Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Henry Coleman

I dont think he has to be Duke's best anything but if he can have some kind of contribution that helps the team in games that would be key

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    I dont think he has to be Duke's best anything but if he can have some kind of contribution that helps the team in games that would be key
    As an inside defender with strength and quickness, there may be opportunities. In the one-and-done era, it seems like the Devils sometimes have trouble with teams that are older, stronger, and more physically mature. Last season, losses to SF Austin and Clemson fall in that category IMO. Even if Coleman is not in the regular rotation in his first year, I'll bet Coach K would like to have him available for matchups like that.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    A couple of highlight plays of Henry Coleman from recent scrimmages display his unusual combination of size, length, and athleticism translating to excellent defense.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1286154804583182337

https://twitter.com/i/status/1286361232358830085
    Previous clips of Henry that I have seen showed plenty of strength, skill and competitiveness, but not much in the way of athleticism or explosiveness. And I'm not sure these really change that view. In the first clip, even with a running start, his hand gets barely above rim level for the block. And while he finishes the second clip with a nice dunk, it's nothing out of the ordinary for a 6-8 guy ranked in the Top ~40 of his class IMHO.

I just got a chance to interview Henry for the DBR Podcast and I cannot even tell you how impressed I was by this young man. His answers to our questions (I was one of 2 dozen reporters on the call) were incredibly thoughtful. He just came across as supremely poised. And wait until you all hear who his favorite author is! I'll be sure to include that answer on the next pod when we highlight this interview.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I wasn't trying to imply that has to be the best, just buy into the concept, meaning that he put the work in to become a great defender, whether that's this coming year or in the future. K really likes that kind of stuff. Hopefully Henry will be at Duke for at least a couple of years, and will become the type of defender and all around player K trusts to be an important contributor.

For those of you who have a subscription to The Athletic, there is a really good article on Henry. Since it is behind a paywall, I didn't include a link.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I just got a chance to interview Henry for the DBR Podcast and I cannot even tell you how impressed I was by this young man. His answers to our questions (I was one of 2 dozen reporters on the call) were incredibly thoughtful. He just came across as supremely poised. And wait until you all hear who his favorite author is! I'll be sure to include that answer on the next pod when we highlight this interview.
    Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    For those of you who have a subscription to The Athletic, there is a really good article on Henry. Since it is behind a paywall, I didn't include a link.
    Based on the Athletic article, his words at the Nolan-led BLM rally and Jason's comments, I maybe he's got a shot at eventually being one of the team's best leaders. Considering that JRobb was about to average 20ppg in the 2020 postseason and lead us to the Final Four, I am all about a slow growing leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Based on the Athletic article, his words at the Nolan-led BLM rally and Jason's comments, I maybe he's got a shot at eventually being one of the team's best leaders. Considering that JRobb was about to average 20ppg in the 2020 postseason and lead us to the Final Four, I am all about a slow growing leader.
    If you want to listen, my interview with Henry is now available on the podcast: https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/duk...=VMP6779893146
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Coach K loves guys like Henry and he finds roles for them.

henry's game isn't all about just basketball skills but he brings other things to the team. He is a player that is willing to accept a role of defending, rebounding, energy, work ethic, communication and toughness. Amile Jefferson was a guy that needed to work on his game and his body at Duke and look how K utilized him. Henry is already physically developed and his main focus is on working on his shooting. I know the front court will have depth but the 5 position is the one spot that has the most unknows. Williams has the size and the upside as well as is known for his rim protection but offensively he is still developing. Tapé is a complete unknow bc not only is he coming from a lesser conference but he took a year off. This is where Coleman can earn some minutes as a small ball 5.

he's quickly becoming one of my favorite players

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    he's quickly becoming one of my favorite players
    Henry reminds me of a lot of kids in the Prep League--curious, intellectual, team-oriented. I too smiled about his mention of Thoreau, because that guy was the main transcendentalist that I studied at St. Chris. The difference in the Prep League now is the level of competitiveness has caught up with the public schools w Russell Wilson, Javin, etc.

He’s on the cover of the Richmond Times Dispatch Sports page

https://richmond.com/sports/high-sch...dfb7d39a8.html

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    He’s on the cover of the Richmond Times Dispatch Sports page

https://richmond.com/sports/high-sch...dfb7d39a8.html
    Wonderful article about a great young man...

And a warning, do not read the comment section on that article. Just... do... not... read... it.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Wonderful article about a great young man...

And a warning, do not read the comment section on that article. Just... do... not... read... it.
    Yeah, it'd be awful for someone to read a comment that they disagree with.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Yeah, it'd be awful for someone to read a comment that they disagree with.
    I guess if you want to read people scream fascist and racist at each other in an Internet comment section, more power to you. Sadly, plenty of places you can find that discourse.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I guess if you want to read people scream fascist and racist at each other in an Internet comment section, more power to you. Sadly, plenty of places you can find that discourse.
    Fair point. I read through some of the comments and thought it wasn't nearly as bad as most comment sections these days. Firey but mostly peaceful, for sure.

I'm totally getting future senior captain vibes from what little I've seen/read about Henry.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I'm totally getting future senior captain vibes from what little I've seen/read about Henry.
    Agreed and totally see the point you are making about him being a four year guy. I would add junior captain as well. I would take a team full of kids like that any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Based on the Athletic article, his words at the Nolan-led BLM rally and Jason's comments, I maybe he's got a shot at eventually being one of the team's best leaders.
    I know this has been discussed on other threads, but I was so impressed by what he said at the BLM rally. For an 18/19 year old kid to have that kind of perspective on the world is so impressive. And the fact that he was chosen to speak over older and more highly recruited players speaks to his leadership and the respect he has from his teammates. Glad to have him on the team, he is absolutely the type of kid you need to have on your roster, regardless of his contributions on the court.