The ACC kicks the can down the road-decision by end of July

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    "I'm outta here anyway...y'all figure it out."
    --John Swofford
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Took him about 100 words to say nothing. He should run for governor.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Took him about 100 words to say nothing. He should run for governor.
    That's always been one of Swofford's strengths. He would talk to the media for a half hour, after which we would realize he had said nothing of real substance. That's a useful skill in some contexts, I suppose.

Recall that the ACC wasn't exactly leading the charge last March. It looks to me like the ACC is going to let other folks clear the minefield.

Remember that ND loses its entire football season if everybody cancels non-conference games...unless they play Army, BYU, etc. repeatedly. I guarantee that's a big deal up there, and it trickles down to Swofford. I'm not sure there is a good answer other than joining the ACC temporarily. That would require reworking the entire ACC schedule, but nobody in the ACC or at ESPN wants to cancel the ND @Clemson game the week after our theoretical trip to South Bend.

Long story short (too late), it's complicated.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Remember that ND loses its entire football season if everybody cancels non-conference games...unless they play Army, BYU, etc. repeatedly. I guarantee that's a big deal up there, and it trickles down to Swofford. I'm not sure there is a good answer other than joining the ACC temporarily. That would require reworking the entire ACC schedule, but nobody in the ACC or at ESPN wants to cancel the ND @Clemson game the week after our theoretical trip to South Bend.

Long story short (too late), it's complicated.
    They've already stated they would come to ND's rescue. But I like what Cut said today about that. In so many words, "Sure, we'll help them, but they need to share the money."
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

ACC's bout to find out the can's gonna kick them.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    ACC's bout to find out the can's gonna kick them.
    There will not be college sports this fall.

Shoulda told the south two months ago, wearing face masks was the only way to get to play football this year.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

Shoulda told the south two months ago, wearing face masks was the only way to get to play football this year.
    yeah, seems like this has been obvious for some time. However, I still wouldn't be surprised to see the SEC work something out.

The people in question wouldn't have believed you, even though it was flagrantly obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, seems like this has been obvious for some time. However, I still wouldn't be surprised to see the SEC work something out.
    Other than the money at stake, what makes anyone think playing conditions (SEC or otherwise) are better now than they were when Rudy Gobert broke sports in the spring?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

100% agree. I would be surprised to see ANY college sports this year (2020-2021). Very sad. But understandable. We have to get a handle on COVID19.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Other than the money at stake, what makes anyone think playing conditions (SEC or otherwise) are better now than they were when Rudy Gobert broke sports in the spring?
    Nothing, except perhaps the football culture there, and the general insouciance (bonus word) in the area regarding the virus.

Having said that, SEC Commissioner Sankey said yesterday his concern about the football season was "high to very high."

I doubt we'll see any NCAA sports until there's a vaccine...

The ACC just announced that the "virtual" ACC Football Kickoff has been "postponed." A media event, with media, players, coaches. It was scheduled for next week. Maybe just postponed until after the end-of-July decision. But still a not-so-optimistic data point.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The ACC just announced that the "virtual" ACC Football Kickoff has been "postponed." A media event, with media, players, coaches. It was scheduled for next week. Maybe just postponed until after the end-of-July decision. But still a not-so-optimistic data point.
    And here I thought virtual events were okay -- nothing is safe!!!

But yeah, doesn't instill confidence certainly, but perhaps a smart move to have more information/time elapse.