Error in NYT crossword puzzle?

I assume, possibly incorrectly, that there are others on DBR who do the New York Times crossword puzzle. I think there is a cluing error in today's puzzle. Spoilers ahead if you haven't finished yet.
    The theme revealer, 65A, was "Emulate Ferris Bueller" = SKIP SCHOOL.
    You had to "skip" the school in the theme answers for it to make sense with the clue.

17A - Express one's view = COMMITMENT - When you skip MIT, you get COMMENT
    26A - Kick off = STAYALERT
    57A - Reacts to an amazing magic trick, say = GASPRICES

The other theme clue was 40A - Sends, but I can't find the school to skip in the answer: SUNCHIPS

Did they get this wrong or am I just missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by LegoBatman View Post
    I assume, possibly incorrectly, that there are others on DBR who do the New York Times crossword puzzle. I think there is a cluing error in today's puzzle. Spoilers ahead if you haven't finished yet.
    You had to "skip" the school in the theme answers for it to make sense with the clue.

The other theme clue was 40A - Sends, but I can't find the school to skip in the answer: SUNCHIPS

I don't think the University of Northern Colorado has ever been referenced in a NY Times crossword puzzle before.

Quote Originally Posted by LegoBatman View Post

Any post with either a crossword reference or a snide dig will always get sporkz from me. A post with both is truly special.

I regret that I have but one spork to give...

Loosen your definition of school. A lot.

I watch movies and TV shows: such a grievous error in the NYT crossword puzzle must be a message to a terrorist demanding a college be sacrificed.

Pretty easy answer, as NYT puzzles go.

Actually, after your suggestion, I worked the puzzle successfully and still didn't have a clue what it was about until I read the rest of this thread.

I do have a PhD from one of those schools
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Actually, after your suggestion, I worked the puzzle successfully and still didn't have a clue what it was about until I read the rest of this thread.

I do have a PhD from one of those schools
    Crossword puzzles are just repetition and muscle memory. Love them. They make me feel smart.

I fell in love with my wife over a crossword puzzle. She knew the answer and how to spell Hammarskjold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Crossword puzzles are just repetition and muscle memory. Love them. They make me feel smart.

I fell in love with my wife over a crossword puzzle. She knew the answer and how to spell Hammarskjold.
    Dag! Including the umlaut?

Wasn’t he coach of the Swedish Bikini Team in the ‘80’s?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

I find regular crossword puzzles actually rather annoying. Once I started doing Cryptic Crosswords, there was really no turning back.

Anybody who hasn't tried them, you really need to give them a shot.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I’m a big fan of the WSJ crossword.

Red face

When I was a sophomore in college I picked up a NYT, saw the crossword and decided to give it a try. I finished 95% of it pretty quickly and later was telling someone that I didn’t understand why people acted like NYT’s puzzles were so hard. He asked me when I did the puzzle and I replied “Monday, why?” He started laughing and I had no idea why.