Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Walk-on Lafayette transfer

Jiselle Havas 5'10 guard Pratt Engineering undergraduate
    https://goduke.com/news/2020/9/23/ha...ll-roster.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Jiselle Havas 5'10 guard Pratt Engineering undergraduate
    https://goduke.com/news/2020/9/23/ha...ll-roster.aspx
    With Jayda Adams out she's a useful practice player.

Azzi Fudd and her Mom

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxthewonderdog View Post
    [Azzi Fudd’s] mother, Katie Smrcka-Duffy, was an All Met (probably player of the year but my memory is a little hazy) in the DC area and played at Madison High School, which competed against Kara's. I cannot recall if she and Kara competed against each other but I am confident they are acquaintances if not friends. [Katie preceded Kara by 4 years so they missed by one year.] As a freshman at NC State, Smrcka-Duffy was ACC Rookie of the Year and honorable mention all-ACC. She transferred to Georgetown and led the Big East in scoring as a sophomore and junior, and was a second-team all-Big East selection as a sophomore, junior, and senior. She was drafted by the Sacramento Monarchs but was plagued by injuries.
    Katie was also a two-time AP Virginia Player of the Year and USA Today National Player of the Year as a junior and senior. One year she averaged 30.4 points per game. Fudd’s father was a very good player for American U.

I saw Katie, Kara, Jasmine Thomas and Azzi Fudd play in high school in northern Virginia. Katie was most dynamic scorer of them all, with speed and wow could she shoot. Kind of reminded me of Pete Maravich. Azzi is a more complete player, sort of like Oscar Robertson with a better shooting range. Kara was a fabulous player, too, more in the classic point guard role, making everyone better but being able to run and score. I haven’t seen Fudd play since she recovered from her ACL/MCL reconstruction surgery last year. Nevertheless, she can likely go anywhere she wants. I expect she’ll go to one of the existing top tier teams, And Duke isn’t there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Katie was also a two-time AP Virginia Player of the Year and USA Today National Player of the Year as a junior and senior. One year she averaged 30.4 points per game. Fudd’s father was a very good player for American U.

I saw Katie, Kara, Jasmine Thomas and Azzi Fudd play in high school in northern Virginia. Katie was most dynamic scorer of them all, with speed and wow could she shoot. Kind of reminded me of Pete Maravich. Azzi is a more complete player, sort of like Oscar Robertson with a better shooting range. Kara was a fabulous player, too, more in the classic point guard role, making everyone better but being able to run and score. I haven’t seen Fudd play since she recovered from her ACL/MCL reconstruction surgery last year. Nevertheless, she can likely go anywhere she wants. I expect she’ll go to one of the existing top tier teams, And Duke isn’t there yet.
    We've all been been heaping praise on Kara Lawson, and you seem to be discounting our chances of landing big prospects. Without some of these top prospects, freshman Head Coach Lawson will have a tough time, indeed.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    We've all been been heaping praise on Kara Lawson, and you seem to be discounting our chances of landing big prospects. Without some of these top prospects, freshman Head Coach Lawson will have a tough time, indeed.
    Duke has ground to make up with Fudd. They are trying to make it up. But I likewise fear that time may run out on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke has ground to make up with Fudd. They are trying to make it up. But I likewise fear that time may run out on this one.
    You are probably right, Jim. But I was really responding to the general nature of the post, which seemed to be discounting Duke because we aren't a "top-tier" program yet. We sure won't become one with that attitude.

You are probably right, Jim. But I was really responding to the general nature of the post, which seemed to be discounting Duke because we aren't a "top-tier" program yet. We sure won't become one with that attitude.
    Lawson is recruiting with the mindset that Duke University and its women's basketball programs are very desirable landing spots. It's probably too late for this to have much of an impact in the class of 2021, most of which has already been locked up. But she's not conceding anything in the 2022 class and is laying the groundwork for classes beyond that.

Duke Basketball Report should apologize for treating Women's Basketball like it is an after thought.Glad they realize they have been behind in coverage,

Duke Basketball Report should apologize for treating Women's Basketball like it is an after thought.Glad they realize they have been behind in coverage,
    Not to kick off a debate, but the pre-Lawson regime turned off SO many fans that there's a reason for that. Just look at attendance the last few years (or the lack of attendance).

Guilt trip? You sound like my first wife.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I'm a big fan of Duke Women's BB, hope they do well and expect Lawson will raise its profile. But here's the reality of who is top-tier:

Final Four and Elite 8 appearances in the last 15 years:

1 UConn FF 12 EE 2
    2 Stanford 6-4
    3 Notre Dame 7-1
    4 U Tennessee 3-4

Duke is 1-5, arguably on par with U Maryland at 3-3. Of course, Duke has a lot of advantages as a place to attend college, not the least its academic standing with which only Stanford compares (and that's the other coast from home for Fudd).

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_D...ol_and_by_year
    Last edited by Rudy; 10-07-2020 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Add source

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I'm a big fan of Duke Women's BB, hope they do well and expect Lawson will raise its profile. But here's the reality of who is top-tier:

Final Four and Elite 8 appearances in the last 15 years:

1 UConn FF 12 EE 2
    2 Stanford 6-4
    3 Notre Dame 7-1
    4 U Tennessee 3-4

Duke is 1-5, arguably on par with U Maryland at 3-3. Of course, Duke has a lot of advantages as a place to attend college, not the least its academic standing with which only Stanford compares (and that's the other coast from home for Fudd).

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_D...ol_and_by_year
    Gee, if only Duke could do something to change that narrative.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Gee, if only Duke could do something to change that narrative.
    We should spend a few pages talking about how great Coach G was.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I know you're joking, but let's don't. In the words of the immensely talented Joni Mitchell, "Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got til its gone."

To be clear though - I am again very excited about women's basketball and hopefully Ms Lawson can restore the luster to this proud program.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Apparently, I have to share the wealth, but that one got me.

(And just no. Enough already.)