Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I know it's been said many times in other posts; but respectfully, if you are going to bring up these points as reasons for why it's ok to move on and not consider Coach G, the rehire of Mack Brown pokes holes in those points. He chose to leave UNC as well. He was out of coaching for several years; and yet he was able to catch lightning in the bottle twice at UNC. I'm not saying Gail would've had the same level of success; but it doesn't mean that she wouldn't either. While she chose to leave Duke, it seemed like a major reason for her doing so goes back to her not feeling appreciated or respected by Joe Alleva for all of her accomplishments with the program. If Alleva had done things differently, I strongly feel that she would've remained at Duke.

Please don't think I am attacking you. I appreciate you being respectful of Coach G while also being open-minded to someone other than her being the next HC.
    Thanks, I appreciate the thoughtful response.

Has Mack really caught lightning in a bottle the second time? Probably too early to tell. The Heels were 7-6 last year, and tied for third in the Coastal. They lost to App State in Chapel Hill. Certainly an improvement over The Hat, but the jury is still out.

Mack is also in the College Football Hall of Fame. So maybe not an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Still, your point is very well-taken.

I know it's been said many times in other posts; but respectfully, if you are going to bring up these points as reasons for why it's ok to move on and not consider Coach G, the rehire of Mack Brown pokes holes in those points. He chose to leave UNC as well. He was out of coaching for several years; and yet he was able to catch lightning in the bottle twice at UNC. I'm not saying Gail would've had the same level of success; but it doesn't mean that she wouldn't either. While she chose to leave Duke, it seemed like a major reason for her doing so goes back to her not feeling appreciated or respected by Joe Alleva for all of her accomplishments with the program. If Alleva had done things differently, I strongly feel that she would've remained at Duke.

Please don't think I am attacking you. I appreciate you being respectful of Coach G while also being open-minded to someone other than her being the next HC.
    Oh, my! Mack Brown as a comparison?

First, it's UNC, not Duke -- why is that any standard for comparison, especially on this Board.

Second, he left a good NCAA football program at UNC to go to one of the best at Texas; Goestenkors went from one of the best to one that was clearly at a lower level. That's almost unprecedented -- and could be disqualifying.

Third, Mack Brown won a national championship at Texas and finished 1st or 2nd in the Big 12 South 12 years in a row and was 10-5 in bowl games; Gail never made it past the 2nd round of the NCAA's in her five years (record 1-5) or finished higher than T-4 in conference standings.

Fourth, it's UNC, of doubtful relevance to Duke -- oh, I already said that.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 07-06-2020 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Added stuff
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Mack is also in the College Football Hall of Fame. So maybe not an apples-to-oranges comparison.
    With all due respect - and there is plenty for you, OPK...

https://www.wbhof.com/famers/gail-goestenkors/

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    With all due respect - and there is plenty for you, OPK...

https://www.wbhof.com/famers/gail-goestenkors/
    Thanks for the info, I stand corrected.

A bit premature in claiming that Brown has caught lightning in a bottle twice. Reverse that botched play on the 1 yard line by Duke... and Mack Brown would have been spending his Christmas at home instead of in Maryland preparing for a bowl He has done a great job in recruiting for 2021 I will admit.

Hmmm

I thought that Lindsay Harding at 36 and Joy (Cheek) Smith at 32 seemed a bit young, but then I looked up a certain legendary Duke coach, and it turns out he was hired at 33. Of course he was an Army officer and then a head coach by 28, but all of a sudden Harding and Smith don't seem so young.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I thought that Lindsay Harding at 36 and Joy (Cheek) Smith at 32 seemed a bit young, but then I looked up a certain legendary Duke coach, and it turns out he was hired at 33. Of course he was an Army officer and then a head coach by 28, but all of a sudden Harding and Smith don't seem so young.
    Coach G was 29 when hired by Duke!

A Tom Butters hire. That's two-for-two in hoops.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The most obvious benefits of bringing Gail back would be the likelihood of (a) an immediate resumption of support for the program from many former season ticket holders who became disenchanted with Coach McCallie, and from many of Gail's former players whose names are recognizable to recruits as well as fans; and (b) an easier transition for the "new coach" based on Gail's familiarity with many of the people in DUAA and with the Duke/Durham community. I'm confident that Dr. White and others in DUAA who might be participating in the hiring process took the importance of those potential advantages into consideration -- and certainly they were already aware of the former players' preference -- when weighing the various factors involved in the decision to exclude Gail from the search at the outset.

