Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 255
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham

    Welcome to Duke, Kara Lawson!

    https://twitter.com/DukeWBB/status/1282005558892036098

    official. better times are comin' by and by, hopefully.
    While it would be more appropriate for our friends in raleigh, it's not unfitting that the UNC fight song is the same tune as "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Thanks for starting the thread. I'm stealing/reposting this comment I posted in the other one.

    So now that the HC slot is filled, it will be interesting to see who she surrounds herself with. As I've stated she has no coaching experience in the collegiate world, but Jim Sumner mentioned that she would likely surround herself with people who have plenty. I'd assume that he is right in that prognostication.

    I do hope that at least one or two coaches remain. Both Wanisha Smith and Keturah Jackson know Duke as well as anyone, and Smith has the experience of being one of our Final Four players. (She lost only 15 games in her years at Duke...I so hope that Lawson can get us back to those days!)

    Many board members have spoken highly of Jim Corrigan as well. Obviously Lawson is going to want to bring in her own people, but I'm crossing fingers that someone on our current bench sticks around. (And, since Joy Smith didn't get looked at for the HC job, maybe she can steal her from Clemson as an assistant. )
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Welcome, Coach!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Thanks for starting the thread. I'm stealing/reposting this comment I posted in the other one.

    So now that the HC slot is filled, it will be interesting to see who she surrounds herself with. As I've stated she has no coaching experience in the collegiate world, but Jim Sumner mentioned that she would likely surround herself with people who have plenty. I'd assume that he is right in that prognostication.

    I do hope that at least one or two coaches remain. Both Wanisha Smith and Keturah Jackson know Duke as well as anyone, and Smith has the experience of being one of our Final Four players. (She lost only 15 games in her years at Duke...I so hope that Lawson can get us back to those days!)

    Many board members have spoken highly of Jim Corrigan as well. Obviously Lawson is going to want to bring in her own people, but I'm crossing fingers that someone on our current bench sticks around. (And, since Joy Smith didn't get looked at for the HC job, maybe she can steal her from Clemson as an assistant. )
    While I totally agree that she should have someone, who as Charlie would agree, knows the territory, I think I would largely prefer that person to not be a holdover from the current tenure. It's not that they're bad people, but it just seems to me that in trying to rebuild a program, you really need to clean house. I'm not sure as a coach you can try to instill one philosophy, get a new HC, and then tell your players "toss that out the window, do this now! trust me!" Maybe it's doable, but it's just one more hurdle to instilling a new mentality, having holdovers.


    Joy I think would be an awesome fit were we to be able to entice her to return. Alana would also fit the bill nicely IMO.
    While it would be more appropriate for our friends in raleigh, it's not unfitting that the UNC fight song is the same tune as "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay"

  5. #5
    Couldn't imagine a better hire. Talk about pedigree! NCAA Champion, Olympic Gold Medalist, WNBA player, basketball analyst, NBA assistant coach with the Celtics. Just an absolute home run hire. Welcome home, Coach (K) Lawson!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...question-marks

    If she helps the program quickly resurge, then McCallie will be remembered fondly as the coach who took the Blue Devils to 10 NCAA tournament appearances. If Lawson fails, they'll both be blamed, with McCallie (unfairly) being seen as the beginning of the end.
    what did i just read? No part of what Lawson will have any impact on the fact that P's tenure is and likely will always be viewed as unsuccessful.
    While it would be more appropriate for our friends in raleigh, it's not unfitting that the UNC fight song is the same tune as "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Couldn't imagine a better hire. Talk about pedigree! NCAA Champion, Olympic Gold Medalist, WNBA player, basketball analyst, NBA assistant coach with the Celtics. Just an absolute home run hire. Welcome home, Coach (K) Lawson!
    Thanks to UCONN, twice, she never got to cut down the nets. She did win a WNBA championship, though.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...question-marks



    what did i just read? No part of what Lawson will have any impact on the fact that P's tenure is and likely will always be viewed as unsuccessful.
    There's some dubious logic in there...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    While I totally agree that she should have someone, who as Charlie would agree, knows the territory, I think I would largely prefer that person to not be a holdover from the current tenure. It's not that they're bad people, but it just seems to me that in trying to rebuild a program, you really need to clean house. I'm not sure as a coach you can try to instill one philosophy, get a new HC, and then tell your players "toss that out the window, do this now! trust me!" Maybe it's doable, but it's just one more hurdle to instilling a new mentality, having holdovers.


    Joy I think would be an awesome fit were we to be able to entice her to return. Alana would also fit the bill nicely IMO.
    I agree some with what you are saying, but holding over at least someone from last year also offers an intermediary between the current players and the new staff. The team may appreciate that familiarity.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  10. #10

    Yup

    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    There's some dubious logic in there...
    Next thing you know the Chronicle will be telling us that more people are getting sick as a result of more testing.

