Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    PS...per the pregnancy, does anyone remember Brenda Frese coaching from a reclining office chair during hers? I think she beat Duke at least once from that thing.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    PS...per the pregnancy, does anyone remember Brenda Frese coaching from a reclining office chair during hers? I think she beat Duke at least once from that thing.
    She's closing in on 500 wins!

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

And she was carrying TWINS! Big. Damn. Hero.

@JimmyHyams
    Kara Lawson, former star for the Lady Vols and assistant coach for the Boston Celtics, has emerged as a leading candidate for the Duke women's basketball job.

Thoughts?
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    @JimmyHyams
    Kara Lawson, former star for the Lady Vols and assistant coach for the Boston Celtics, has emerged as a leading candidate for the Duke women's basketball job.

Thoughts?
    UGH!!!! I loathe her! She has belittled Duke during her ESPN broadcasts so many times! Biggest one that stands out was during a game that we losing (again) to UCONN, and her comment was "there was a waste of 40 minutes".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

UGH!!!! I loathe her! She has belittled Duke during her ESPN broadcasts so many times! Biggest one that stands out was during a game that we losing (again) to UCONN, and her comment was "there was a waste of 40 minutes".
    She was specifically and routinely belittling P's coaching, not Duke.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Well, I guess we wouldn't have to worry about continuing P's choice of playstyle....
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

And I can see we're off to a good start.

It seems to me that Lawson's only coaching experience has been this past year as an assistant with the Celtics. No college experience in coaching nor recruiting.
    I don't understand the attraction at all.

Story out from the N&O about how she is close to being hired. Sigh.
    https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...244129572.html

The fact that she rightly criticized our coaching while we got obliterated once again by UConn is a good sign that her standards are appropriately high for a program like Duke's.

That's a good start, in my opinion.

When she and Brad Stevens are running the women's and men's programs together at Duke, they'll have a significant task in maintaining and advancing Duke's high standards on and off the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    The fact that she rightly criticized our coaching while we got obliterated once again by UConn is a good sign that her standards are appropriately high for a program like Duke's.
    2/3 of this board rightfully criticized our coaching. It doesn't mean any of us are qualified to take over, though. She has no experience in what it takes to run a college program other than being a player.
    Who knows, if she's hired, maybe she will be great, but I'm missing something here big time.

It seems to me that Lawson's only coaching experience has been this past year as an assistant with the Celtics. No college experience in coaching nor recruiting.
    I don't understand the attraction at all.

Story out from the N&O about how she is close to being hired. Sigh.
    https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...244129572.html
    College coaching experience aside, she seems like a class act. Hired by the Celtics as a coach; played in the WNBA for 13 years; serves as a trustee for the U. of Tennessee; Olympic gold in Beijing (also World U. Games); media professional.

I hope Kara is an inspired choice. She at least will know the names of the players, not just their numbers.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'We won't mark her down 'cuz she was at Sidwell Friends with Chelsea Clinton for at least one year'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

She's only been with the Celts for a year...is that too soon to depart?

I believe any coach hired without significant coaching experience would address that in her staff.

The Chronicle is indicating that she may be hired as early as today.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

2/3 of this board rightfully criticized our coaching. It doesn't mean any of us are qualified to take over, though. She has no experience in what it takes to run a college program other than being a player.
    Who knows, if she's hired, maybe she will be great, but I'm missing something here big time.
    That's of course a separate point than I was making, but I digress.

As massively impressively as the people on DBR are, I'd be willing to bet that you're right. But I'd also be willing to bet that none of those people have amassed Coach Lawson's record of achievement on the basketball court as a player.

Is it a risk to hire someone whose only coaching experience is one season as an assistant to one of the best basketball coaches in America, and whose pedigree included being a star player for the greatest women's basketball coach of all time? Sure. But is the potential reward enormous? I think so.

Definitely a less certain hire than others that AD White could make.

Regardless, let's not compare us DBR posters' credentials to that of one of the more impressive college basketball players of the last 20 years.

I'm 100% on board. She's got star power and a track record of success at everything she's done so far, and the NBA experience is an unusual feather in her cap. It's the kind of hire that could inject a ton of energy into what had become a depressing program. My big fear (aside from lack of HC experience) is that the Vols will eventually come calling, and I can't imagine her saying no.

ETA: yet another HC we would have to worry about being poached by UT.
    Also ETA: wow, imagine getting to play for Pat Summitt and then being at Duke coaching hoops alongside Coach K. She'll have some stories to tell

sounds like she would have fit right in with most posts on this board during such games. Not that I totally am a fan of saying it like that on air, but it's not like the sentiment was not shared by most here.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    I'm 100% on board. She's got star power and a track record of success at everything she's done so far, and the NBA experience is an unusual feather in her cap. It's the kind of hire that could inject a ton of energy into what had become a depressing program. My big fear (aside from lack of HC experience) is that the Vols will eventually come calling, and I can't imagine her saying no.

ETA: yet another HC we would have to worry about being poached by UT.
    While I agree with the concern about lack of experience, if the price is right, it is certainly worth the risk.

I understand the program wanting new blood, and pulling in someone who has been at a program at the heights of its success, and who played for oen of the most illustrious coaches of all time. Ideally she'll have some mix of talent on her staff to address both a lack of HC and Duke experience.

Either way, if she's willing to jump at a price, it could be a boon. We shall see, presumably.
    April 1