Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I think GG wants to be a HC again in college and not a special assistant.
    She's sure taking her sweet time, then. Or is the world not beating down the door to hire her?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Maybe the extension was cheaper in dollars and PR than a potential lawsuit.
    that was my best guess...but it doesn't totally explain the ridiculous raise.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    She's sure taking her sweet time, then. Or is the world not beating down the door to hire her?
    i'd guess with the salary she believes she can command, and the failure at texas, her asking price may be unpalatable.

For better or worse, given where the program is right now, I think the list of candidates will ultimately end up being somewhat limited by what the department is willing to pay.
    1200. DDMF.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    I believe she only “announced” she was ready to come back this past season. And then everything shut down. As a result, this is only the fourth P6 (Power 5 plus Big East) job open. Villanova was a long-announced retirement, filled with a former player and mid-major coach. Texas didn’t renew their coaches contract, and poached an Austin native from the SEC (Miss. State) who then replaced him with a mid-major coach. Not a lot of opportunity for a returning coach that based on previous accomplishments would expect consideration for a Major job. While Miss. State has done well recently, it may not have been the type of job (and location) that Coach G would want.

9Not specifically defending her, just pointing out the logistics as I see them. Nobody was beating down Mack Brown’s door, either, to pick a frequently mentioned analogy.)

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    In all fairness to Kevin White, he has been in a tough position with Coach P since he came to Duke. I'm not excusing his decisions but I get it. With no insider knowledge, I would imagine that he thought the HR investigation might have forced her to resign (i.e., she would quit on her own knowing that writing was on the wall with regards to not being retained once her current contract ended); but to P's credit, she didn't quit and basically dared White to fire her. If he had fired her, Duke would've owed her a lot of money. I believe she had retained a lawyer and was threatening a law suit against Duke if she was fired. White blinked; and allowed her to continue as HC once the HR report came back with nothing to support a "show cause" reason to fire McCallie. In hindsight, he probably should've had an outside firm come in and do the investigation; but again, I'm not sure he wanted to go to that expense to try to find proof of reasons to fire her and void the remaining years of her contract.

As far as extending her contract years earlier, I thought that was a mistake; but again, I get it. She was coming off some fairly successful recruiting runs and was going to the elite 8. At that time, I'm not sure if Coach G, Alana or Lindsey would have been interested in the Duke job; and I'm not sure there was a good choice out there that was interested. With no "perceived" good alternatives out there then, White probably felt he had no other choice but to continue with McCallie. He probably thought it was the best choice financially for the program as well. I thought there were signs years ago that this relationship with Coach P was not going to work out; but as some pointed out to me in the past, there were statistical data that provided arguably strong support for keeping P.

Personally, I think he was fine with the level of success McCallie had; and I don't think he was as focused on DWB winning NCs as he was getting Duke football back to being a legitimate program and keeping the DMB at an elite level. Obviously, one could argue that if this was the case, that thought process was part of the problem of why the DWB is in the position that it is now.

I think the real person to blame is Joe Alleva. IMO, he never should've forced Coach G out. He hired McCallie and thought she would be the one to get DWB over the hump and win NCs.

As far as the possibility of Coach G, I would love to have her back here. Count me as one of the ones that point to the success of Mack Brown as proof she would be successful again. Imo, let her coach at Duke for as long as she wants to and has the program at an elite level (which I believe she would do) while mentoring any or all of Alana, Lindsey, and Joy to be a HC; and potentially takeover the program whenever G was ready to step down this time. I could see G coaching into her 70s at Duke if she really wanted to come back to Duke and be the HC. I'm not concerned about any perceptions.

I don't take joy in seeing Coach P resigned. While I was not a fan of her coaching philosophies toward defense and offense, I do think she genuinely loved being at Duke, representing the school, and being the HC of DWB. I wish her and her family well as they move forward on their new journey. With that said, I am extremely excited about the direction the DWB program can now go; and I hope Kevin White chooses wisely. If he can get this hire right, I believe he can erase any damage he cause by letting this McCallie saga continue for so long.
    Well-stated. Can’t argue with much of what you wrote.

Maybe she had a strong inkling of a job opening up at a place she likes?

