RIP Ennio Morricone

One of the great cinema composers of all-time. I can hear The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly as well as The Untouchables and The Hateful Eight in my head any time I want, that's how lasting and impactful his work has been.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-was-91-858358

He was nominated for 6 Academy Awards, though he probably should have been nominated at least a half dozen more times, but he somehow did not win until The Hateful Eight. He also won three Golden Globes, three Grammys, and a host of other awards.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Yeah, I can whistle the beginning of the refrain from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and all three of my kids will join in "Wah, wah, wah". (I know you know what I mean!)

That and the Harmonica from Once Upon a Time in the West will forever take me back to Clint and Charles Bronson!
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Among many others, he did the music for The Mission*. Well known for his piece, Gabriel's Oboe.

* Robert De Niro, Jeremy Irons ... you do the math.

There is a recording of Yo-Yo Ma performing Morricone's work, and it is exquisite.

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Among many others, he did the music for The Mission*. Well known for his piece, Gabriel's Oboe.

* Robert De Niro, Jeremy Irons ... you do the math.
    With apologies to Messrs. De Niro and Irons, the score carried The Mission. There's more than one exquisite melody in there, and his working in of the native instruments really set the tone perfectly in multiple different scenes. Brilliant work. The victory of the score to Round Midnight over the impressive trio of The Mission, Aliens, and Hoosiers is generally considered one of the bigger Oscar blunders of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    With apologies to Messrs. De Niro and Irons, the score carried The Mission.
    Well that's one opinion. Mine is strongly different.

The score was indeed lovely, but I'd have been deeply moved by The Mission even if it were a freakin' silent movie with dialogue cards. It hit me at a time of life when I was pondering a lot of ultimate questions about meaning, duty, contrition, and conviction. If the movie had been another formulaic meet-cute, I don't think the score would have helped a bit.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    With apologies to Messrs. De Niro and Irons, the score carried The Mission. There's more than one exquisite melody in there, and his working in of the native instruments really set the tone perfectly in multiple different scenes. Brilliant work. The victory of the score to Round Midnight over the impressive trio of The Mission, Aliens, and Hoosiers is generally considered one of the bigger Oscar blunders of all time.
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Well that's one opinion. Mine is strongly different.

The score was indeed lovely, but I'd have been deeply moved by The Mission even if it were a freakin' silent movie with dialogue cards. It hit me at a time of life when I was pondering a lot of ultimate questions about meaning, duty, contrition, and conviction. If the movie had been another formulaic meet-cute, I don't think the score would have helped a bit.
    And Chris Menges's Oscar-winning cinematography didn't hurt. A beautiful film to look at AND to listen to.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I'm heartbroken.

Morricone in eight tracks.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

For over 30 years Metallica has used Morricone's "The Ecstasy of Gold" as the opening of all their concerts. If you're looking for a cool video, check youtube for "Metallica S&M Ecstasy of Gold"

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    For over 30 years Metallica has used Morricone's "The Ecstasy of Gold" as the opening of all their concerts. If you're looking for a cool video, check youtube for "Metallica S&M Ecstasy of Gold"
    Someone else pulled Ecstasy of Gold in a way I like much better, and I hear it talked about much less.

The seventh track on Jay-Z's Blueprint 2, eponymously titled, samples this music; Jay-Z uses its epic quality to introduce an odd stanza structure, indeed, an insanely epic verse. The first verse goes as it's supposed to--sixteen bars. Rap is brought to you by the number Four. But the second verse is 48 bars, thrice as long as it "ought" to be. I think it's Jay-Z's most impressive verse in a lot of ways.

(I don't use the song in class because he deploys the racial epithet about a dozen times, so be aware of that before you listen).

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Someone else pulled Ecstasy of Gold in a way I like much better, and I hear it talked about much less.

The seventh track on Jay-Z's Blueprint 2, eponymously titled, samples this music; Jay-Z uses its epic quality to introduce an odd stanza structure, indeed, an insanely epic verse. The first verse goes as it's supposed to--sixteen bars. Rap is brought to you by the number Four. But the second verse is 48 bars, thrice as long as it "ought" to be. I think it's Jay-Z's most impressive verse in a lot of ways.

(I don't use the song in class because he deploys the racial epithet about a dozen times, so be aware of that before you listen).
    Thanks for that! Will check it out.

What do you teach?