Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Jim Sumner had previously posted on p.7

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    TBD.
    Keturah Jackson no longer appears on the coaching staff list at
    https://goduke.com/sports/womens-basketball/coaches

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jtelander View Post
    Keturah Jackson no longer appears on the coaching staff list at
    https://goduke.com/sports/womens-basketball/coaches
    Rats. It looks like the other support personnel have remained the same.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Last edited by pfrduke; 08-05-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Coach Lawson on Ryen Russillo Podcast

Definitely worth a listen, I had not realized she had such a close connection with Coach Cut. This interview makes me feel even better about the hire!
    https://www.theringer.com/2020/8/4/2...ch-kara-lawson

Russillo, as everyone knows, is a U. of Vermont grad, so there's that...

Sarah Wilkinson rounds out Lawson's staff.

https://goduke.com/news/2020/8/7/law...all-staff.aspx

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Sarah Wilkinson rounds out Lawson's staff.

https://goduke.com/news/2020/8/7/law...all-staff.aspx
    She graduated three years ago and already has experience as a student manager at Tennessee, a graduate assistant at Florida, an intern in the NBA, and now will be a special assistant at Duke. Impressive.

Chronicle Sports
    @chroniclesports
    Former
    @DukeWBB
    head coach Gail Goestenkors has been named an associate head coach at Central Michigan

Didn't know where to put this. Congrats Gail and good luck.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Chronicle Sports
    @chroniclesports
    Former
    @DukeWBB
    head coach Gail Goestenkors has been named an associate head coach at Central Michigan

Didn't know where to put this. Congrats Gail and good luck.
    Best of luck to Coach G.

Happy with the Lawson hire but I'll always have a soft spot for Coach G. Wish we could've gotten her at least one national championship.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Happy with the Lawson hire but I'll always have a soft spot for Coach G. Wish we could've gotten her at least one national championship.
    Um, wasn't she supposed to get us one national championship? That's the way these things work.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Um, wasn't she supposed to get us one national championship? That's the way these things work.
    Yep... player execution has nothing to do with it. It's all on the coaches.

Coach G did an outstanding job of employing strategies and tactics that put our players in the best position to have success. After that, it's on the players.

THAT'S the way these things work.

Here endeth the lesson.
    Last edited by bullettoothtony; 08-15-2020 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Yep... player execution has nothing to do with it. It's all on the coaches.

Coach G did an outstanding job of employing strategies and tactics that put our players in the best position to have success. After that, it's on the players.

THAT'S the way these things work.

Here endeth the lesson.
    Sorry, didn't know you were on the team. Fooled me when you spelled your name with a y.

I like Russillo. He's got a GenX too-cool-for-school dry wit, which puts me at ease. It has its drawbacks but it helps you survive.

I was initially disappointed with the hiring of Coach Lawson because of her lack of head coaching experience. However, DukeWBB has posted on twitter several clips of Coach Lawson coaching her players and color me impressed. The latest is her explaining the difference between working hard and competing. She's not an in-your-face type of motivator but her words are very powerful. These young ladies have a coach and a teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I was initially disappointed with the hiring of Coach Lawson because of her lack of head coaching experience. However, DukeWBB has posted on twitter several clips of Coach Lawson coaching her players and color me impressed. The latest is her explaining the difference between working hard and competing. She's not an in-your-face type of motivator but her words are very powerful. These young ladies have a coach and a teacher.
    Yup. Can't watch that and not get amped up.

So very excited for what the Lawson tenure will bring to Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Yup. Can't watch that and not get amped up.

So very excited for what the Lawson tenure will bring to Durham.
    I'm so excited for her. I'm glad Duke is committed to the program moving forward. Whether this works out or not, they took a shot on being among the upper echelon moving forward when few would have faulted them for being conservative. I just wish Coach L (or is it Coach K????) could have a full complement of crazies and fans to give her a proper welcome this year.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm so excited for her. I'm glad Duke is committed to the program moving forward. Whether this works out or not, they took a shot on being among the upper echelon moving forward when few would have faulted them for being conservative. I just wish Coach L (or is it Coach K????) could have a full complement of crazies and fans to give her a proper welcome this year.
    Me too. I would be there going nuts. And I'm quite loud.

Nice story in the WaPost on Lawson who's from the area. (Sorry if it's paywalled.)

Loved this opening:

Like many children who took to basketball at an early age, Kara Lawson aspired to make a professional career out of the sport. The difference between the Northern Virginia native and many other youthful dreamers was Lawson’s inclination toward coaching, not just playing.

That’s how Lawson’s former high school coach at West Springfield, where the Spartans went undefeated in her final two seasons on the way to consecutive state championships, tells it when recounting a conversation they had her junior year.

It began with Lawson showing up at Bill Gibson’s office, as his point guard had on many occasions since arriving at the school one year previous. During this visit, they discussed, among other topics, Lawson’s plans not only several years down the road but also where she envisioned herself perhaps over the ensuing decades.

“She goes, ‘Well, I want to become a coach,’ ” Gibson said. “And I said, ‘Well, a high school coach isn’t that.’ And she goes, ‘No, I don’t want to be a high school coach.’ ‘Oh, you want to be a college coach?’ ‘No, I don’t want to be a college coach. I want to be an NBA coach.’

“I said, ‘Damn, if you need an assistant, call me.’ ”
    -jk