Gonna be an interesting few years. Arguably the three biggest names in ACC Women's Basketball are going to have new(ish) coaches this year. uNC 2nd year, Notre Dame 1st year, Duke 1st year. Jeff Walz is working on getting Louisville here, but I said "names", not current state of the programs.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Like espn or not, here's an extensive article on prospects:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...nne-p-mccallie
    Very happy to see Joy Cheek on that list. (Now Joy Smith, didn't know she had gotten married.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    In the article that Dudog linked, GG is the first candidate named. Here is one of the quotes.

"I've never felt more confident about coaching than I do today," Goestenkors told ESPN on Thursday. "I'm reminded of a conversation I had last year with UNC football coach Mack Brown upon his return to coaching. He talked about missing the locker room and the energy of teaching and coaching young people. I can relate to that 100 percent."
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Another good item on the job and the prospects who might be interested or looked at: https://thenext.substack.com/p/dukes...allie-resigned
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Maybe the extension was cheaper in dollars and PR than a potential lawsuit.
    A lawsuit about contract non-renewal was always bound to be a loser for Coach P. That was never a risk. White was fooled by the W-L record, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    In the article that Dudog linked, GG is the first candidate named. Here is one of the quotes.
    I've known forever not to knock Gail Goestenkors. And there is no doubt she knows how to win at Duke.

Uh_no's post above might show the biggest obstacle to G's return (assuming she would want to), which is the salary she might demand.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I've known forever not to knock Gail Goestenkors. And there is no doubt she knows how to win at Duke.

Uh_no's post above might show the biggest obstacle to G's return (assuming she would want to), which is the salary she might demand.
    I love GG. If she wants to get back in coaching , she needs tgo temper her salary demands.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I love GG. If she wants to get back in coaching , she needs tgo temper her salary demands.
    Have we seen that is she demanding high dollars? Yeah, she did an amazing job at Duke, but bombed at Texas. Are we sure she is going to be asking lots? (BTW, IF her ask is what P was getting paid, I'd take that risk.)

Have we seen that is she demanding high dollars? Yeah, she did an amazing job at Duke, but bombed at Texas. Are we sure she is going to be asking lots? (BTW, IF her ask is what P was getting paid, I'd take that risk.)
    IMHO, that would be way above her market value. BTW, I have no idea what her askimg price might be.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

There's a good chance the TV money party is over. I don't see ACC members getting $30M (2019) again. The mouse has closed all parks, and it's showing competitive tiddlywinks on TV. Decreased salaries will apply to every P5 job, however.

Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    I mentioned her in another thread, but if you went with someone with non-Duke ties... Jennie Baranczyk of Drake would make some sense. She's been successful at a mid-major.. her teams are known for their high octane offenses... and she is just 38 years old.

Baranczyk? A college basketball coach could never succeed with an unpronounceable/unspellable name like Baranczyk!

Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    I mentioned her in another thread, but if you went with someone with non-Duke ties... Jennie Baranczyk of Drake would make some sense. She's been successful at a mid-major.. her teams are known for their high octane offenses... and she is just 38 years old.
    Drake? Might work at Duke.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'When I started at Duke in the mid-20th century, Duke was much less well-known nationally. My freshman dorm had a guy from the Midwest whose neighbors all thought he was going to "Drake." Another couple of guys from Pittsburgh had to convince people that "Duke" was different from "Duquesne"'

'And of course the propaganda inside the state of North Carolina was that Duke was where all the Yankees went to school. At that time Duke was 45 percent from North Carolina, with a healthy helping of kids from South Carolina and Virginia'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Drake? Might work at Duke.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'When I started at Duke in the mid-20th century, Duke was much less well-known nationally. My freshman dorm had a guy from the Midwest whose neighbors all thought he was going to "Drake." Another couple of guys from Pittsburgh had to convince people that "Duke" was different from "Duquesne"'

'And of course the propaganda inside the state of North Carolina was that Duke was where all the Yankees went to school. At that time Duke was 45 percent from North Carolina, with a healthy helping of kids from South Carolina and Virginia'
    I'm from western PA, but about 90 miles from Pittsburgh. When I made my decision in '80, my aunt (who was one of the few college graduates in the family) expressed great excitement that I was going to Duquesne. My father still is not convinced of the value of a college education.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Baranczyk? A college basketball coach could never succeed with an unpronounceable/unspellable name like Baranczyk!
    Baranczyk? Isn’t that Krzyzewski spelled sideways?