendship and a Classic American TV Show.

Written by Don Knotts’s brother-in-law, Andy and Don is “a rewarding dual biography that is also a lively look inside the entertainment industry in the latter half of the twentieth century” (News & Observer). Entertaining and provocative, it “captures a golden moment in modern Americana. You’ll not only return again to Mayberry, you’ll feel as though you’ve never left” (Tom Shales, Pulitzer Prize–winning television critic).
    And I got a tiny credit in it, too...

-jk

Can we please have a a kind word here for Jim Nabors as Gomer Pyle? "Citizen's arrest! Citizen's arrest!"
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Sheriff Lamar Potts.

Oh, y'all said his Mayberry show, not Murder in Coweta County. Well.

The Darlings weren't on very often but they were a real group, the Dillards and as the Dillards they were one of the first great country-rock hybrids. They never sold a lot of records-I bought them all-but they were extremely influential.

Douglas Dillard and original Byrd Gene Clark teamed up as the Dillard and Clark Expedition for a couple of great records.

Can’t believe nobody has mentioned my favorite, Otis.

Floyd the Barber - Growing up, rumor had it that the reason he is always shown in a seated position was that actor Howard McNear was a drug addict and unable to stand for any length of time. Just checking Wikipedia, however looks like he suffered a stroke leaving half of his body paralyzed.

In "The Loaded Goat", Otis tries to jump onto his mattress which is strapped to the wall. Hysterical!

There should be a parallel "Favorite Episode" thread though the episode in which Opie raises some hatchlings he orphaned would probably run away with it. That would be my first choice followed by any episode during which Andy confiscates Barney's single bullet.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 07-13-2020 at 11:51 AM. Reason: or the episode when Andy makes Barney keep the bullet in his shirt pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    There should be a parallel "Favorite Episode" thread though the episode in which Opie raises some hatchlings he orphaned would probably run away with it. That would be my first choice followed by any episode during which Andy confiscates Barney's single bullet.
    “Opie the Birdman” probably would end up being number one. A very popular episode for sure. I also enjoy the “Pickle Story” (I think that’s the title, I’m going off memory) and “Mountain Wedding”. That’s the episode that introduced Ernest T Bass to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    “Opie the Birdman” probably would end up being number one. A very popular episode for sure. I also enjoy the “Pickle Story” (I think that’s the title, I’m going off memory) and “Mountain Wedding”. That’s the episode that introduced Ernest T Bass to the show.
    Yes, The Pickle Story. And The Song Festers, the one where Gomer beat out Barney in the choir for solo. Barney singing "A capella" still cracks me up.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I'd vote for "The Loaded Goat".