Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    ????

(I'm unable to reproduce the bolded as those 3 letters all show up in lower case .)

Must spread even more sporks, blah blah blah
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    It is great hire - clearly she will have to prove herself as a coach- but on paper she is tough to beat. I am interested to see what she can do with the program.
    Thanks to Steve Pagliuca for possibly delivering possibly the best candidate in the USA for Duke Women's Basketball.

May 1, 2024 - Lawson departs Duke to return to her alma mater, Tennessee

I'm not sure what to think about the hiring of Lawson. I think she has the work ethic, personality to attract recruits, and the knowledge of the game. However, Lawson has a TON to learn about being a head coach. She better win a lot early because its going to take a while for her to find her groove coaching. Her staff better include someone who knows a lot about coaching college kids.

My biggest issue is if she is a success at Duke and Kelli Harper eventually flames out at Tennessee like she did at NC State, is there anyone out there who thinks Lawson wont take the Tennessee job?

In terms of potential hires that could immediately come in and make a big splash in recruiting, Lawson is probably at the top of the list. Her work with USA Basketball will at least give her the ability to jump in with players, although learning the rest of the recruiting process will require work. She should also have a pretty good network for possible support staff. Not having an existing team and knowing she will need people to learn from should mean that she will try to get the best people possible for any openings.

I realized that I did not put the wildcard pick that I wanted to on my original list so pretend that it also had Lisa Thomaidis of the University of Saskatchewan and the Canadian National Team.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilsince72 View Post
    I'm not sure what to think about the hiring of Lawson. I think she has the work ethic, personality to attract recruits, and the knowledge of the game. However, Lawson has a TON to learn about being a head coach. She better win a lot early because its going to take a while for her to find her groove coaching. Her staff better include someone who knows a lot about coaching college kids.

My biggest issue is if she is a success at Duke and Kelli Harper eventually flames out at Tennessee like she did at NC State, is there anyone out there who thinks Lawson wont take the Tennessee job?
    Part of the question seems to revolve around she was a candidate at any level for the job last year. Some of their fans certainly wanted her then.

Why would the Tennessee job — in a few years if Harper is fired — necessarily be better than the Duke job at that point? What if Lawson were to have notable success within her first couple of seasons and was seemingly building Duke back into a perennial powerhouse like it was during the Coach G years?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

She will. At the drop of a hat.
    That is IF she succeeds at Duke. This is a wicked double edge sword. This isn't Cut being called back home, which we all went through. Thing about Cut, it wasn't truly "home" for him, and also, he had lots of people he was protecting, thankfully, that kept him at Duke.
    The DWBB staff isn't that big.

Kara may coach Duke, but it isn't her roots. She's not on the board of trustees at Duke like she as at Tennessee.
    If they come calling...she's gonna give a Cameron style "AhhhhSeeeeeeya".
    This throws Duke (and White) in a bad spot. IF she brings us back to elite status, we'll be thrilled. And we'll be eyeing Knoxville. IF she fails, we'll be eyeing White...this is his first big hire.
    I dunno. I do know that I want her to succeed because that means the team does. I don't want the "big name Danny Manning hire/failure" as was mentioned above.
    I don't expect instant success on the court. What I will be looking for is how our 2022 class is looking. Who does she bring in, and then when she does, how do they do under her? Two years down the road seems far away, but that's when we get our first real taste.
    And if that class fails, then pffft. Let's hope Dr. White doesn't offer a long contract to start.
    But if that class takes off (and I hope it does), then let's hope Duke matches Tennessee's offer.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Lawson & Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Why would the Tennessee job — in a few years if Harper is fired — necessarily be better than the Duke job at that point? What if Lawson were to have notable success within her first couple of seasons and was seemingly building Duke back into a perennial powerhouse like it was during the Coach G years?
    Its her Alma Mater and she is a legend there. Tennessee is only behind UCONN when it comes to being the most successful program in women's basketball history. They will get 20,000 a game when they are winning. It would be like Roy coming home to Carolina. Kansas was one of the blueblood programs and going to Final 4s with Roy and he still left because UNC was his alma mater and he couldn't stand seeing the UNC program in the dumps.

While I believe Duke is a great job, Kara is a former UT (University of Tennessee) player and alum; UT might have the resources to pay her more if and when they come calling. That said, this speculation is all based on Kara becoming a successful HC at Duke.