We don't know what other factors entered into the decision, or how those factors were evaluated and balanced. FWIW, I doubt that her reasons for leaving Duke, which I understood at the time to be a mix of personal and professional, played a significant role in those deliberations. We may learn more when the process is completed. But at this point the reasons for Duke's decision not to regard Gail as an eligible candidate are moot.

There's no doubt that the support of former season ticket holders and players could accelerate the rebuilding of the Duke women's basketball program. While it may take longer for a new coach with no previous Duke ties to to earn that support, I believe it will help to advance the process if we accept Dr. White's decision to move on and not saddle the next coach with the added burden of laboring in the shadows of a much-lamented predecessor.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Coach G was 29 when hired by Duke!

A Tom Butters hire. That's two-for-two in hoops.
    Eddie Cameron was 26 when he became Duke MBB head coach. Vic Bubas was 32.

So, it can happen.

Then again, Cameron became head coach before the Great Depression. Things might have changed a bit.

Back to your regular programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    not saddle the next coach with the added burden of laboring in the shadows of a much-lamented predecessor.
    at Duke? never /s

Just one idiot’s opinion, of course, but ...

I’ll be disappointed if it’s anybody but Gottlieb. I think it’s beyond reasoned dispute that she has the best resume, and Duke should be able to make her an offer that’s comfortably in excess of the going rate for NBA assistants.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

I’ll be disappointed if it’s anybody but Gottlieb.
    I dunno. He's alarmingly unqualified.

Oh, sorry. I thought you meant Doug Gottlieb. Never mind.

(Lindsay would be a good get.)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

I’ll be disappointed if it’s anybody but Gottlieb. I think it’s beyond reasoned dispute that she has the best resume, and Duke should be able to make her an offer that’s comfortably in excess of the going rate for NBA assistants.
    I don't think it is about money for her. I've been reading a few articles, and you can tell that she is enjoying doing what she is doing in the NBA. She was a head coach at Cal for 9 years. Been there, done that, on to new roads. She was even offered a head coaching job for a G League team and turned it down.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I don't think it is about money for her. I've been reading a few articles, and you can tell that she is enjoying doing what she is doing in the NBA. She was a head coach at Cal for 9 years. Been there, done that, on to new roads. She was even offered a head coaching job for a G League team and turned it down.
    that's my thought. it would be a step backwards. Cal was already paying her in the range of what I assume Duke would like to offer. If she wanted to be coaching at the college level, she would be.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    that's my thought. it would be a step backwards. Cal was already paying her in the range of what I assume Duke would like to offer. If she wanted to be coaching at the college level, she would be.
    Gottlieb and Harding both have a chance to do something no other woman has done, be an NBA head coach. If that is a realistic goal and if either is absolutely committed to seeing that through then I can't see Duke being able to match that. Or any other college.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate the thoughtful response.

Has Mack really caught lightning in a bottle the second time? Probably too early to tell. The Heels were 7-6 last year, and tied for third in the Coastal. They lost to App State in Chapel Hill. Certainly an improvement over The Hat, but the jury is still out.

Still, your point is very well-taken.
    So is Gail Goestenkors.

Goestenkors was inducted into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame as one of six members of the Class of 2015.

Gottlieb would be a tremendous disappointment and the result of looking at a resume and not the entire picture.

Gottlieb started off strong at Cal, with Joanne Boyle's players, getting the team to the Final Four in 2013.

In the years after that, however, she was completely unable to keep up with the PAC 12. In her last four years, she could not crack the top four in the conference. While Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, and Stanford all became Final Four teams afterward, Cal took a noticeable step back, even with Kristine Anigwe there for Gottlieb's last four years.

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    Gottlieb would be a tremendous disappointment and the result of looking at a resume and not the entire picture.

Gottlieb started off strong at Cal, with Joanne Boyle's players, getting the team to the Final Four in 2013.

In the years after that, however, she was completely unable to keep up with the PAC 12. In her last four years, she could not crack the top four in the conference. While Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, and Stanford all became Final Four teams afterward, Cal took a noticeable step back, even with Kristine Anigwe there for Gottlieb's last four years.
    wow this sounds familiar to what we had here with McCallie following Coach G. She did really well the first few years after Coach G and then things took a very noticeable down turn.

Not to mention...

What we are really concerned about: the postseason.

After the Final Four team in 2013, it was NCAA second round, second round, didn't make it, second round, first round, second round. Her Pac 12 record in those six years is 56-52.

Next play.

Which brings up a question perhaps someone can answer - what about Boyle? The issus with her adoption resolved last year, she's coached in the ACC and she's an alum.