Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry Coleman

Henry Coleman

Good read

https://bluedevilstop.com/henry-coleman-provides-perfect-small-ball-center-option-for-duke/

"This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Thanks

Glad you enjoyed.

I do not post many blogs here out of respect for the forum, but if anyone would like to follow along for more Duke content you can follow my account on Twitter @BlueDevilStop

A couple of highlight plays of Henry Coleman from recent scrimmages display his unusual combination of size, length, and athleticism translating to excellent defense.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1286154804583182337

https://twitter.com/i/status/1286361232358830085

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    A couple of highlight plays of Henry Coleman from recent scrimmages display his unusual combination of size, length, and athleticism translating to excellent defense.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1286361232358830085
    Both of those plays were (dare I say)... Zion-like!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Don't.

Please don't.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Don't.

Please don't.

- Chillin
    Yeah. Don't wanna set those expectations.

I did not realize how quickly he moves. If he tightens up his handles and develops a decent jump shot, he may turn out to be very good.

I am friends with some AAU coaches in VA and those guys said his work ethic, motor and competitiveness are excellent. They've also said he's kind of like a late bloomer because hes grown and has gotten so much stronger. One guy even said that one of the people in Henry's inner circle said hes not done growing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    The one where he totally lost his defender and then scrambled to make up for it brought back some memories...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post

I do think it is worth pointing out that Henry totally lost his man on that play but managed to recover (because the pass was slow and the guy taking the layup was slow). Props on the recovery, but losing your man that badly is not cool and will probably carry a far bigger penalty when playing against D1 competition.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I do think it is worth pointing out that Henry totally lost his man on that play but managed to recover (because the pass was slow and the guy taking the layup was slow). Props on the recovery, but losing your man that badly is not cool and will probably carry a far bigger penalty when playing against D1 competition.
    I'd like to see a few seconds before the video starts because I'm not sure if he lost sight of his man as much as he was well screened by two players. As for DoubleBlue's comment, that was the first thing that popped into my head. Both of those plays were very reminiscent of Zion plays. Now 2 plays do not make him Zion but it does show that he has potential to be a lot of fun to watch.

I'm not sure anyone truly knows what to expect from him. Could he give Duke a Jack White type contribution less the 3 point shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    I'm not sure anyone truly knows what to expect from him. Could he give Duke a Jack White type contribution less the 3 point shooting?
    I mean, he's a much more heralded recruit than Jack White or Jordan Goldwire was. He's more highly-rated than Marshall Plumlee, Lee Melchionni, and Tyler Thornton were. So it's not out of the question for him to eventually make a meaningful contribution at Duke. Probably pretty unlikely that he makes an impact in his freshman year, but again not totally impossible.

If I were betting on it, I'd probably say "career backup." But it's certainly not out of the question that he could develop into more.

I'm sure he could at least match Jack's JR year 3 point shooting.

Love you, Jack!

We shall see

We shall see
    I sure hope so.

We shall see
    In November 2021...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I mean, he's a much more heralded recruit than Jack White or Jordan Goldwire was. He's more highly-rated than Marshall Plumlee, Lee Melchionni, and Tyler Thornton were. So it's not out of the question for him to eventually make a meaningful contribution at Duke. Probably pretty unlikely that he makes an impact in his freshman year, but again not totally impossible.

If I were betting on it, I'd probably say "career backup." But it's certainly not out of the question that he could develop into more.
    No disagreement there, and it's good that the highlights showcase defense and defe-to-offense plays b/c defense may very well be the thing that earns him playing time, especially early in his career. If he buys into being the best interior defender Duke has, then the potential to earn more time on the court goes up, as time on the court goes up his ability to make an offensive impact goes up as well.
    If his career arc has him making a greater contribution than MP3, Melch, or Thornton, then that's very valuable. For example, after a very slow start to his career MP3 scored 8+ppg and 8.5 rpg as a Sr. and those are very respectable numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    No disagreement there, and it's good that the highlights showcase defense and defe-to-offense plays b/c defense may very well be the thing that earns him playing time, especially early in his career. If he buys into being the best interior defender Duke has, then the potential to earn more time on the court goes up, as time on the court goes up his ability to make an offensive impact goes up as well.
    If his career arc has him making a greater contribution than MP3, Melch, or Thornton, then that's very valuable. For example, after a very slow start to his career MP3 scored 8+ppg and 8.5 rpg as a Sr. and those are very respectable numbers.
    If he sticks around four years, I suspect Henry will be a contributor. I’ll be very surprised if that happens his first year. I’ll also be quite surprised if he’s ever Duke’s best interior defender while fellow freshman Mark Williams is on the team.