Kara leaving for UT is my biggest concern if she becomes successful at Duke along with her lack of coaching experience and recruiting at the college level.

I still think Gail should've had the opportunity to come back and be the HC; or a former player like Harding who is familiar with Duke and the Duke culture.

That said, Kara is an intriguing choice; and if she becomes the HC, I will support her and wish her the best. The DWB program needs this decision to be a great choice imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    I like the fact that she’s learning under Brad Stevens who is one of the smart minds in coaching out there. Also last time we picked a HC with UT ties that worked out damn well! Lastly this would be a first for us, Duke to finally hire a minority to run a major program. She has all the credentials I believe and I’m pretty certain she’d surround herself with a good staff n hopefully a former Duke player or 2 on her staff who would help her better understand the culture n type of student athletes to recruit who could succeed at Duke.
    So, first Duke gets Kara Lawson from the Celtics ☘️ and then gets Brad Stevens, right? I’m good with that. In fact, I’m ECSTATIC with that.

It’s going to be a Celtics-to-Duke two-fer deal with part of it simply being delayed by a few years. I can wait, no problem.

Any woman who found McCallie's team unwatchable is a strong candidate in my book. Bring her on!

Most people on this board feel positive thoughts about David Cutcliffe as our football coach, and he very nearly left for the Tennessee job. He stayed only because he couldn't bring his entire Duke staff with him, and he was loyal to them.
    I get it, it was his dream job...you just have to live with stuff like this.

If our biggest problem is being too successful to keep our coach, well — that’s better than the problem we’ve had the last tenure.

But we’re getting WAY ahead of ourselves to even have that concern right now.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If our biggest problem is being too successful to keep our coach, well — that’s better than the problem we’ve had the last tenure.

Losing coaches? Doesn't happen very often at Duke -- in any sport. Harold Bradley left Duke for Texas in 1959. He had done OK at Duke, but his leaving enabled Duke to hire Vic Bubas, who revolutionized college hoops recruiting and brought us three Final Fours and many All-Americans. We also lost Coach G to Texas in 2007, a move she now probably regrets. We lost Spurrier, and that is the only clear case of losing a coach to a better program.

And, of course, Duke shocked the sports world in 1930 by hiring Wallace Wade from Alabama, where he had led the Tide to three Rose Bowls (2-0-1).

Losing Kara Lawson to Tennessee would be the last thing on my mind as (and if) she starts coaching at Duke. Duke basketball -- famous the world over.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I am very excited by the Lawson possibility. She’s got a very impressive resume and I believe she’ll recruit elite talent.

I’m trying to figure out what my 95 year old a Mom thinks. She loved a Coach G and despised what P did to the program. Once Mom’s on board we’re all in.

Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

If we want to consider the hypothetical of her leaving Duke for Tennessee a few years down the line, then that would mean that she would have done such a great job at Duke that her alma mater had to have her back.

That is a risk I am more than willing to take.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    If we want to consider the hypothetical of her leaving Duke for Tennessee a few years down the line, then that would mean that she would have done such a great job at Duke that her alma mater had to have her back.

Different context, but fears of losing Lawson (whom we haven't signed) remind me of the concerns on DBR that Ted Roof would leave when he beat Georgia Tech and UNC in 2003 during his first partial season.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Losing coaches? Doesn't happen very often at Duke -- in any sport. Harold Bradley left Duke for Texas in 1959. He had done OK at Duke, but his leaving enabled Duke to hire Vic Bubas, who revolutionized college hoops recruiting and brought us three Final Fours and many All-Americans. We also lost Coach G to Texas in 2007, a move she now probably regrets. We lost Spurrier, and that is the only clear case of losing a coach to a better program.

And, of course, Duke shocked the sports world in 1930 by hiring Wallace Wade from Alabama, where he had led the Tide to three Rose Bowls (2-0-1).

Losing Kara Lawson to Tennessee would be the last thing on my mind as (and if) she starts coaching at Duke. Duke basketball -- famous the world over.
    There’s also Bill Foster to South Carolina, the weirdest of them all.

I sure hope not, not least because I want to see Kellie Harper succeed. She makes me Jolly.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post

My line of thinking as well. If Duke get's back to being a conference champ and makes it to Elite 8 status, then DWBB program will be an attractive job for the next coach. Next play!
    GoDuke!

I fought the law, and the Lawson won:

https://twitter.com/GwashburnGlobe/s...480418817?s=19