Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Why Avery? He was 3-12 that game.
    Because Avery was a better three point shooter than Trajan was a penetrator.

Avery was obviously rattled having to play again Ricky Moore, but I also would rather Avery have hoisted one for the game winner. He was wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I was there, it was excruciatingly painful, but I don't agree we would have beaten them 90% of the time...that team was #1 in the country as much as Duke was that year, and they had a lot of great pieces that fit...a strong PG, a defensive whiz 2G, a capable, large big man, and Hamilton was, as you say, really really good...no one told him how out of vogue mid range games were...I couldn't stand that bunch, but they were good, and tough.
    They weren't really, back then though.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    For an all-time great team, we stunk that night (and were pretty flat against Michigan State in the semis). Brand tried to get his shot rather than pass out of triple teams -- brain dead.
    Huge problem all night. He did not shine on the biggest stage. He could have probably had a triple double with assists.

Duke didn't do a great job of creating shots through any mechanism that Monday night. Which is one reason they lost.

Frankly I think Calhoun outcoached K
    He did. I always wonder what would have happened if K had let Quinn coach instead. I know Coach was in a lot of pain.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Duke didn't do a great job of creating shots through any mechanism that Monday night. Which is one reason they lost.

Frankly I think Calhoun outcoached K. Everybody had been double-teaming Brand that season of course but Calhoun did it differently, fronting Brand and bringing the second defender from behind Brand. Duke didn't adjust.

And for whatever reason K essentially didn't use his bench in the second half. The starters played 176 of the 200 available minutes that game and Corey Maggette was the only reserve to score. But I believe he scored all eight of his points in the first half and barely got off the bench after intermission. UConn got 17 points off their bench in 43 bench minutes. Fatigue had to have been an issue for Duke in those final minutes.

And this was arguably K's best rebounding team. But UConn outrebounded Duke 38-27. Brand had 11 boards but got no help.

Better rebounding and some bench production and it doesn't come down to those final few seconds. But Langdon had 25 points that night and they weren't all from spot-ups. He was the only one of Duke's eight players who equaled his season scoring average. He has to get that final shot and Duke needed to figure out the best way to make that happen.
    I recall UConn also doing a good job of exploiting our universal switching on defense, and believe Calhoun specifically referenced that post-game in terms of how his (yearlong) scouting of Duke had paid off.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I recall UConn also doing a good job of exploiting our universal switching on defense, and believe Calhoun specifically referenced that post-game in terms of how his (yearlong) scouting of Duke had paid off.
    Those are exactly the two points I was going to make. I haven't re-watched the game (and I don't intend to), but I recall several instances of UConn setting a high ball screen which left Elton struggling to guard El-Amin. The use of ball screens to get favorable matchups is common these days, but I don't recall it being as common in the late 90s. If I recall correctly, then I give Calhoun a lot of credit for that aspect of his gameplan.*

The other point which worked against Duke from a gameplan perspective is that Duke was such a juggernaut in 1999, I expect nearly every major coach spent a fair amount of time during the season thinking about how what tactics he would try vs Duke. So, in a way, it was almost as if Calhoun had been scouting Duke for the entire season while Duke had a single day to scout UConn. It would have been fascinating to see what adjustments Coach K would have made if it had been a multi-game series.

FWIW, I suspect that Tom Izzo benefited from a similar asymmetrical scouting advantage against the 2019 Duke team. The odds are pretty good that Izzo spent more time over the course of the season thinking about he would try to limit Zion than Coach K spent thinking about how he would try to limit Cassius Winston. Conversely, I suspect Coach K spent more of the 90-91 season thinking about how he would handle a rematch with UNLV than Tarkanian spent thinking about a rematch with Duke.

*I don't know who should get "credit" for the refs suddenly changing how they would handle the block/charge call/no-call with Shane, but that is a whole different issue.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Those are exactly the two points I was going to make. I haven't re-watched the game (and I don't intend to), but I recall several instances of UConn setting a high ball screen which left Elton struggling to guard El-Amin. The use of ball screens to get favorable matchups is common these days, but I don't recall it being as common in the late 90s. If I recall correctly, then I give Calhoun a lot of credit for that aspect of his gameplan.*

The other point which worked against Duke from a gameplan perspective is that Duke was such a juggernaut in 1999, I expect nearly every major coach spent a fair amount of time during the season thinking about how what tactics he would try vs Duke. So, in a way, it was almost as if Calhoun had been scouting Duke for the entire season while Duke had a single day to scout UConn. It would have been fascinating to see what adjustments Coach K would have made if it had been a multi-game series.

FWIW, I suspect that Tom Izzo benefited from a similar asymmetrical scouting advantage against the 2019 Duke team. The odds are pretty good that Izzo spent more time over the course of the season thinking about he would try to limit Zion than Coach K spent thinking about how he would try to limit Cassius Winston. Conversely, I suspect Coach K spent more of the 90-91 season thinking about how he would handle a rematch with UNLV than Tarkanian spent thinking about a rematch with Duke.

*I don't know who should get "credit" for the refs suddenly changing how they would handle the block/charge call/no-call with Shane, but that is a whole different issue.
    Calhoun said in an interview that he had been scouting Duke all year.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Feeling bummed all over again
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    He did. I always wonder what would have happened if K had let Quinn coach instead. I know Coach was in a lot of pain.
    I also think Calhoun "out refereed" K that night...but that's another story. On Quinn....as a side note....I remember a startling comment from 850's Adam Gold at the time (and I find him normally pedantic and opinionated beyond his understanding...) - but this was quite the statement, in mid season, in context to K's health issues.....it was something to the effect of "for anyone under the impression that Coach K is coaching this team...they don't understand what Quinn Snyder is doing..."

Snyder has proven to be quite the coaching genius...the issues at Missouri notwithstanding...at every level, he tends to shock people with his basketball IQ...and I mean the players and coaches who work with him day to day.

That 99 championship against UConn absolutely left the most bitter taste in my mouth than any Duke defeat EVER! Even now, I still can’t believe that Duke team didn’t take care of business. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    That 99 championship against UConn absolutely left the most bitter taste in my mouth than any Duke defeat EVER! Even now, I still can’t believe that Duke team didn’t take care of business. Sad.
    the bagley/carter loss in the elite 8 is up there for me.
    1200. DDMF.