    I just hope they don't try to put some positive spin on the Carolina way.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    There's some dubious logic in there...
    Yeah, the author lost me with the statement that if Lawson helps the Duke program to a resurgence, "then McCallie will be remembered fondly." I don't know who the author believes will remember Coach McCallie "fondly," but I doubt that many Duke Women's Basketball fans will be among them.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Yeah, the author lost me with the statement that if Lawson helps the Duke program to a resurgence, "then McCallie will be remembered fondly." I don't know who the author believes will remember Coach McCallie "fondly," but I doubt that many Duke Women's Basketball fans will be among them.
    She lost me long before that statement. That whole piece would be better off as a parody posting.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Yeah, the author lost me with the statement that if Lawson helps the Duke program to a resurgence, "then McCallie will be remembered fondly." I don't know who the author believes will remember Coach McCallie "fondly," but I doubt that many Duke Women's Basketball fans will be among them.
    If Duke comes out swinging and has a great, the storyline will be the difference that a coach can make with mostly the same players...and will not reflect well on P. THAT may be somewhat unfair, but nothing lawson does will retroactively change much of what people think about P.
    While it would be more appropriate for our friends in raleigh, it's not unfitting that the UNC fight song is the same tune as "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay"

  14. #14

    Brilliant choice!

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Couldn't imagine a better hire. Talk about pedigree! NCAA Champion, Olympic Gold Medalist, WNBA player, basketball analyst, NBA assistant coach with the Celtics. Just an absolute home run hire. Welcome home, Coach (K) Lawson!
    Let me go one stage further back: we watched her play in high school and she was our daughter's coach at a youth basketball camp back then. You will not find a bigger competitor or a better person. Brilliant choice.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    From that Chronicle story:
    ...then McCallie will be remembered fondly as the coach who took the Blue Devils to 10 NCAA tournament appearances.
    Because NCAA tournament appearances are the standard for success at Duke, right?

    Was that article written by McCallie herself?
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Homerun hire! Welcome to Duke Coach K. Lawson!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    While I totally agree that she should have someone, who as Charlie would agree, knows the territory, I think I would largely prefer that person to not be a holdover from the current tenure. It's not that they're bad people, but it just seems to me that in trying to rebuild a program, you really need to clean house. I'm not sure as a coach you can try to instill one philosophy, get a new HC, and then tell your players "toss that out the window, do this now! trust me!" Maybe it's doable, but it's just one more hurdle to instilling a new mentality, having holdovers.


    Joy I think would be an awesome fit were we to be able to entice her to return. Alana would also fit the bill nicely IMO.
    Neither Alana nor Joy was in the HC mix. Something would have to change dramatically for either to be in the assistant coach mix.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Neither Alana nor Joy was in the HC mix. Something would have to change dramatically for either to be in the assistant coach mix.
    other than the obvious unavailability/lack of interest on the part of the candidate, why would those two necessarily be related? Just because White or whomever was not interested in someone as a HC doesn't necessarily mean the eventual hire wouldn't be interested in that person as an assistant, right? Or does the department have some say in the ultimate staff?

    Or perhaps I am both reading too much into your lines and not enough between them.
    While it would be more appropriate for our friends in raleigh, it's not unfitting that the UNC fight song is the same tune as "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay"

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Welcome Coach! Now go get Azzi Fudd and jump start the program. It all starts with the point guard.

    For those that don't know, Azzi won the Gatorade National Girls Basketball Player of the Year award as a sophomore. She's probably the best player since Breanna Stewart.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rougemont Nebulae
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    If Duke comes out swinging and has a great, the storyline will be the difference that a coach can make with mostly the same players...and will not reflect well on P. THAT may be somewhat unfair, but nothing lawson does will retroactively change much of what people think about P.
    Correct. But P presided as Duke seized the upper hand in the Duke-UNC series so I thank her for that. It's not all about the Ws but it helps. By my ciphering she went 21-9 against the Holes, 70% is a fairly handsome percentage to claim against your arch-rival. UNC had its own issues obviously as Hatchell's tenure wound down. All the fan talk--ultimately just talk--at the time that UNC WBB would be scapegoated to appease NCAA investigators apparently hurt. There were a least two seasons when UNC lost multiple players to transfer including 4 prior to the 2019-2020 season. But P smacked around a coach with a national championship to her credit and P was always better dressed.
    "You will stop hearing the term 'Big Brother' because we will do it to ourselves." --Neil Postman

Similar Threads

  1. Congrats to Kara Wilson
    By awhom111 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2016, 11:58 PM
  2. Ty Lawson last night
    By trinity92 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 08:31 AM
  3. Lawson ACC POY
    By DukiesPA in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 12:22 PM
  4. If Lawson leaves, Duke or UNC preseason ACC #1?
    By houstondukie in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 07:47 AM
  5. Lawson is NBA ready!
    By markbdevil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 09:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •