Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Let's make our dream Duke Alum TBT team

I'm not sure how many of you all are watching the TBT... I've been enjoying the bits I've watched since I so desperately miss basketball, and the Elam Ending makes for some exciting finishes.

For those aren't aware, the best teams in the tourney (which awards 1 or 2 million dollars, depending on the year, to the winning team in a winner-take-all format) are mostly "alumni" teams of certain schools. Ohio State, Marquette, Dayton, and Purdue, amongst others, have teams this year.

So, I was thinking it might be fun to craft a dream "Duke Alum" TBT team. The rules:
    • No currently active NBA players.
    • Former players currently playing overseas are fair game (in fact, many such players are in the tournament).
    • Players should have semi-recently been playing competitively (so I can't put Zoubek on my team).
    • Some, but not many, older guys play... so let's not let our players get too much older than 30, with maybe the exception of one veteran outlier to lead the squad.
    • Avoid guys who made tons of money in the league, or are doing so coaching... they likely wouldn't be interested, haha.
    • 5 starters and 3 bench players (the teams are small, since less players means more money for each).
    • For added challenge, everyone had to GRADUATE from Duke... 4 year players only.
    • Pick a coach too for the fun of it.

My squad:
    1: Tyler Thornton (I didn't realize it, but he's playing in Canada!)
    2: Demarcus Nelson
    3: Kyle Singler
    4: Ryan Kelly
    5: Miles Plumlee
    Bench: Matt Jones
    Bench: Jack White (I imagine he'll be starting a career in Australia soon...)
    Bench: Vrank
    Coach: Nolan

Minus lacking a playmaking PG (most of our recent PGs are in the league!), that team is easily a contender in the tournament I'm watching.

Who can craft a better squad? I'm sure I forgot some guys...
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Finally - a poll with a necessary recency bias!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I'm not sure how many of you all are watching the TBT... I've been enjoying the bits I've watched since I so desperately miss basketball, and the Elam Ending makes for some exciting finishes.

For those aren't aware, the best teams in the tourney (which awards 1 or 2 million dollars, depending on the year, to the winning team in a winner-take-all format) are mostly "alumni" teams of certain schools. Ohio State, Marquette, Dayton, and Purdue, amongst others, have teams this year.

So, I was thinking it might be fun to craft a dream "Duke Alum" TBT team. The rules:
    • Former players currently playing overseas are fair game (in fact, many such players are in the tournament).
    • Players should have semi-recently been playing competitively (so I can't put Zoubek on my team).
    • Some, but not many, older guys play... so let's not let our players get too much older than 30, with maybe the exception of one veteran outlier to lead the squad.
    • Avoid guys who made tons of money in the league, or are doing so coaching... they likely wouldn't be interested, haha.
    • 5 starters and 3 bench players (the teams are small, since less players means more money for each).
    • For added challenge, everyone had to GRADUATE from Duke... 4 year players only.

My squad:

Minus lacking a playmaking PG (most of our recent PGs are in the league!), that team is easily a contender in the tournament I'm watching.

I would sub Nolan in for Tyler Thornton and Javin for Vrank.

I would want Marshall Plumlee and Kyle Singler on the team.

My squad:

Sounds fun. Miles has made over $50 million - not sure what your tax returns look like, but doesn't that violate the "made tons of money" clause? Marshall can slide into that spot if he isn't busy jumping out of planes and serving our country. Also might want to fit Andre Dawkins in there?

My squad:

Tyler Thornton is currently the Howard assistant under Kenny Blakeney. He's no longer playing. Dunno if that changes things, but he's not playing for Halifax, despite what Wikipedia has listed.

My team would be:

Starters - Ryan Kelly, Kyle Singler, Andre Dawkins, Daniel Ewing, DeMarcus Nelson
    Bench - Matt Jones, Antonio Vrankovic, Justin Robinson (if he doesn't get to the league)
    Coach - Nolan Smith

Got some star appeal, balanced team, we got defense, we got some 3s, and we got some guys that know how to win it all!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I would want Marshall Plumlee and Kyle Singler on the team.
    Marshall is a great one! But how much do you think he’s really played while focused on his other endeavors?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Sounds fun. Miles has made over $50 million - not sure what your tax returns look like, but doesn't that violate the "made tons of money" clause? Marshall can slide into that spot if he isn't busy jumping out of planes and serving our country. Also might want to fit Andre Dawkins in there?
    Good point on Miles... I didn’t realize he’d made that much! Pretty insane when you think about it considering what type of player he was as a freshman.

So maybe Marshall at C, and Andre on the bench over Jack?

Marshall is a great one! But how much do you think he’s really played while focused on his other endeavors?
    He made it through Ranger School - he can do anything.

Interesting that there are no mentions of Amile or Trevon.

Poor Javin also has been snubbed.

Shavlik is old, but he did play part of the season overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Interesting that there are no mentions of Amile or Trevon.

Poor Javin also has been snubbed.

Shavlik is old, but he did play part of the season overseas.
    He set the parameters as not in the NBA and had to graduate so I believe that excludes all you mentioned except Javin. Given those parameters the list of possible players really isn’t that long unless you want to start dusting off some older guys.

One wild card to add is Jay Williams...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    He set the parameters as not in the NBA and had to graduate so I believe that excludes all you mentioned except Javin. Given those parameters the list of possible players really isn’t that long unless you want to start dusting off some older guys.

One wild card to add is Jay Williams...
    I believe some G-League guys are in TBT... also, some just graduated players, who haven't started pro careers yet, are, and seem to be trying to use the tourney as a jumping off point. Louisville's Ryan McMahon was raining threes yesterday.

So Javin should definitely be included. Amile maybe. Trevon I say no since we want this to stay an "alumni" team.

So based on common consensus maybe the team now looks like:

Daniel Ewing
    Demarcus Nelson
    Kyle Singler
    Ryan Kelly
    Javin DeLaurier
    Bench: Andre Dawkins, Matt Jones, Antonio Vrankovich

That squad might be a bit older than many currently in the field with Ewing, Nelson and Singler all 30+, but that wouldn't be too much of an anomaly...

I believe some G-League guys are in TBT... also, some just graduated players, who haven't started pro careers yet, are, and seem to be trying to use the tourney as a jumping off point. Louisville's Ryan McMahon was raining threes yesterday.

So Javin should definitely be included. Amile maybe. Trevon I say no since we want this to stay an "alumni" team.

So based on common consensus maybe the team now looks like:

Daniel Ewing
    Demarcus Nelson
    Kyle Singler
    Ryan Kelly
    Javin DeLaurier
    Bench: Andre Dawkins, Matt Jones, Antonio Vrankovich

That squad might be a bit older than many currently in the field with Ewing, Nelson and Singler all 30+, but that wouldn't be too much of an anomaly...
    J-Rob for Javin and Vrank off the roster.

So no Rasheed Sulaimon, Chase Jeter, Derryck Thornton, Michael Gbinije or Alex Murphy? Not sure any would actually displace any of the guys currently listed, but they are some younger non-NBA pros with a Duke connection (and also some options at point guard, where the TBT team is very thin).

Technically Sean Obi graduated from Duke, but I don't think he's still actively playing anywhere.

Did Marques Bolden finish a degree?

Just spit-balling some possible names.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    So no Rasheed Sulaimon, Chase Jeter, Derryck Thornton, Michael Gbinije or Alex Murphy? Not sure any would actually displace any of the guys currently listed, but they are some younger non-NBA pros with a Duke connection (and also some options at point guard, where the TBT team is very thin).

Technically Sean Obi graduated from Duke, but I don't think he's still actively playing anywhere.

I might be willing to let Marques in since he stayed 3 years, which is an eternity in the modern game, haha. He did end his career at Duke, which is also as close as you can get to "alum" status without an actual degree in today's landscape.

I agree that PG would be the weakness of any team we've been able to spitball so far, although we know that Matt Jones could play the point in spurts. Maybe we have to get Nolan/Scheyer to lace 'em back up to man the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post

I think Rasheed graduated from Duke, which is why he was able to play at Maryland the following season, though I'm not sure of that. That being said, I don't think he would be eager to play on a Duke affiliated team, though I guess money talks...

I would add Trevon Duval to the team.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Chris Duhan as pg ?

I was curious about the meaning of “tons of money.” How many tons in tons of money? I’d say 3 tons, though I’m open to suggestion. And what do we mean by money? Pennies, dollar bills, Benjamins?

A US penny weighs 2 grams.
    363,000 pennies in a ton, so 3 tons would be worth under $11,000.
    I’d guess that lots of our guys who unsuccessfully tried out for NBA teams might reach that plateau.

All US bills weight the same: 1 gram.
    A ton of dollar bills would be worth $908,000. 3 tons=$2.724m
    I’d guess lots of our guys also reach this plateau, including the ones who never started but made it a few years on the bench, especially if they got to a 2nd contract.

A ton of $100 dollar bills would be worth $90.8m. 3 tons=$272m
    Has anybody from Duke made this, lifetime? I don’t think so, though I could guess who might be there before he hits 30.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I was curious about the meaning of “tons of money.” How many tons in tons of money? I’d say 3 tons, though I’m open to suggestion. And what do we mean by money? Pennies, dollar bills, Benjamins?

A US penny weighs 2 grams.
    363,000 pennies in a ton, so 3 tons would be worth under $11,000.
    I’d guess that lots of our guys who unsuccessfully tried out for NBA teams might reach that plateau.

All US bills weight the same: 1 gram.
    A ton of dollar bills would be worth $908,000. 3 tons=$2.724m
    I’d guess lots of our guys also reach this plateau, including the ones who never started but made it a few years on the bench, especially if they got to a 2nd contract.

A ton of $100 dollar bills would be worth $90.8m. 3 tons=$272m
    Has anybody from Duke made this, lifetime? I don’t think so, though I could guess who might be there before he hits 30.
    Yes, but what weighs more, a ton of pennies or a ton of bills?