Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Apples and oranges. Top men college basketball players pick a school for one year. They need instant success. Top women pick a school for four years.
    Great point.

And along with that, academics tends to matter more to women because they are likely to be around for four years and they aren't going to be getting seven-figure pro contracts right out of school.

I said this before I even knew who Duke was considering. The right coach can turn things around quickly. And I'm really excited by this hire. It might be too late for Duke to flip anyone from the prep class of 2020 but I would expect her to get Duke involved with any top prepsters from 2021 even remotely open to re-evaluating their short list.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Nice tweet from Coach P.

See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Joanne P. McCallie
    @CoachPDuke
    Huge congratulations to Kara for being chosen as the fifth head coach in duke history. Very exciting times ahead for the team and program.

Go Duke! Blue heart
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yes, a very classy thing to post. I wish Coach P well in the future.
    That's nice to see and thanks for posting it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Azzi's father is a high school basketball coach.
    Her mother, Katie Smrcka-Duffy, was an All Met (probably player of the year but my memory is a little hazy) in the DC area and played at Madison High School, which competed against Kara's. I cannot recall if she and Kara competed against each other but I am confident they are acquaintances if not friends. As a freshman at NC State, Smrcka-Duffy was ACC Rookie of the Year and honorable mention all-ACC. She transferred to Georgetown and led the Big East in scoring as a sophomore and junior, and was a second-team all-Big East selection as a sophomore, junior, and senior. She was drafted by the Sacramento Monarchs but was plagued by injuries.

Color me impressed by the hire. These are tough times to hire, but she is a known name, from a historically great program, Yes, coaching tenure is short, but given the budgetary and pandemic constraints, what sort of experienced coach were you likely to get? How many 73-59 coaches turn out to be Hall of Fame quality? I'm thinking ... one, and we already have that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'll put a pie on it, if you lie
    20 to 1 pie sure, because there are about 20 programs she could pick from. Point out one thing wrong in anything I've written

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxthewonderdog View Post
    Her mother, Katie Smrcka-Duffy, was an All Met (probably player of the year but my memory is a little hazy) in the DC area and played at Madison High School, which competed against Kara's. I cannot recall if she and Kara competed against each other but I am confident they are acquaintances if not friends. As a freshman at NC State, Smrcka-Duffy was ACC Rookie of the Year and honorable mention all-ACC. She transferred to Georgetown and led the Big East in scoring as a sophomore and junior, and was a second-team all-Big East selection as a sophomore, junior, and senior. She was drafted by the Sacramento Monarchs but was plagued by injuries.
    She was a freshman at State in 1997 (surprisingly hard to look up) so I think they would have overlapped one year in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    While that may be true, it does not seem to extend to not going to the top handful of women's basketball programs. Duke is not such a program right now, and such a player would have no reason to risk committing to a team that has just changed coaches and is not a lock to make the tournament.

I don't mean that L shouldn't try, just that I think the odds of her coming to duke would be exceptionally low. It would be as if zion williamson committed to Connecticut just after they hired Hurley...it's not going to happen.
    Coach K's success in recruiting did not come quickly. A little patience might be in order for Coach Kara. Great hire -- wish her the best!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Coach K's success in recruiting did not come quickly. A little patience might be in order for Coach Kara. Great hire -- wish her the best!
    True. But Lawson has a much higher profile than Krzyzewski did in the early 1980s.

And K really only had one down recruiting class. Foster didn't have any commitments when he bailed and there wasn't much left in the spring of 1980. K's second class was Dan Meagher and not much else. He hit the jackpot with his third class but these guys had the misfortune of hitting the ACC when it was full of great, upperclass talent.

Statement from Kevin White:

EcrWp31XgAAHBjX.jpg
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That's nice to see and thanks for posting it.
    No need to denigrate anyone in the past. We have made an excellent new hire and she should be given time and support and allowed to redevelop the program. Even coach K needed time to make the men's team a powerhouse.

Late start in 1980 and no major recruits.

Came in second on a whole bunch of players in 1981. Decided to focus on fewer players.

Hit the jackpot in 1982 and going strong ever since.

You're right that it didn't seem "come quickly" at the time, but still pretty amazing.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

That's my thought. Shoot for the moon, but invest the most effort in people who we are more likely to have a realistic shot.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Late start in 1980 and no major recruits.

Came in second on a whole bunch of players in 1981. Decided to focus on fewer players.

Hit the jackpot in 1982 and going strong ever since.

You're right that it didn't seem "come quickly" at the time, but still pretty amazing.
    Particularly with his total lack of experience or success in recruiting top level talent.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Another classy tweet.

Gail Goestenkors
    @gailgoes10
    Congrats Kara! Wishing you all the best!
    @karalawson20

GG, always a class act.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Um, that's not a fun fact, dude!
    It's neither fun nor completely accurate.

She was on the Tennessee team in 2002 (they lost to UConn, Duke to Oklahoma in the semis), and in 2003, when Tennessee beat us in the semis (and then lost to UConn in the finals.)

But, there was also 2006. Still too soon to discuss...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Statement from Kevin White:

EcrWp31XgAAHBjX.jpg
    I don't know what "emotional intelligence" is, but with statements such as "contemporary vision", and "ability to connect with future (athletes)", it is clear that Dr. White is very prone on looking ahead, and that he thinks that Coach Kara can bring that future. And it shows why Coach G was ruled out so early.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Particularly with his total lack of experience or success in recruiting top level talent.
    I'm reminded of a comment from a caller from Greensboro (?) back when Coach K had a radio show and answered calls.

Said something like, "After I saw you, and then saw your wife, I had no doubts about your ability to recruit."

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    It's neither fun nor completely accurate.

She was on the Tennessee team in 2002 (they lost to UConn, Duke to Oklahoma in the semis), and in 2003, when Tennessee beat us in the semis (and then lost to UConn in the finals.)

But, there was also 2006. Still too soon to discuss...
    You might want to review what I wrote again...

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    You might want to review what I wrote again...
    You typed:

“Fun fact: the last two times DWB went to the final four - she was there both times and sent Duke home one of those times.”

I pointed out that it wasn’t the “last two times” DWB went to the final four.

What did I miss?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    K's second class was Dan Meagher and not much else.
    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!