Something to mull over...

Just got finished reading the excellent Duke season preview and this one thing caught my eye.

It's a shooter's thing. Especially if you've done it at a few levels.

It was this: "Just a thought on Moore: last season he shot just 21.1 percent from behind the line. Yet at times, especially early in the season, he kept shooting. So the question is: is he just a bad shooter with poor judgment? Or is he a guy who expected success because he’s known it before?"

The transition from high school to college is tough for MOST athletes. You go from playing with 16 year olds to playing with 22 and 23 year olds. The game is faster, stronger, bigger, blah blah blah.

But when it comes to shooting, and in Wendell's case in particularly, the 3 point line moves back a foot. In high school it was highly likely that most of his 3 point attempts were wide open or against smaller defenders. But now, the talent and game has caught up.

Really only the purest of shooters can make the shooting adjustment immediately. Redick came in shooting 30 footers. Muscle memory is a big part of it however for "normal" shooter, even if you're looking right dead at the rim. When it's off and you're missing, then you over compensate, you rush, you shoot harder. None of it is rhythm. Jack White comes to mind.

When the game slows down, you can focus on shooting. With another year in the mix, I expect Wendell's shooting to make a significant jump.

Wendell shot 80.6% from the free throw line, second only to Joey Baker on FT %

That seems like a positive indicator for his outside shooting ability.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Wendell shot 80.6% from the free throw line, second only to Joey Baker on FT %

That seems like a positive indicator for his outside shooting ability.
    It's a good indicator of touch - but the free throw line is the only thing that remains the same from junior high to college. And that's just one of the reasons I see him being Battier like this year. At worst, he's Dave McClure at his VERY BEST (I'm talking all around impact on the game).