Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Ridiculously off topic...
    Yes...there are 500 other threads dedicated to this subject.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Wow...

Lawson had her eye on this particular opportunity for a while. Joanne P. McCallie came into this past season without an extension, making it clear Duke was about to move in a different direction.
    “We actually went on a walk – Kara, Tracy and I – a couple of months ago,” Brad Stevens said. “And we were talking about what she’d be interested in the future, and being the head coach at Duke was one of the things that came up. So it’s really cool that she’s getting a chance to do that. She’ll be terrific.”
    https://www.masslive.com/celtics/202...-love-her.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    what is wow about it?
    1200. DDMF.

Terrific article. Nice quotes from Marcus Smart too.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    what is wow about it?
    The fact that this was not only on her radar, but that her and Stevens discussed it.
    It makes me wonder if she had reached out.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Terrific article. Nice quotes from Marcus Smart too.
    I agree. I was not happy with this hire at all when it was first posted that she was our candidate, but I'm coming around. There has been nothing but praise from those that have been around her, and more importantly, played for her.

I love this hire. I was blown away by how smart and likeable Lawson was as a TV analyst. Welcome to Duke Coach Lawson! She is going to do so well. I'm excited about the future of Duke WBB.

The fact that this was not only on her radar, but that her and Stevens discussed it.
    Well, Stephen Pagliuca (Duke '77 and current Trustee) is the managing general partner of the Celtics. This almost seems like an inside job.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

gotcha. I assume these people all talk, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was common knowledge that Duke wasn't moving ahead with P long before it was public, and I also wouldn't be surprised if White knew of Lawson's interest.

In short, I assume networking is as important in the coaching world as it is in the coaching world.
    1200. DDMF.

gotcha. I assume these people all talk, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was common knowledge that Duke wasn't moving ahead with P long before it was public, and I also wouldn't be surprised if White knew of Lawson's interest.

In short, I assume networking is as important in the coaching world as it is in the coaching world.
    I agree, it's just interesting to see it in action. We all knew that P wasn't getting an extension, but we were still under the impression that she would be with Duke through the season. I think most of us assumed that this coming year would be her last, barring some miracle run.

But like you surmise, and from the story about Coach Kara's and Stevens' walk, they were not oblivious that this could be an opportunity, and from that, I'd guess that when McCallie walked out the door Dr. White knew exactly who he would be calling.

That's my "wow". It's not often we get a glimpse of the working behind the scenes. Especially with so much foresight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    While what you're saying is mostly true, I believe every top program wasn't a top program when it got its first big recruit. For example, South Carolina wasn't a "top handful" program when A'Ja Wilson committed, nor was Baylor a top handful program when they snagged Brittney Griner (though admittedly both programs were on the way up).

Also, a good recruiter could probably spin Duke as a top handful program going through a lull. You never know what convinces a 17-year-old kid. I'm not saying Azzi will come to Duke, but if it were automatic that the top talent only went to the top programs, the top programs would never change (and they clearly do, except for your beloved Huskies).
    Duke was also not at the tip-top when Alana committed. I believe Geno put some quotes out there about how she was one who he was annoyed about in particular, not just to miss recruiting her effectively but also because of the boost that her presence gave Duke. But Duke WBB today is a long way from pre-Alan Duke WBB, of course.

Indeed. This is inarguable.☺

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I love this hire. I was blown away by how smart and likeable Lawson was as a TV analyst. Welcome to Duke Coach Lawson! She is going to do so well. I'm excited about the future of Duke WBB.
    +1. In the old days the WP would carry hs box scores and I thought she was the best player ever from NVA at the time. She certainly should be able to recruit "big time" players who have the academics.

There is a virtual Zoom meeting on wral.com right now as different folks ask questions of the new coach. (Jim Sumner is one of the interviewers.)

It's a bit of a cluster, and right now Coach Lawson's feed isn't working, but it's still interesting. She's obviously very passionate, one of the reporters had her on the verge of tears asking about her experience with the Celtics.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/new-du...ebut/19186573/

I gather Lawson was in a bunker somewhere in Orlando.

I am really beginning to hate Zoom

Thanks Cam. I was able to catch the last 15 or so minutes of the zoom call. I hope they post a link to the entire call at some point. Coach K. Lawson's phone was blowing up during the entire part that I saw. It was great to hear Nina and Dr. White also.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I gather Lawson was in a bunker somewhere in Orlando.

I am really beginning to hate Zoom
    Good luck with Webex and MS Teams...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

There is a virtual Zoom meeting on wral.com right now as different folks ask questions of the new coach. (Jim Sumner is one of the interviewers.)

It's a bit of a cluster, and right now Coach Lawson's feed isn't working, but it's still interesting. She's obviously very passionate, one of the reporters had her on the verge of tears asking about her experience with the Celtics.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/new-du...ebut/19186573/
    They've now reposted the introduction, hopefully editing out some of the dead air. It's over an hour long.

Edit...nope to them editing. The first 7 minutes is people silently staring at their screens.

They've now reposted the introduction, hopefully editing out some of the dead air. It's over an hour long.

Edit...nope to them editing. The first 7 minutes is people silently staring at their screens.
    Then for at least 2 minutes Dr. White gives an opening statement, which is muted. Geeez, not a good look for the Duke IT department.

I heard enough to feel that we will have a great ambassador for Duke University and a potentially exceptional coach on the sidelines for what I hope will be a long, long tenure. More excited about her now than when the announcement was made over the weekend.